Author Topic: Head Position for views  (Read 618 times)

Offline shafte

• Zinc Member
Head Position for views
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »
Hi all,

I'm trying to change my head position in views but the game is only letting me change by a tiny amount. - The screen does a little 2mm shift in the desired direction but nothing more.

I have re-read the manual (!) - and it says that i need to be in the view (eg back / up) then manipulate head position with arrows until locking it with F10.

I'm sure that's what I used to do when I played a few years ago, on the same PC too, but it isn't showing me any love now.

With no decent view out the back I keep getting losing the enemy and getting waxed...

Please help!

Shaft

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
something that may save you some time i think its at this site

download murdr's head position files its under downloads
i did this and slightly changed em its files for just about every plane

only thing i did was he has its six look all the way left and i like it right
i dont know why its like that on his maybe so he can see the overshoot better when hes turnin left lol

those should get u by till u figure your problem out

could just be a bad keyboard

oh and press and hold the arrow keys still no joy>>?
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Granola01

• Zinc Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
I also ran into this problem about a week ago. After playing offline for a few months, I was no longer able to adjust any head position. I uninstalled and reinstalled and that fixed it.

Offline rodak

• Zinc Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:19:38 PM »
I believe that removing the view or video8 file in the settings folder fixes that problem but it's been a long time since I've had to do that so if you try it, just move the files but don't delete them.  I might be thinking about the fix for the minimized clipboard problem that used to happen though.........

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Head Position for views
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »
If you have a controller axis set to [Views: Move (left/right, up/down, ect.)] it will override the keyboard controls if the axis is not centered.  I have my Pro Throttle mini-stick set as such, and had to add some deadband to those axis, because if the game reads input from those axis, it will ignore your saved head positions, and arrow inputs, and use the axis inputs instead.

Another thing to check on is that your settings folder is NOT marked "read only" since that will prevent you from changing your head positions and other settings.

Originally posted by goober69
only thing i did was he has its six look all the way left and i like it right
i dont know why its like that on his maybe so he can see the overshoot better when hes turnin left lol
Actually most are set as if I were looking over my right shoulder.  It's set that way because that's where I'd be if I were following me in pursuit turns "In trail, and slightly to the weak side".

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:52:13 PM »
hmmm i never thought of it like that.
pretty dang smart.

i tried it like that and man it feels wierd.

:D
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline shafte

• Zinc Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:04:20 AM »
Thanks guys - I will try all those things next time I get a chance to login.

On the question of pursuit turns, what does the 'weak side' refer to - never heard that phrase before?

Cheers!

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:22:02 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
If you have a controller axis set to [Views: Move (left/right, up/down, ect.)] it will override the keyboard controls if the axis is not centered.  I have my Pro Throttle mini-stick set as such, and had to add some deadband to those axis, because if the game reads input from those axis, it will ignore your saved head positions, and arrow inputs, and use the axis inputs instead.

I have never been able to set (or program) the mini-stick on my CH Pro Throttle.  How is that done?    Might be a good topic  for the Trainer's Page.  Thanks.  Wizer.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 07:08:42 AM »
Originally posted by shafte
On the question of pursuit turns, what does the 'weak side' refer to - never heard that phrase before?
engine torque means that fighters turn better one way than the other - left hand turns for most planes, right hand for eg Typhie, Spit XIV. :)

I have rear view set to the best turning side so I can track lead pursuits, plus its a good reminder if you switch planes alot.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »
im guessing murdr turns right a lot in the p38 cause it dotn have a weakness either way.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Head Position for views
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »
I said "in fighters" not "in bombers" :p
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Head Position for views
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
This thread...
http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194874&highlight=film
has a good film example.  The first and last fights have near stall speed fights with vertical maneuvers.  That is the situation where weak/strong side really comes into play.  As you near stall speed, lift force diminishes, and the torque force starts to become more pronounced.

If I were the lead plane going up into the vertical near stall speed, I would be looking for a flight path overshoot.  In other words, I am looking for their asent path to outside of my turn like this...

At that point, I'll be looking to roll and reverse my lift vector towards them, and attempt to gain a snap shot.  At such slow speeds, many planes are sluggish, or simply refuse to roll against the torque.

Knowing that, when I am in the trail position in this scenario, I will follow the opponent with my lift vector pointing off to their weak side.  If they cannot roll to the weak side, I am in a great position to follow their next turns flight path.  If my flight path does overshoot theirs on the way up, I am in a position where it will be unlikely they can get guns (and in fact, if they force the issue to try to get a shot that isn't there, they WILL overshoot my flight path worse that I had theirs).

It is probably easier to watch the first and last fights, and see where I often have the opponent to the strong side of my centerline.  Hence, if you think about it, my head positions do look toward where I would be if I was the opponent.

Wizer, on my system, the mini-stick detects as Pro Throttle X and Y axis on my system.  I had tried mapping it as Analog inputs, pan view (left/right, up/down).  I found it more useful as Analog inputs, Views, move (left/right, up/down) in place of using the side arrow keys, and page up/down.  That is just using AH's control mapper.  I understand that scripts can be written for the CH Manager software to make it do many other things, but I've never really explored that option.