Author Topic: When is a HO not a HO?  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
When is a HO not a HO?
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:48:32 AM »
When it's this...

Merge - This is the shot at the merge.  Don't know what kind of merge he was trying but as you can see in the screenshot and in the film, he presented a sweet profile shot.
Screenshot 1

This is the screenshot a few seconds later of the second burst I hit him with.
Screenshot 2

This is the final burst.  The smoke and fire trail is mine, got hit by one of the cherry pickers on my six.  For some reason, the fire graphics was displayed incorrectly when I took the screenshot.
Screenshot 3

Here is the short film.  I do hope the La-7 driver posts his film of this fight, would be interesting to see what his front end showed.
When is a HO not a HO?

While you watch the film, pay attention to what the La-7 does to the first plane he merges with. 

ack-ack

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:04:53 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Re: When is a HO not a HO?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:07:28 AM »
I'd have to side with Ack-Ack on that one, it was more a deflection shot then a HO.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:49:57 AM »
Yeah not even close to a HO. 
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline manurin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
No discussion there, it's not a HO!

A HO occurs when both planes have a gun solution on the other one face  :salute

71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:55 AM »
Hell ... I don't even care if it's a ho or not. In AHII the face is a legit target. No more or less than the arse, shoulder, kneecap or tongue. Yeah, it's funny when the whine isn't accurate but .... I've yet to see a whine that was clueful , accurate or not.

Keeeeel them Ack-Ack. :D

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:36:29 AM »
its just the other player looking for excuses to why he got shot down by a bomber....cough p38 :)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 06:33:59 AM »
Does it matter if it was a HO or not?  Someone got deaded.  Let them whine, let them whine, let them whine.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 06:39:11 AM »
Generally, the rule is that if you win it, it was a forward quarter deflection shot.  If you lost, the b**tage HO'ed ya.

No amount of discussion will ever change this basic rule...

<S>

Grue
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 06:40:49 AM »
a ho ain't a ho *until* she screws the gov. of NY....oh, wait....
"You rebel scum"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »
A HO is when I get shot down trying to go head on. A high deflection shot is when I go headon and win  :rock

I think that should settle it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Box1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »
    The head on has always mystified me in this simulation.  Why do people act as though this NEVER happened in real life?  I've watched several episodes of Dogfights where the REAL pilots speak of HO engagements.  My view is this, fly straight at me and you'll get 4 20mm and 2 30mm cannon from a fw190a8.  I promise.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
I won't say any names, but I was fighting a 38 the other day in a 38.  Cold merge, he saved all his E and went for the double, I angled and reacted, we met at the top of the second.  I could see that we were going to collide nose to nose, even though he was about 80 feet above me as he came over the top before I did, as I had saved my last bit of E to pass and fall over him as he went by.  But, our paths were bringing us to a nose to nose collision.  So, I nosed down a bit so we wouldn't collide, and he shot the smack out of me from about 20 feet above me into my canopy and right wing.  Immediately, he said he had a nice canopy shot.  Now, so if someone is constantly pushing(the get around before he does and shoot front quarter first) type of fight, then they have parts of their acm that need work.  I fight great sticks everyday and many are my friends, there has never been a fight between that group, where a HO/high deflection shot, had to be taken for someone to win.  Most all end in someone getting shot from dead  six.  No matter if the pilots are of equal skill, eventually, a 6 shot will be gained(or a shot that is from behind the 3/9) if they fight long enough.  Now I understand that in the MA sometimes you need to kill the guy quick, but there is a "breed" of pilot out there that thinks (in their own mind), that getting around quick is something that they only know.  They are nervous and trigger happy and instead of getting a truly great experience out of completely owning and outflying the other guy, they would just settle on some (toenail hair front quarter high deflection) shot and argue about it not being a HO.    :rolleyes:

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:03:08 AM »
A shot is a shot, a kill is a kill, dead is dead.  Good work, Ack-Ack  :aok
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 08:06:10 AM »
Impossible title.
A HO is always a HO. If the situation is not a HO then it is not a HO.

No-one ever gets HO'ed, they HO themselves... both pilots have to HO to make it a HO.

Nothing bad in HO, one only risks it all. It is like "all in" in Texas hold'em. It is like a wild west shoot-out..... would one whine about HO there: "You dweeb, why did you shoot face to face, why didn't you sneak around and shoot me in the back?" :devil

I sometimes HO, even though my goal is to land kills. Sometimes the situation simply leads to HO.

Everyone, quit finally whining about HO:s  :rock
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:10:01 AM by BlauK »

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 08:14:13 AM »
Well.....

If you pay for it, it's a HO.... :D

:noid
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:28:06 AM by Heater »
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!