Author Topic: Ground Detail  (Read 2025 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
It's not that I like to argue, it's just that you're either intentionally dishonest, or simply don't know what you're talking about. Either of those is sufficient grounds to fight any of your ideas to "fix" something, in my book.

Yes, in my time here, I've taken a tank out once or twice. They're neat, but all you gamey tards turning your details way down, despite the fact that you have far better computers than I do, sort of takes the fun out of it. I normally just stick to defending bases now, as that negates the advantages to some extent. I can still hide on my field.

lol n/m not even worth a responce..
"strafing"

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
Yep that's the worst part about it.. While you might be hiding in trees, you see the trees and can't see the other guy even if your graphics are set at low. Yet the guy 2k away can still see you and it's only a matter of time before he hits you.

Kilz.. There is only so much you can do other than hope the guy is a bad aim. Sure I have my own tricks for trying to counter this, but it's pretty much only for defense. There isn't much you can do if you are the one advancing. btw killz ground mode is nothing more that full vis settings if I'm not mistaken.

Honestly I'd love to hear from someone whom can say their PC won't run the GV end of this game at full detail. Swoop just said his PC will run it, and I know that my 4 year old PC would run it before I built my new one.

IMO the only way to fix this and I really don't think it would be a hard thing to do, is to force ground mode view for all GV's.  I mean lets get real, how many people are actually playing this game with a 900mhz p3 with 256mb's of ram?

I wouldn't expect HTC crew to drop everything to fix this, right this min.  I do however think it should be something that is put on the plate for one of the future updates.

ground mode and full vis mode are two diffrent modes try checking it out wile you are flying and gvin
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »
Originally posted by kilz
ground mode and full vis mode are two diffrent modes try checking it out wile you are flying and gvin

Rgr.. I thought it was just full vis, because I'm always at full vis and when ever I've tried to switch from normal to ground vis I never saw a difference. Even with my old PC.

Regardless of the deference between full vis or ground vis, this is still a problem that needs to be dealt with at some point. It really does take away from the fun of GV'ing.

I know I've busted up a few of  the LTAR's base captures driving around in a M8 and had a blast doing it. That was one of my favorite things to do with GV's, sneak around in a M8 and turret the other GV's then kill them being a sneaky S.O.B.  Now days it's next to impossible to do anything like that, due to once again people figuring out a way to game the game. (not meaning u LTAR's do it, just in general)
"strafing"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Ground Detail
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »
This is just a thought here, but I'd love to suggest forcing "full" visibility for GV's in regards to the ground detail. I'm trying not to post this as a whine, but it's getting to the point GVing isn't even fun anymore.

It wasn't so bad before IMO as it seemed most players didn't do it. Now days every tom, dick and hairy lowers their detail so they can see through the trees and everything else.

IMO full ground detail should be "forced" by the game when in you are in a GV. It shouldn't even be an option to lower it. Getting shot from 5k away when there are hedgerows trees and everything under the sun between you and the other guy is getting pretty dam old.

It's so bad now, that if you don't do it too, you get killed by the guys doing it. So why can't we just force the players to play honest and just Force full detail settings while in GV's?

Just a thought..

i'll start off by stating that i truely sukc in gv's...and you don't need anythingf special to kill me in one.......BUT....NOW i know how the hell i'm getting hit by guys that i can't even see....i see their rounds comming up over a hill, and they manage to hit and sometimes kill me.:noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Ground Detail
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »
I originally posted I thought it should be full vis forced because the map is built with those objects so they should be seen. The other option sounded reasonable to me as well. As said by another in this thread, you would have to have a pretty bad PC to not be able to play this game at full vis in GV's. My 4 year old PC was able to play GV's just fine at full vis, until I replaced it this year with a new build.

It might be a small problem for you likely because you probably don't GV very much. There are a lot of people however that do GV a good portion of their play time. So it's not any less important IMO than some dweeby way to glitch while flying a airplane.

for the most part, i agree with ya......my loder puter with the amd sathalon cpu and geforce6800gt vid does about 20-40fps......but my new puter.......3.1ghz, geforce7600 vid, only does 8-10fps.......soooooo.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 04:26:47 PM »
No need to force anything. Just tie when the gv is drawn to object detail.

Can't see the trees or the hill? NP you can't see the GV either.
See Rule #4

Offline swoop777

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/swoop777
Ground Detail
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »
Well, I think the solution is simple then, if I am beside a tree that disappears then I should disappear to that way the crybabies with cheap systems can have good frame rate and I can have my ambush!:aok

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
It's not that I like to argue, it's just that you're either intentionally dishonest, or simply don't know what you're talking about. Either of those is sufficient grounds to fight any of your ideas to "fix" something, in my book.

Yes, in my time here, I've taken a tank out once or twice. They're neat, but all you gamey tards turning your details way down, despite the fact that you have far better computers than I do, sort of takes the fun out of it. I normally just stick to defending bases now, as that negates the advantages to some extent. I can still hide on my field.

Once or twice? You did 135 sorties in a GV last tour alone. Dunno why you're arguing with this guy. All he is asking for is a even playing field as far as GVs go. He is against being able to turn the details down to no trees and buildings.
He doesn't want to do it because everyone else is. He just wants it so everyone can enjoy the GVs as there entended to be enjoyed. Part of GVing is sneaking around to set up a shot on someone. I can't figure out why this is so hard for you to comprehend. I understand those that want better frame rates. But to make a setting that people can use to game the game and ruin the fun of the game to me is something I would think HT would want fixed. I have no perfect answer to make everyone happy. But the bottom line is rendering the graphics where there not seen to me is lame.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2007, 07:20:34 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
No need to force anything. Just tie when the gv is drawn to object detail.

Can't see the trees or the hill? NP you can't see the GV either.

That doesn't solve the problem.  It just turns the tables and gives the guys who can turn detail up the advantage.

I don't remember this being an issue in AH1.  I wonder what changed in II?  It might be worth re-visiting how this was dealt with in AH1.

The other option is to program it so that if an unseen object is between you and the enemy then the enemy isn't rendered but they are if they come out from behind it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2007, 08:22:21 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
That doesn't solve the problem.  It just turns the tables and gives the guys who can turn detail up the advantage.

I don't remember this being an issue in AH1.  I wonder what changed in II?  It might be worth re-visiting how this was dealt with in AH1.

The other option is to program it so that if an unseen object is between you and the enemy then the enemy isn't rendered but they are if they come out from behind it.

How? If your hiding behind a hill or trees I still couldn't see you with detail turned up..

I said detail not distance.
See Rule #4

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Ground Detail
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2007, 08:27:46 PM »
Originally posted by SFCHONDO
May as well go back to AW graphics then so the few with crappy PCs can have higher Frame Rates. Sorry but the game should not allow people to not have to render the graphics. Everyone should have to see the same thing. If trees and buildings are going to effect so many people (which  I am sure it doesn't, it's probably a SMALL minority) then HT should just get rid of them. Or regress to older, less detailed ones so those with lesser PCs can play. Then we can all fly stick planes with FR of 200 :rolleyes:

I agree.  IMO this game is hobbled enough by the 'least common denominator' (i.e. crap PCs), it really needs to move forward graphically.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
How? If your hiding behind a hill or trees I still couldn't see you with detail turned up..

I said detail not distance.

If the vehicle is tied to object detail it won't render the vehicle until it's as close as the nearest object you can see, therfore, at x distance in clear terrain, someone with object detail turned down won't be able to see a vehicle rendered while someone with object detail turned up will.

I understand what you're getting at though.  It's basically what I outlined in my last post.

As to the game being hindered by older machines it doesn't have to be and the older machines can still be allowed to run it although additional graphic and sound settings would be needed.  Racing games have done this for years, offering a number of settings which can be adjusted and special effects that can be turned off and on by the user to maximize the game to their preferences (performance and/or eye/ear candy).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Ground Detail
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
Originally posted by SFCHONDO
Once or twice? You did 135 sorties in a GV last tour alone. Dunno why you're arguing with this guy. All he is asking for is a even playing field as far as GVs go. He is against being able to turn the details down to no trees and buildings.
He doesn't want to do it because everyone else is. He just wants it so everyone can enjoy the GVs as there entended to be enjoyed. Part of GVing is sneaking around to set up a shot on someone. I can't figure out why this is so hard for you to comprehend. I understand those that want better frame rates. But to make a setting that people can use to game the game and ruin the fun of the game to me is something I would think HT would want fixed. I have no perfect answer to make everyone happy. But the bottom line is rendering the graphics where there not seen to me is lame.
The argument is about the proposed solution.  The solution advocated by Crockett and you (i.e. force full detail settings)would mean some people would be left unable to play.  

Hub and others are saying that a so-called solution that causes people to be unable to play is unacceptable, and a different solution should be found.

Bronk's is IMO a better solution.  The unfair advantage for those "gaming the system" is removed, but it forces no one out of the game.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
The argument is about the proposed solution.  The solution advocated by Crockett and you (i.e. force full detail settings)would mean some people would be left unable to play.  

Hub and others are saying that a so-called solution that causes people to be unable to play is unacceptable, and a different solution should be found.

Bronk's is IMO a better solution.  The unfair advantage for those "gaming the system" is removed, but it forces no one out of the game.

Yea but the problem is, someone else had already suggested that solution but  then I think it was Roc said it would hurt the guys in the air as well. Meaning they couldn't see other cons from a long distance off.

Maybe we should just focus on the problem rather than trying to think up of a solution. My post was manily meant to show the problem existed and that it allows other players to game the game in a way I'm sure HTC guys didn't intend.

I offered up my own personal solution as part of the post, but that was just my opinion on a possible solution. I'm not a game developer but I know my way around 3D apps and have some experience in building maps for other games and so on. I understand the issues with rendering too many objects in one area and use of portals and so on.

Yet I'm not a coder nor do I know exactly how the game engine works 4 AH. So a solution would better be left for the HTC guys to figure out and we can just point out that a problem exists that allows unscrupulous players to game the game.
"strafing"

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
dang
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2007, 10:01:41 PM »
People are turnning their graphic settins down to game the game. this is not about players that cant turn them up. Hello... The ony players that can turn their settings down are the ones that already have them turned up.

You all are debating about the wrong issue....

People are game ing the game. we have the same issue with the sounds. How do u think players can run their gv in hi gear in the woods and come up ur 6 every time blast u and keep on moving. and u never hear them coming.

IF there is something in the game designed to hide behind then u SHOULD be albe to hide behind it hello.........
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.