Author Topic: Slave Reparations  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Re: Slave Reparations
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »
What's next, arguing about Mac vs Windows?

Well, if you insist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVwbhsqEyNI

>>Ducks hijack brick<<

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
What's next, arguing about Mac vs Windows?

Oh Chit... I'm caught lookin into windows again.

This is where DiabloTX accuses me of Hijackin a Thread again

For the record I didn't bring my name up or lookin into windows until this post.

:O

Mac

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »
Thank you very much. The first 14 will suffice, since they accurately and completely reflect that this was a State's Rights issue.

But..
Quote from: Holden
The first 14 are South Carolina’s justifications for it’s belief in the right to secede and become a free and independent state.

You see the first 14 paragraphs,

P1. We accuse yall of frequent violations of the contract by which we became a nation.
(no specific violation listed)

P2. So we b'lieve we now independant of y'all

P3. When we as all gettin away from King George, we all said we was free and independant states

P4. We all said then that is the gobment was bad we could get rid of it

P5. After we don declared King George wasn't King no more, each of us wrote our own contracts.  count 'em 13.

P6. So we all went to war agin them English, an' Ole King George said done proclaimed us all free and independant when he done signed the surrender.

P7. So we still b'leive we are ok in sayin we can make our own counrty and to hell witch y'all

P8. Still, after we won the war, we wrote the constitution of all of us together.

P8. An we all agreed to it.

P9.  If only 9 of us agreed to it, the other 4 could have been free to go at it alone.

P10. Now there was one thing in the contract that said the union can't do what each state is s'posed to do.

P11. Now that makes it clear that we can do what we wanna, and the Union can't do just whatever.

P12. So we accuse 14 of yall with breakin the rules.
(No specifics)
P13. Now the only reason we agreed to it at all was that y'all would let us keep our slaves.

P 14. Ya'll haven't been sendin us back our criminals neither.
-----
So it looks like the only consitutional argument South Carolina made other than slavery was that they could leave the Union.  Oh and sending back fugitives from justice.  So apparently the rebs went to war because they could.

So if you think that SC went to war on states right issues, the only one they taked about was the ability to secceed, and that the other states were treating them poorly a=on account of them being slavery states. ....
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:37 PM »
Well of course it was States Rights...

States Rights to have SLAVES!

Arguing States Rights is like arguing that the pool gets you wet, not the water in it.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »
Well of course it was States Rights...

States Rights to have SLAVES!

Arguing States Rights is like arguing that the pool gets you wet, not the water in it.

MT, I don't think states should have the rights to own slaves. I'd have expected better from you.

;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »
So it looks like the only consitutional argument South Carolina made other than slavery was that they could leave the Union. 

Thank you again.

Although I don't accept your various adaptations, let's for the moment just look at this one.

In that Constitutional argument, it happens that South Carolina was correct. Unless you are prepared to post that part of the original Constitution that specficially denies a State the right to leave the Union and the other part that specifically enumerates the power to militarily force a State remain in the Union?

Ah, I see.... the Constitution does not enumerate that power to the Federal government, does it?

So, SC had the right to leave and SC had the right to ask the military forces of a foreign power to leave sovereign SC territory which SC did. The Feds refused. SC tried to negotiate; the Feds declined. SC used force.

All this is in the other thread, in case you forgot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »
so some of you guys feel that the feds went to war with the south because.....

because they felt the south was mean to negros?   

seriously.. do you think they went to war because the south had slaves?   Yet..  you think WMD was an excuse?

Lincoln himself said that he would not free one slave if it would keep the union together.   

lazs

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
The South was starting to ship it's cotton straight to other countries, bypassing the middleman merchants up North.  The Northern merchants no longer getting proceeds from the selling of Southern cotton is the reason for the war. 
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2008, 10:52:42 AM »
The federal government conspired to sink the merrimac, thus giving us a reason to go to war.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
The federal government conspired to sink the merrimac, thus giving us a reason to go to war.

That's a good one Laser... :rofl
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
so some of you guys feel that the feds went to war with the south because.....

because they felt the south was mean to negros?   

seriously.. do you think they went to war because the south had slaves?   Yet..  you think WMD was an excuse?

Lincoln himself said that he would not free one slave if it would keep the union together.   

lazs

No Mr. Spin.

The South went to war because their right to OWN people was in danger of being abolished.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 12:24:29 PM by midnight Target »

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »
The North was using slavery as an issue to try to force the South to return to using Northern merchants to transport cotton.  The war was about greed on both sides.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
I'm not sure if it's right to ask all of those relatives of former slaves to repay the gov't for anything. Since for the most part they worked off the cost of their transportation long ago.

If by chance you are talking about the ride over in slave ships. I don't think they were enjoying a ride on a carnival cruise ship....
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »
Boy a topic like this gets the closet racists, to come out like ants being drawn out and getting stuck in mollases.

Notice most of them are conservatives.....

<----Black man
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
The North was using slavery as an issue to try to force the South to return to using Northern merchants to transport cotton.  The war was about greed on both sides.

Thats what it was.

The US government used slavery as the issue to go to war with the South and the USC government used states rights as thier issue.

Afterall, why would all those Southerners go to war just to protect slavery? How many people in the South actually owned slaves? Less than 5%?
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group