Author Topic: Flaps?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline stifor187

• Zinc Member
Flaps?
« on: January 13, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »
First im a major noob so far and am only in my first week.Is flap use really important in a dog fight?

Mainly asking bout the 2 planes i fly most the spit16 and pony.

any advice welcome:aok

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Flaps?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »
yes.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »
Spit 16... not really.
P51... vital.

Banshee7

Flaps?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »
Flaps are very important when turn fighting.  The Spit you really don't need them unless you are up against another spit.  The pony in the other hand needs flaps for good turning.  The Pony's flaps are outstanding because you can fly with 1 notch of flaps out up to 400mph.

#S#

Banshee7

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
Flaps?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:09:15 PM »
Once you've got the basics of flight down, I would strongly recommend flying a bird which relies on flaps more heavily... for example the F4U or p-38 but be prepared to die... A LOT.

**Edit** Perhaps relies heavily is the wrong phrase to use but you know what I mean.

I been playing this game over 18 months now (I think) and I still don't totally "get" flaps. It will take some time :)

Good Luck with it

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »
Equally important, though in some planes more than others, is throttle management and rudder usage.  Don't forget about those.:aok

Perhaps try the F6F.  Really taught me a lot about flaps, throttle, and rudder (not saying I'm an expert by any means though).  That plane will surprise you.

donkey

EDIT:  I started out with the pony when I first joined, and trust me, it's not the best suited plane for mixing it up.  It's only real advantages are speed and views, but I think that really helped me a lot, and can help you to if you stick with it.  You MUST use flaps, rudder, and throttle in the pony when in a 1v1 dogfight (if you're not just bnzing).   If you can knife fight in a pony just about everything else will be a walk in the park.  Makes the transition to other planes so much easier as they seem like their in a different class compared to the pony in close up dogfights, because for the most part, they are.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:21:24 PM by DoNKeY »
2sBlind

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Flaps?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »
The issue with rudder is that most of the plane set has poor rudder authority except at very low airspeeds. Using rudder can also work against you in the lufberry. There's some maneuvers (slips, skids, etc) that can be useful, but most aircraft you have to be fairly slow for it to really make an impact.

The F4Us is the most noteworthy exception to this rule, so effective rudder use is more important to the Hog than most other ships in the plane set.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline stifor187

• Zinc Member
Flaps?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 06:42:07 PM »
yeah taking off interduced me to my rudder very quick!just about got the basics of it now.

gonna have to set my flap keys and start working them next time up.

I have stalled a few times in high alt fights with things degradeing into a low speed turning fight.Its one of the reasons i like the pony it seems to almost automaticly pull it self out of a spin.

but looking back me falling like a rock is om own fault for loseing all my E in a turn fight without useing flaps.:aok

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »
You don't really want to turn fight at all in a P-51 unless your up against another P-51 or some manner of Fw190.
The world is a 3D place; keep maneuvering by using all dimensions. Where the P-51 shines is its E retention in zooms and turning won't make any use of it.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline wreckedem

• Zinc Member
Flaps?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:54:06 PM »
I have had a blast a few times trying to learn to turn fight in a pony.  I know it is difficult, and that I am at a disadvantage, but I found that I could do some pretty cool things by using throwing down the flaps a notch of five, and manipulating the throttle and rudder in addition to more conventional turns.

I have died many times doing this, but I think it has made me a little better at fighting in situations outside the strength of the P-51.

I would strongly suggest learning to use the flaps and throttle to learn to turn anything better.  Not only is this a 3d environment, but using speed - learning to keep it and to bleed it - gives you another weapon to survive and even turn a disadvantage into an advantage.

I am definitely new here, but it has been a blast learning by reading here and watching those in the MA - especially all of you rotten b@$t@rd$ who keep killing me!

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Flaps?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:56:43 AM »
The most type's of planes you will need flaps for are the American planes. The P51 and the P47 can have one notch of flaps till 40mph. The other American planes such as the F4u's,F6F(Fm2/f4f),P38's their flaps deploy at a lower speed and for the most part allow the plane to turn better.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Flaps?
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 07:42:41 AM »
Originally posted by SgtPappy
You don't really want to turn fight at all in a P-51 unless your up against another P-51 or some manner of Fw190.
:huh

Pony is a great turnfighter!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 09:29:33 AM »
*double
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:39:24 AM by Bucky73 »

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
Flaps?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
:huh

Pony is a great turnfighter!

YOU SIR are correct!:aok

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Flaps?
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
I fly a 38 and I flap like crazy.... boy are my arms tired.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)