Author Topic: A challenge,- track your ancestors as far as possible  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Re: A challenge,- track your ancestors as far as possible
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »
This is about as far back as we have found

John Treadwell
  Born: ABT 1488 - Oxford, England
  Marr: ABT 1508 - Oxford, England

Thomas Treadwell
  Born: 1510 - Oxford, England
  Marr: ABT 1534 - Oxford, England
  Died: UNKNOWN -

Alexander Treadwell
  Born: 1539 - Oxford, England
  Marr: 1559 - Dorothy Treadwell
  Died: 16 JUL 1603 - Oxford, Swalcliff, England

Edward Treadwell
  Born: 20 DEC 1607 - Epwell, Oxfordshire, England.
  Marr: 1630 - Sarah Howes
  Died: 12 MAY 1690 - Huntington, Suffolk, N. Y.

just some stuff I've found and saved periodically while building my info

This was a time of great social upheaval in England, including religious persecution, and sometimes families travelled considerable distances to settle in other parts of the country in search of a better life. It was a time when some families even left the country in search of a new life overseas, notably America.

Although it cannot yet be proven, it is quite likely that our Treadwell ancestors are directly linked to the Treadwells who emigrated to America from north Oxfordshire in the early 17th century. Their modern day ancestors can claim connections with the actors Orson Welles (his great grandmother was Mary Jane Treadwell born 1827) and Spencer Tracy (he was married to Louisa Ten Broeck Treadwell born 1896). There is even a gold rush town in Alaska called Treadwell named after John Treadwell, the owner of Alaska Juneau Mining Company. John sold his interest in the Treadwell properties in 1889 for a reported \$1,500,000 and returned to California, only subsequently to be bankrupted in 1914 after a failed venture with his brother James in a trust company. More details of the Treadwell family in America can be found in Charlie Wall's website.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:33:37 PM by Airscrew »

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 09:38:59 PM »
Contact the Ghost Hunters. Maybe your house is haunted and they are trying to tell you something. At any rate you might get to be on the Sci-Fi Channel :D

Well, I'll tell you, when we built the house four years ago, they came out to dig the well, and the drillers went down about 25 feet, then the drill bit "free fell" about 25-30 feet before they hit something solid again.  They had to pull all the equipment and move to a different spot.  So we've got this cavern or sinkhole by the house.  We have no clue how big it is, but when they hit it, we jokingly said we opened up the 7th seal of hell.  Well, we've had more weird things go on in this house than I could image. 

The lights flicker, sometimes, we'll loose power in certain rooms for several seconds, and other rooms are fine.  We've had the electrician and the power company come out couple of times and they couldn't find anything.  Course then last summer we go lit up by a direct strike of lightning (hit the satallite dish directly off the bedroom, talk about needing new shorts).  The lightning traveled up LP line (one of those flexible metal lines) connected to the gas fireplace and exploded the line and started a fire between the ceiling of the basement and the first floor.  How the whole house didn't light up from that one is beyond me.  Now the pellet stove incident.  Makes me mighty nervous sometimes. :O

Quote from: aqualung  Modas and I may be related .  I just traced my maternal grandmother's side back to this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Warren.  [/quote

I'm probably heading up to my folks house this weekend for easter, I'll see if I can find the Mayflower reference in my aunt's book and see who the names were.  Seems to me that the last name was Poole or something like that.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Tryggvi 300 A.D. with Rollo's invasion of Normandy.
still haven't dug some more yet, since the last time someone posted a similar thread a while back.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 04:33:39 AM »
Tryggvi 300 A.D. with Rollo's invasion of Normandy.
still haven't dug some more yet, since the last time someone posted a similar thread a while back.

Please... the invasion of Normandy was 1944. :rolleyes:

as for me, I am not quite sure about the date, as written records are scarce, but my family roots can be traced back to a small australopithicene hominid family on the eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika.

(garden of Eden winner indeed :rolleyes:)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:39:18 AM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:08 AM »
Please... the invasion of Normandy was 1944. :rolleyes:

invasion of France that became Normandy. you happy now?

hmmm wiki says it was 886 or 887.  I am going to have to dig some more.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 05:45:45 AM »
It would definately be close to the 9th century.
One of my line goes into blur close to that period, but I have another one to back it up :D
Anyway, DieAz now holds the torch ;)

Very many nice inputs!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 06:00:44 AM »
My sister is a geneology freak.  She tracked the Brady side back to the 1780's in Charleston, SC. 
ROX

She can add this to the family photo album if so desired.

Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
Ditto.  I'll get our genealogy catalog out. It goes back to 1490 on my mothers side.

Pulled out the 1/2" thick book this morning. My family on mothers side kept maticulous record and two were librarians in the 1800's! Must not have been much to do back then except "see where I can from".

Anyway, ours goes back to the Finley (or Fynlay, it was spelled differently over the years) family. Andrew Finley and Janet Hayes, in Forfarshire, Scotland in 1457. NOt sure if these scans below will show up:

The first scan is the 2nd to last page of the tree portion of our book. The next scan shows the final Finley link in 1457 and it stops there. The last two scans were hand written notes (typed out years later) from my great great Grandmother who lived from 1803 to 1925. These are just the first two pages of what it was like to live in the Wilderness of America, which WAS OHIO during her life! Interesting story about "the axe men" and how they spit on their hands to prevent the axes from leaving their hands when they swung them back.

Our geneology has stories from 6 generations explaining what life was like during their times. Each is about 3-4 pages long.It brings you back to earth! I've actually had co-workers scan a few sheets off to bring home to their children and read it to them to let their kids how well they had it today!

last few branches that were traced

Very last branch to "Finley" in Scotland, 1474

Great Great Grandmother's writingsof how they lived, its very humbling!

Page 2 of Great Great Grandmothers writings. (There are 2 or 3 more pages, if you want to read more, let me know and I'll scan them)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:03:18 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »
Really really cool. :aok
I'll give you some slab of mine:

(From great-great grandpa and back....quite a bit)

Þorvaldur Kjartansson  1055
Ingiríður Þorvaldsdóttir  1110
Vigdís Guðlaugsdóttir  1140
Oddur Álason  1180 - 1234 
Hrafn Oddsson  1225 - 1289
Jón "korpur" Hrafnsson 1255
Jón "langur" Sveinsson  1330 - 1361
Finnbogi "gamli" Jónsson  1360 - 1441
Finnbogi "Maríulausi" Jónsson  1440 - 1514
Jón Finnbogason  1470 - 1546
Erlendur Jónsson  1520
Hjörleifur Erlendsson  1570 - 1626
Þórdís Hjörleifsdóttir 1600
Ólöf Eiríksdóttir  1630
Einar Þorvarðsson 1668
Pétur Einarsson 1715 - 1778
Jón Pétursson  1764 - 1848
Sesselja Jónsdóttir  1821
Jóhannes Jóhannesson  1850

I have most of their titles and locations where they lived.
But this is just beginning:D

Anyway, I'm all the way to William the Bastard now....

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2008, 08:47:16 AM »
I suspect you won't get any further than William the Bastard as he probably didn't know who his father was.  ;)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
She can add this to the family photo album if so desired.

(Image removed from quote.)

I've been called that ever since the show came on in the early 70's.

BTW:  Bradys (O'Braughneigh) were the ancentral kings of County Cavan for centuries. 

ROX

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
Ok this is as far back as i could get. Subspace partical rocketing through space after big bang eventually landing on suitable world and evolving into an overworked, overtaxed, underpaid, undersexed, so called dominant species. :O :lol

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
invasion of France that became Normandy. you happy now?

hmmm wiki says it was 886 or 887.  I am going to have to dig some more.

Do you mean the Norman Invasion?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »
I suspect you won't get any further than William the Bastard as he probably didn't know who his father was.  ;)

:rofl
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »
Karl Philipp von Wrede , 1767-1838, Bavarian general.
He helped reorganize the Bavarian army, commanded part of the Bavarian troops fighting with the French against Austria in 1805 in the Napoleonic Wars, and led the Bavarian corps that aided Napoleon's victory at Wagram (1809).
Just before the battle of Leipzig (1813) he negotiated the Treaty of Ried between Austria and Bavaria and fought with the allies against Napoleon.
Created (1814) prince and field marshal, Wrede represented Bavaria at the Congress of Vienna.

Bronze statue of Fürst Wrede in the Feldherrnhalle in Munich.

*note* no pidgeon poop.

Karl (or Carl) Philipp Josef Wrede, Freiherr von Wrede, 1st Fürst von Wrede (April 29, 1767 – December 12, 1838), Bavarian field-marshal, was born at Heidelberg, the youngest of three children of Ferdinand Josef Wrede (1722-1793), created in 1791 1st Freiherr von Wrede, and wife, married on March 21, 1746, Anna Katharina Jünger (1729-1804), by whom he had two more children Luise, Freiin von Wrede (September 23, 1748 - February 9, 1794), married to Philipp, Freiherr von Horn (-1834), and Georg, Freiherr von Wrede (December 8, 1765 - April 3, 1843), married on January 17, 1808 to Julie Zarka de Lukafalva (1781 - August 1, 1847).

He was educated for the career of a civil official under the Palatinate government, but on the outbreak of the campaign of 1799 he raised a volunteer corps in the Palatinate and was made its colonel. This corps excited the mirth of the well-drilled Austrians with whom it served, but its colonel soon brought it into a good condition, and it distinguished itself during Kray's retreat on Ulm. *run away, run away...* At the Battle of Hohenlinden (1800) Wrede commanded one of the Palatinate infantry brigades with credit, and after the peace of Lunéville he was made lieutenant-general in the Bavarian army, which was entering upon a period of reforms. Wrede soon made himself very popular, and distinguished himself in opposing the Austrian invasions of 1805 and 1809.

The Bavarians were for several years the active allies of Napoleon, and Wrede led the Bavarian corps that aided Napoleon’s victory at Wagram in 1809. Just before the Battle of Leipzig (1813) he negotiated the Treaty of Ried between Austria and Bavaria *can't we all just get along?* and fought with the allies against Napoleon. *never trust the French!* After Leipzig, he tried to block the French escape at Hanau but was beaten by Napoleon. *Napoleon sux, eat paint chips in exile you Bastage!*  In 1814 he was created prince and field marshal, Wrede represented Bavaria at the Congress of Vienna.

He married on March 18, 1795 Sofie, Gräfin von Wiser (May 23, 1771 - May 7, 1837), by whom he had eight children.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:33:54 PM by AWMac »