Author Topic: Slave Reparations  (Read 4279 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: Slave Reparations
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 04:56:22 AM »
Holden and I will once again agree to disagree.

The issue was, of course, States Rights and the fight was over whether or not the Federal Government had powers over the States that were not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

Which is the reason no free state, only slave states secesseeded.  It was all these other fed vs state right stuff.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 05:54:11 AM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 05:45:39 AM »
I'm not sure if it's right to ask all of those relatives of former slaves to repay the gov't for anything. Since for the most part they worked off the cost of their transportation long ago.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 06:54:37 AM »
Why should he care about reparations?

It's pretty clear that the colour of his skin carries certain prejudices on this board.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 06:57:14 AM »
Which is the reason no free state, only slave states secesseeded.  It was all these other fed vs state right stuff.

Slavery was a factor but the issue that resulted in bloodshed was the issue of States Rights. The North didn't go to war to free the slaves. If you're a student of history, and I think you are, you know that at the start slavery wasn't a factor in uniting the Northern states and putting them on a war footing. As has been pointed out, the Emancipation Proclamation came much later and only applied to States in "rebellion".

You know that States Rights issue though, the one where Lincoln and the North quoted the Constitution on the Federal Governments power to militarily force a State to remain in the Union. Oh...wait....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 07:06:07 AM »
The North didn't go to war to free the slaves.

That's right.  The north went to war in response to SC firing on union troops in Ft Sumter.  The south went to war first, and SC went to war because... let's see they wrote down there reasons and it went somthing like this, paragraph for paragraph (There are 30 paragraphs in SC’s “Declaration of Immediate Causes” of secession.):

The first 14 are South Carolina’s justifications for it’s belief in the right to secede and become a free and independent state.

15 - Accuses the Union govt of not living up to the constitution and 16 and 17 prepare the reader for the list that follows.

18 - is the first listing of any breech in constitutional law.  It says, “"No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due." First reason listed: Slavery.

18 – Slaves is our property.

19 – Slaves is our property jus’ like horses and yer granpappy agreed with our granpappy that it was so.

20 – Y’all Yankees don’t be sending back our fugitives neither; an’ that makes us madder’n a struck hornet nest.

21 – The free states are picking on us slave states

22 – What the constitution says is y’all shouldn’t oughtn’t be doin’ it

23 – The Union is stomping on us slave holders

24 – You guys is making our slaves uppity and we don’t like it

25 – 25 years now of this anti slavery thing and we are getting tired of it, and now you elect this Lincoln fella.

26 – Now some of you Yankees are even makin’ negroes citizens when they should be out pickin’ cotton..

27 – When Lincoln is sworn in he’s a gonna shoot us ifn we don give up our darkies.

28 – An when he does, we ain’t a gonna be able to keep or slaves.

29 – You Yankees don’t unnerstan’ that God said we could keep ‘em, and there’s a gonna be a knock down drag out if’n ya don’t.

30 – So we gonna leave.

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 08:10:58 AM »
I have stated before I am all for reparations.  Everyone who was a slave and is still alive should get them, but nothing for the descendants who were never slaves.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »
That's right.  The north went to war in response to SC firing on union troops in Ft Sumter.  The south went to war first, and SC went to war because... let's see they wrote down there reasons and it went somthing like this, paragraph for paragraph (There are 30 paragraphs in SC’s “Declaration of Immediate Causes” of secession.):

The first 14 are South Carolina’s justifications for it’s belief in the right to secede and become a free and independent state.

Thank you very much. The first 14 will suffice, since they accurately and completely reflect that this was a State's Rights issue.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
up until the civil war.. 

It was generally thought that all the states who had freely entered into the union were free to leave if they so desired.. it had been discussed many times.

After the civil war it became known that the federal government would use any excuse to crush by force of arms any state who tried.

that is where we stand today.  If you think the "WMD" was weak..  you would puke at the reason a federal government would use to destroy a state like say.. Wyoming or Montana that tried to leave the union.

lazs

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »
Being a South Carolinian and given our choices this election cycle - I'd love to see South Carolina lead the way again.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 11:25:57 AM »
The civil war demarked the point where the language switched from "the united states are" to "the united states is".
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »
Can't say anybody in my family ever owned slaves, therefore I owe NOBODY NOTHING! You have to have money to have things, last time I talked to my parents about money , they said nobody in our entire family tree has ever had any. So my family couldn't have bought or sold slaves. Anybody that thinks I'm paying money for what a dead guy did 200 years ago needs to go see my complaint manager Helen Waite, if you have a complaint about how your ancestors were treated go to Helen Waite.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »
Slavery was a factor but the issue that resulted in bloodshed was the issue of States Rights. The North didn't go to war to free the slaves. If you're a student of history, and I think you are, you know that at the start slavery wasn't a factor in uniting the Northern states and putting them on a war footing. As has been pointed out, the Emancipation Proclamation came much later and only applied to States in "rebellion".

You know that States Rights issue though, the one where Lincoln and the North quoted the Constitution on the Federal Governments power to militarily force a State to remain in the Union. Oh...wait....

The south believed in States Rights only because they believed it should be a State's decision to choose whether or not to allow slavery to continue.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,177760.180.html

Holden and Laser, I feel certain that none of us have changed our views since that 2006 discussion. I stand by what I said then and I feel the evidence I provided supports my position.

I'm sure you feel the same way, the only difference being that both of you are wrong.  :devil

We might as well save the electronic ink, right?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2008, 03:50:42 PM »
Who are you to call time on useless internet intardnet debate in such a high-handed manner? Re-hash the same old arguments damn you!  :salute
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »
What's next, arguing about Mac vs Windows?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis