Author Topic: WTfG New Jersey - Life - Not Death  (Read 2293 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
WTfG New Jersey - Life - Not Death
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 03:09:39 PM »
REGIONAL MURDER RATES, 2001 - 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MURDER RATES PER 100,000 PEOPLE

REGION  2006 2005  2004  2003  2002  2001  EXECUTIONS SINCE 1976
South      6.8    6.6     6.6    6.9     6.8      6.7             901
West       5.6    5.8     5.7    5.7     5.7      5.5              67  
Midwest  5.0    4.9     4.7    4.9     5.1      5.3             127  
Northeast 4.5   4.4     4.2    4.2     4.1      4.2              4

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 03:10:18 PM »
I never have figured out how to post a stupid chart.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »
Agreed.   I'm glad I live on the OTHER side of the river so my tax money doesn't go to pay the salaries of the the "leaders" of Jersey.  

Besides, it smells worse on their side than ours, and I'm allowed to pump my own gas here.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 03:14:19 PM »
Personally I'm not against the Death Penalty, but IMO it don't think having a Death Penalty stops a crime. If someone is so screwed up in the head, that they would do that. Well I hardly think he was very worried about if he would get fried or not when caught.

Texas at one point had the most inmates on Death Row than any other state. Hell George Bush set the record for most executions as a governor. One thing is still certian, violent crimes were and still are committed in Texas.

With that said, I'm for the death penalty for violent crimes which result in another death, assuming the accused gets a proper trial and has access to DNA testing if it will help clear him. If the state wont pay for DNA testing if needed then IMO life should be the rule.
"strafing"

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
REGIONAL MURDER RATES, 2001 - 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MURDER RATES PER 100,000 PEOPLE

REGION  2006 2005  2004  2003  2002  2001  EXECUTIONS SINCE 1976
South      6.8    6.6     6.6    6.9     6.8      6.7             901
West       5.6    5.8     5.7    5.7     5.7      5.5              67  
Midwest  5.0    4.9     4.7    4.9     5.1      5.3             127  
Northeast 4.5   4.4     4.2    4.2     4.1      4.2              4

A year or two back I calculated that the rate at which murderers receive the death penalty is something like 0.01%.  If you had a 1/10,000 chance (near lottery odds) of receiving the death penalty after murdering someone (much less considering the amount of murderers who DON'T get caught), would it deter you from doing what you want to do?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »
It would seem by the numbers that some chance of a death penalty is less of a deterrent than no chance of the death penalty.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
The ONLY purpose of justice is retribution.

If it means killing innocent people, then it isn't about retribution, but the illusion of retribution.  

And amazingly the only people that need such an illusion to feel safe, or that society is "working", are ignorant retards.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 03:40:50 PM »
Deterrent or not, to me the punishment should fit the crime.
The punishment of death, more than fits this particular crime.
I would feel absolutely no remorse as the exocutioner of this individual.
Does that make me barbaric?  To some yes, to some no.  

What irks me almost as much as his punishment being lessoned, is the fact that this crime took place 10 years ago.
I'm not a lawyer, so i'd like to know how many appeals is a death row inmate actually allowed?
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The escape potentiol, death prevents escape
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »
Twenty years ago we had a convicted rapist escape from state prison.  He immediately went to the home of his victim (who had testified against him)and brutally raped and murdered the rape victim.  He also brutally raped and murdered a neighbor lady unfortunate enough to be visiting at the time of the attack.   He then went on and  brutally raped and murdered the young daughter of the rape victim.  All three savagely raped, beaten and stabbed to death.  This SOB was hanged and has since not commited any more crimes.   Permanent solution.

It is said if you execute 100 condemned men, one of them is probably innocent and this justifies not executing any of the 100 men.  But if one uses that logic then the state should not sentence 100 guilty men to prison for life because one of them is probably innocent.

The state should not sentence any person for any wrong doing because somewhere along the line an innocent person will be charged.  Its ignorant logic.  Liberal logic at its worst.

If you have a guilty person who commited a most atrocious murderous act, and you know it without doubt, Take that individual to the gallows and execute them.  Permanetly remove them from ever being able to harm anyone ever again.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »
ted bundy will never rape and kill another women, he made the mistake of raping and killing in Florida, he got a choice of lethal injection or "old sparky".

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 04:09:52 PM »
Ted Bundy made a conscious choice to KILL in Florida because they had the death penalty. He wanted to die. The families of Ted's final victims can thank the death penalty in their state for the loss of their loved ones.... how's that for twisted logic?

Almost as silly as saying we shouldn't send people to jail for life cause they might be innocent. Difference being of course that they can be freed if found innocent, they can't be brought back to life if executed.

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »
The article quoted an official who stated the idea was to avoid executing the innocent. A mention was made assuming 1% may be mistakenly convicted. Granted the goof that's gotten a "reprieve" is involved in a case that received enough attention that we all feel safe in ratifying his conviction but I gotta tell you, I think the numbers are way higher.

I completely agree with the concept of capitol punishment but I have no faith in the justice system's ability or desire to adequately prosecute the guilty. There's so much corruption in the criminal justice community that you can't even trust their time cards much less their investigative practices.

Far too many people are exonerated for us to have faith in the infallibility of the courts. Unfortunately we never seem to see the officials responsible for the travesties own up to their "mistakes". It's always the news organizations or some kind of "Freedom Project".

Unfortunately it's the liberals that seem to be doing the heavy lifting when it comes to keeping the judiciary "honest". That kinda sucks.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 04:17:46 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Ted Bundy made a conscious choice to KILL in Florida because they had the death penalty.

whoa, stop the spinning, I'm getting dizzy.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 04:21:37 PM »
using that flawed logic might as well send everyone down to gitmo.  we can always find them innocent later :rolleyes:

You defend the lives of child murderers.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »
Originally posted by Thruster
The article quoted an official who stated the idea was to avoid executing the innocent. A mention was made assuming 1% may be mistakenly convicted. Granted the goof that's gotten a "reprieve" is involved in a case that received enough attention that we all feel safe in ratifying his conviction but I gotta tell you, I think the numbers are way higher.

I completely agree with the concept of capitol punishment but I have no faith in the justice system's ability or desire to adequately prosecute the guilty. There's so much corruption in the criminal justice community that you can't even trust their time cards much less their investigative practices.

Far too many people are exonerated for us to have faith in the infallibility of the courts. Unfortunately we never seem to see the officials responsible for the travesties own up to their "mistakes". It's always the news organizations or some kind of "Freedom Project".

Unfortunately it's the liberals that seem to be doing the heavy lifting when it comes to keeping the judiciary "honest". That kinda sucks.

FWIW, supposedly more than 23 innocents were mistakenly executed this century.  The fact is, there is absolutely no evidence that the death penalty in this country has ever executed even ONE innocent in the past century. If you can provide hard core evidence that an innocent man or woman was executed mistakenly, then there are several lawyers awaiting this evidence so that they may sue the state on behalf of the victims families.