Author Topic: Flaps?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 05:55:02 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
Where do these fellas come up with this nonsense?  Why give advice when you do not have a clue?:rolleyes:

I've been flying Spits for almost 11 years from AW to AHII.  I almost never have to use flaps (1-2% of the time), even at flap speeds (~160 mph or lower).  The drag ceated by the single stage flaps just isn't worth it most of the time.

I can out-turn most planes without them and for those I can't I can use the climbing ability, acceleration or another of the Spits qualities to beat them.

Throttle management is much more useful in a Spit than flaps IMO.

There are rare occasions where you need them but if you know how to push deep into the stall horn in a Spit it's not very often.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 06:10:57 PM »
if its got flaps use em. being a noob you will learn when and when not to use them. its one of those things that cant be taught or told how. Learn by doing.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Flaps?
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »
Originally posted by SgtPappy

Skyrock,
And the P-51 is great at turning, yes at high sped. Arguably, nothing turns better above 300 mph.  

The hog out turns it at 300mph+, no arguments about it!

Originally posted by SgtPappy
the P-51's not going to do much at all in the turn fight.
Wrong!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Flaps?
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I've been flying Spits for almost 11 years from AW to AHII.  I almost never have to use flaps (1-2% of the time), even at flap speeds (~160 mph or lower).  

These are two comments that let me know you don't know beans about how to fly one in a fight.....that is unless you're BnZing in it! LMAO!:rofl
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:32:23 PM by SkyRock »

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Flaps?
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:45 PM »
Originally posted by Urthona
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You almost never need flaps in a Spit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI:  From Soda's Aircraft Evaluations writeup on the Spit XVI

"Donft use flaps, they are really only for landing and the drag they produce is a real disadvantage. "

Soda would get spanked to high heaven and back by any one of my spit flying friends!  His advice should be taken with a grain of salt on this issue.  The 16 should be fought with it's advantages, one of the greatest advantage it has is that last second burst of vertical from the "one notch" flaps and wep!

If you want to own in spits, it's wep and flaps all the way!:aok

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »
I've been flying Spits for almost 11 years from AW to AHII.  I almost never have to use flaps (1-2% of the time), even at flap speeds (~160 mph or lower).  The drag ceated by the single stage flaps just isn't worth it most of the time.

I can out-turn most planes without them and for those I can't I can use the climbing ability, acceleration or another of the Spits qualities to beat them.

There are rare occasions where you need them but if you know how to push deep into the stall horn in a Spit it's not very often.

Well ... don't get me wrong here, but the night that you, in a Spit V, and me in a F6F ... if you had used flaps ... the outcome might have been different.

I still would recommend using flaps in any Spit, under the right circumstances, against particular airplanes.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Well ... don't get me wrong here, but the night that you, in a Spit V, and me in a F6F ... if you had used flaps... the outcome might have been different.

That night I was still out-turning you.  In fact, you extended out of guns range twice to re-set the fight and the Spit V just couldn't stay with you when you did.

Maybe I might have gotten inside you sooner but I would have been in worse shape trying to stay with your extension, which I can only assume would have been sooner.

The reason I lost is because I augered in a deep stall near the end.

That was a fun fight but I doubt the outcome would have been significantly different had I used my flaps.

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »

If you want to own in spits, it's wep and flaps all the way!:aok

I totally agree.

When flying the spit16 I always use the flaps, especially when the enemy is close and I cannot out run them or outclimb them in a straight line. The manuever I use flaps with the most is a steep spiral climb...works quite well. Usually the enemy is around 200 behind me, but the angle and steepness of the turn prevents a shot. Adding flaps while performing this enhances the results. Once separation occurs I flip over and dive on the enemy. .:aok
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:22:36 PM by TwentyFo »
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Flaps?
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

I still would recommend using flaps in any Spit, under the right circumstances, against particular airplanes.

The other night another player and I were dueling in Spitfire Mk IXs and got into a rolling scissor on the deck.  The other guy was trying in vain to get me to over shoot on the scissors but couldn't do it.  I just kept tucked nicely on his 6 position until I deemed the lesson over and finally put a burst on his tail.  He asked me how I kept from overshooting and I told him that when I would roll over the top during the rolling scissors, I would deploy the flaps and then raise them on the downside of the roll.  By doing this, I was able to stay on the 6 position and not over shoot.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
The other night another player and I were dueling in Spitfire Mk IXs and got into a rolling scissor on the deck.  The other guy was trying in vain to get me to over shoot on the scissors but couldn't do it.  I just kept tucked nicely on his 6 position until I deemed the lesson over and finally put a burst on his tail.  He asked me how I kept from overshooting and I told him that when I would roll over the top during the rolling scissors, I would deploy the flaps and then raise them on the downside of the roll.  By doing this, I was able to stay on the 6 position and not over shoot.

ack-ack

Would you do that in a 38 given the same situation?

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Flaps?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 08:21:07 PM »
Yes.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 08:21:41 PM »
Thank you.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
Flaps?
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 08:26:52 PM »
Where do these fellas come up with this nonsense?  Why give advice when you do not have a clue?:rolleyes:

these are the same fellas that have no clue whats going on in a fight...theyre the ones that hit trees ram and ho their way out
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Flaps?
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 07:40:30 AM »
what are flaps?

(from 190 pilot)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 11:55:17 AM »
Originally posted by BiPoLaR
these are the same fellas that have no clue whats going on in a fight...theyre the ones that hit trees ram and ho their way out

OK.  That's laughable.

I didn't say don't ever use flaps but really, why use them unless you need them?  If you can stay inside someone without using flaps why dump them and give up more E?

BTW, was it ack-ack following the scissors?  You could have done the same thing by just throttling back slightly or by increasing the arc of your roll.