Author Topic: Corsair stalls  (Read 2452 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Corsair stalls
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure that guy's Widewing! :lol
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »
Originally posted by Noir
I'll have to agree with this, the french flew the F4U4 until 1960 or so :aok , but again my whine was not about the F4U4 performance, but the way that guy wrote about it.

Widewing and lets pray for new mosquito variants

:rofl :rofl :rofl
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Widewing if I may go off topic for one post, how would the F7F and F8F have compared to the F4U4?  IIRC one or both of them were otw to the front lines when the war ended.

Well, the F7F was a better attack platform. In terms of performance, it was probably superior as a fighter too. However, it was designed for the next generation of carrier (Midway and Coral Sea), which were not ready before the war ended. It was thought to be a bit "too hot" for carrier duty on the Essex class. However, it did qualify aboard the Antietam and Shangri-la in April of 1945. Only one squadron deployed to the combat zone, VMF(N)-533 arrived on Okinawa a few days before Japan surrendered. Only one local sortie was flown and that was on the day Japan announced that they had quit. These were two-seat night fighters (F7F-2N), probably the best of their ilk to see service up till that time.

F8Fs were in route to Japan aboard a carrier (USS Boxer, IIRC) when the surrender occurred. They were about 5 days from combat. In terms of air to air capability, the F8F was without peer in the US Navy. However, it was not as good an attack platform as the F4U-4. I'd rate the F4U-4 as the better fighter-bomber of the two, with the Bearcat being the better pure fighter. With greater emphasis being placed on multi-role capability and new jet designs under development, the Bearcat would have a relatively short career in the fleet.

F7Fs served very effectively in Korea in the night fighter role. The F8F did not see combat in that war, having been replaced by the Grumman F9F-2 Panther by 1950.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:03:02 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »
I'll have to agree with this, the french flew the F4U4 until 1960 or so :aok , but again my whine was not about the F4U4 performance, but the way that guy wrote about it.

:rofl :rofl  :confused:  :rofl

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Corsair stalls
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 03:23:53 PM »
Thanks Widewing.  :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »

F4U7 and we used it because our navy add no other choice.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/F4U.html

Thanks for the film, krusty...
(The hell just frozen)

Sometimes I play with idea:
'What if HTC would create  the elite "All maxed realism ww2 online sim, with very limited ww2 scenario." within netlag limits. ( I'm not any elite)

Probably impossible in wide scale in business wise but seriously,  how about in small small scale? Very local, within friends scale? See, who knows, what kind of "rooms" there are and...

ok, thats enough for the playing with ideas ;)

----

F4U were harder to fly... back then... long time ago.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »
The F4U-7, built for the French Navy, completed the venerable Corsair line.  Essentially the same as an F4U-4 in an F4U-6 (AU-1) airframe, it was equipped with a Pratt and Whitney two-speed, two-stage engine (R-2800-18W), making it a high-altitude fighter.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
All the people that I know that fly the Corsair say keep it fast.  Don't screw around low and slow, and don't you dare stall it.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
I agree that the F4U-4 was the best fighter-bomber of the war.

Its only "small" problem was that Vought designed the best fighter that they could and forgot it has to operate from carriers and that they need to equip the whole USN with it. So it was the best land based fighter bomber that has the option of taking off from carriers.

As the main USN fighter-bomber, I think the decision to go with the Hellcat was the right one.

This is borne out by the fact that of all of the fighters listed above, only the F4U-4 and P-51D were still performing their multi-role missions 5 years later in Korea.

I think a lot of politics went into this as well.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs