Author Topic: Slave Reparations  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Carrel

• Copper Member
Re: Slave Reparations
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
Agree 100%, Holden.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »
I only can imagine what can happen in a Russian forum thread on a similar subject.

Slave reparations in Russia got all paid.

Former slaves paid to former masters after 1861.

Difference is that here we never enslaved ethnically-different people. Anyone who wasn't Orthodox Christian was supposed to live according to their tradition, except if they didn't practice slavery. I mean Central-Asian campaigns after 1861.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
Slave reparations in Russia got all paid.

It was in the USA too.  1 in 7 American men paid for it with their lives at places like Shilo, Antetiam, Wilderness and Gettysburg.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 09:58:54 PM »
It was in the USA too.  1 in 7 American men paid for it with their lives at places like Shilo, Antetiam, Wilderness and Gettysburg.

I don't know much about American Civil war.

But do you seriously think that Civil war was about abolishing slavery?... It's like saying that bombing Yugoslavia was about human rights and invading Iraq was about WMD.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Or like saying the Russian Revolution was about implementing a worker's paradise of equality and shared success.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 10:24:53 PM »
Or like saying the Russian Revolution was about implementing a worker's paradise of equality and shared success.

It could be whatever you say in a country where less then 2% of population worked in industry and 90% were illiterate. Compare it to 1940.

Shared success - that's a great sentence! What we got now is a shared failure for 90% of the population... Just like in so-called "free world".

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 10:38:57 PM »
The word Slave comes from the Slavic people because so many of them were slaves, and they were not Black.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »
The word Slave comes from the Slavic people because so many of them were slaves, and they were not Black.

Pravoslavniy is a right slave eh?

Slava means glory.

I expect more W.A.S.P.s telling me I am a slave by nature.

Russians invented Tetris. So you can't win fighting with them. Did anyone ever win playing Tetris?...

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »
The Norsemen captured and sold so many of the Slavic People, that's how the word Slave came about.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 11:34:22 PM »
The Norsemen captured and sold so many of the Slavic People, that's how the word Slave came about.

Interesting point of view.

May I ask you a question?

Are you so accustomed to a concept of slavery? How many slaves did your great-grand fathers have? Or maybe a leader promised your grand-parents a place to live and some Slavic slaves? In PL, UA, BY, YU or RU?

Still anxious about having some slaves? C'mon. Try bombing us. You're welcome. Always welcome.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »
Slightly off topic, but:

I Remember Robin from Howard Stern (who is black) was talking about the native American Indians. I guess people tried to enslave them, but as she said "They weren't having any of that" and then she laughed.

What that means, I don't know...but it's kind of funny in a way.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 12:18:50 AM »
Interesting point of view.

May I ask you a question?

Are you so accustomed to a concept of slavery? How many slaves did your great-grand fathers have? Or maybe a leader promised your grand-parents a place to live and some Slavic slaves? In PL, UA, BY, YU or RU?

Still anxious about having some slaves? C'mon. Try bombing us. You're welcome. Always welcome.

My family were share croppers in the past, they worked side by side with the slaves.  My mother grew up on a cotton farm and was picking cotton before she was three years old.  My mother has scars on her back from when her grandmother used a bull whip on her because she accidentally turned over a sled full of cotton into the mud, that my mother just picked.  How many of these people asking for reparation even know what cotton looks like?
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
I don't know much about American Civil war.

But do you seriously think that Civil war was about abolishing slavery?...

Yup.

Regardless of several AH threads, South Carolina's concerns about Lincoln's view of slavery was the major point named in their reasons for ceceeding.http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html#South%20Carolina  The Confederacy knew it was about the north controlling what the south did, and the major all encompassing concern of the south was an overturn of an economic system based on slavery.    
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 04:03:31 AM »
Holden and I will once again agree to disagree.

The issue was, of course, States Rights and the fight was over whether or not the Federal Government had powers over the States that were not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

From that perspective, it is unfortunate that the South lost because the result is the ever growing Federal nanny state that the US has become.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 04:40:43 AM »
exactly, Lincoln molested the constitution like none other before or since.  The civil war was over a powerful central government like we have now VS what the nation was intended to be.  Freedom for slaves, the emancipation proclaimation was issued during the war, applying only to southern slaves (A country Lincoln had no power over) in hopes of generating an uprising.
Vote R.E. Lee '24