Author Topic: Ground Detail  (Read 2027 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 01:02:10 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
I mean lets get real, how many people are actually playing this game with a 900mhz p3 with 256mb's of ram?

Dell Dimension T-600
600 meg PIII
528 megs PC100/PC133 SDRAM
64 meg NVidea G-Force MX-440
Soundblaster Live Value sound card
Windows 98

Frame rates normally in the 25-35 range although dropping to high teens on rare occasions.

I can't turn object detail up without frames dropping into low teens to single didgets.  Tried playing in the fog the other night at a frame rate of 3.  I never see it that bad.  Guess I need to stay away from the foggy areas.

For the record, I'd have no problem with hiding a tank that was supposed to be hidden and unable to be seen  but forcing me to high detail settings (forcing me out of the game) isn't the way to go.  I know I'm not the only one.  Also, I don't choose to do this to "game the game".  I do it so that I can play the game at all.

BTW, I would love to buy a new machine but have more pressing issues to be dealt with first.  Send money and I'll upgrade tomorrow.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
Search back to when the terrain was initially changed, then come back and tell me that everyone can run AH at maximum Object Detail, and maximum Ground Detail Range. Tell us again how your old PC ran at significantly less than 20-30 fps at times, yet also ran perfectly at max detail and range. There is no separation between graphics in a tank, and graphics in the air. Graphics are graphics. People can and do have problems. If you want to see proof of this, look at periods when the game is updated, not months afterwards.

I'm not trying to be mean-spirited here, but I honestly don't think you know what you're asking for.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 01:19:49 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
There is no separation between graphics in a tank, and graphics in the air. Graphics are graphics.

This isn't entirely true.  Frame rates are better with alt as there are fewer objects to render.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »
May as well go back to AW graphics then so the few with crappy PCs can have higher Frame Rates. Sorry but the game should not allow people to not have to render the graphics. Everyone should have to see the same thing. If trees and buildings are going to effect so many people (which  I am sure it doesn't, it's probably a SMALL minority) then HT should just get rid of them. Or regress to older, less detailed ones so those with lesser PCs can play. Then we can all fly stick planes with FR of 200 :rolleyes:
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »
Whether 10K above, or 10K away, they don't render. That's it.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Dell Dimension T-600
600 meg PIII
528 megs PC100/PC133 SDRAM
64 meg NVidea G-Force MX-440
Soundblaster Live Value sound card
Windows 98

Frame rates normally in the 25-35 range although dropping to high teens on rare occasions.

I can't turn object detail up without frames dropping into low teens to single didgets.  Tried playing in the fog the other night at a frame rate of 3.  I never see it that bad.  Guess I need to stay away from the foggy areas.

For the record, I'd have no problem with hiding a tank that was supposed to be hidden and unable to be seen  but forcing me to high detail settings (forcing me out of the game) isn't the way to go.  I know I'm not the only one.  Also, I don't choose to do this to "game the game".  I do it so that I can play the game at all.

BTW, I would love to buy a new machine but have more pressing issues to be dealt with first.  Send money and I'll upgrade tomorrow.

Yes but granted you aren't even running the game on the suggested hardware, so one would expect you might have problems. :D

Hell man if you are running a system like that I'm sure there are enough of us around that have PC parts laying around collecting dust. That would make a better system than what you are running. I know I have some stuff laying around from previous builds.

It's not like you are some two weeker or something, I'm sure there are a few of us that can help you get a better system going. No reason to run AH on a dinosaur like that. :eek:
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Search back to when the terrain was initially changed, then come back and tell me that everyone can run AH at maximum Object Detail, and maximum Ground Detail Range. Tell us again how your old PC ran at significantly less than 20-30 fps at times, yet also ran perfectly at max detail and range. There is no separation between graphics in a tank, and graphics in the air. Graphics are graphics. People can and do have problems. If you want to see proof of this, look at periods when the game is updated, not months afterwards.

I'm not trying to be mean-spirited here, but I honestly don't think you know what you're asking for.

There doesn't have to be a separation between graphics in the air vs graphics on the ground.

When you up a GV, you automatically go into "control mode 2". I'm sure there is a way to force ground vis mode while in control mode 2. If no other way than simply locking the detail slider in place while in C2 mode.

You can believe what you want Hub. I always ran at full detail on the slider, the only thing I ever changed was during flight I'd go into flight mode. Only time I ever had real issues was in big furballs so I for the most part always avoided those.

For me I want my graphics to look as good as possible, so I always ran full detail in GV's.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 01:41:51 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
"Auto" selection of control modes is also an option.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »
hub I'm starting to think you just like to argue for the sake of argument. Do you even GV very much? As in going out and doing tank battles? Not just upping a osti to shoot at airplanes.
"strafing"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
I don't auto select control modes.  Everything is I do is in control mode 1 (MS Sidewinder Precision Pro).

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 01:53:04 PM »
Gv'ing is for noobs and squeakers.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Ground Detail
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 01:54:45 PM »
Originally posted by Stang

Really?

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »
Originally posted by Stang

seconded

6/10 since the thread helped people figure out how they are being out gamed.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Tattered

• Copper Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 02:06:35 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
could someone provide factual information and screenshots showing the differences?

for instance detail slider all the way left for max detail ( including zoomed in and non zoomed views ) vs slider all the way right including zoomed/non zoomed views

as well as break it down and show the different types of views

SHIFT - F1
SHIFT - F2
SHIFT - F3
SHIFT - F4

with the before mentioned slider settings and zoom settings for each view type......

until someone shows that there is an advantage by doing as you have suggested, then all you will receive is remarks that you are quote: "whining"

edit: maybe if there is a problem  or a work around to SEE people/GV's  maybe some COAD that locks you in to SHIFT-F4 view mode when you are launching a GV, just like you can use F3 in bombers but not in Fighter or Attack mode......

Lol There's a definite advantage. To be perfectly honest, I do it myself. But you have to, its the only way, at this time, to keep up with everyone else who does it.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
hub I'm starting to think you just like to argue for the sake of argument. Do you even GV very much? As in going out and doing tank battles? Not just upping a osti to shoot at airplanes.

It's not that I like to argue, it's just that you're either intentionally dishonest, or simply don't know what you're talking about. Either of those is sufficient grounds to fight any of your ideas to "fix" something, in my book.

Yes, in my time here, I've taken a tank out once or twice. They're neat, but all you gamey tards turning your details way down, despite the fact that you have far better computers than I do, sort of takes the fun out of it. I normally just stick to defending bases now, as that negates the advantages to some extent. I can still hide on my field.
mook
++Blue Knights++