Author Topic: Flaps?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Flaps?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl

BTW, was it ack-ack following the scissors?  You could have done the same thing by just throttling back slightly or by increasing the arc of your roll.

I could have done it that way but it would have resulted in the fight lasting longer than it would have which then increases the chances of my losing. Had I done what you suggested, it would have resulted in a "neutral state" (i.e. we would have been canopy to canopy in our rolls, neither one of us gaining the advantage or disadvantage) and mostly likely one of us would have wobbled in due to our low (near stall) speed.

If we were fighting and in the same situation and you tried what you described in a rolling scissors and I used my flaps like I described, you would have lost as well.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:38:15 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Flaps?
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Bahahhahaha, you beat me to it.  Spit with no flaps will get spanked by almost everything (given the pilot is not one of the experts above :lol )

Go to the TA and ask one of the trainers.  At list they know what they are talking about and they can show you how to do it

Interesting in that it's full flaps or no flaps in a Spit.  Historically I don't recall ever seeing a Spit pilot for real ever talk about using flaps in combat.

But they sure do get used in our cartoon Spits :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
I could have done it that way but it would have resulted in the fight lasting longer than it would have which then increases the chances of my losing. Had I done what you suggested, it would have resulted in a "neutral state" (i.e. we would have been canopy to canopy in our rolls, neither one of us gaining the advantage or disadvantage) and mostly likely one of us would have wobbled in due to our low (near stall) speed.

If we were fighting and in the same situation and you tried what you described in a rolling scissors and I used my flaps like I described, you would have lost as well.

ack-ack

OK.  I see.  I always envision a rolling scissor happening at somewhat higher speeds, not when you're already wobbling near stall.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »
Flaps are extremely important in all planes...especially in a spit...

They are of utmost importance in e-fighting...roping...and scissoring as well as winging over on someone...

They also are a great help in taking off when you dont have enough runway to build up the right speed/weight ratio (i.e. carrier takeoffs with ordinance)

The spit is actually a great plane to learn proper flap use because there is only one notch..if you are truly new then there isnt a much better plane to learn in then a spitV...unfortunately its slow as can be so look for furball sitautions
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB