Author Topic: A challenge,- track your ancestors as far as possible  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
A challenge,- track your ancestors as far as possible
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
Ok. Here is the challenge.
Find the ancestor furthest back in your family tree. Where does it date?
Anyone in for the game can "top" the date promoted if there is a lower year.

I am hoping for this to make fun, as well as you folks to look into your geneology. There is now amazing amounts of information available on the internet about this, so if you can trace your name to some of the older geneologies, you may be up for quite some surprizes, related heroes and villains alike.....
Nothing is better than some competition here:)

I'll start by putting the date at an ancestor born before or in..1850
Mine is
"Jóhannes Jóhannesson  1850 Bóndi í Syðri-Vík"
(Johannes Johennes-son, Farmer of Souther-bay born 1850). My great great grandfather.

So, Top me :D

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Re: A challenge,- track your ancestors as far as possible
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »
I'll have to wait until I get home but I have my family tree traced all the way back to the late 1600's.  I can tell you "Wild Bill" Hickok is my great great second uncle. President Bush is also a distant cousin of mine, but I normally don't discuss that one.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »
Adam - of the garden.  :D
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »
Adam - of the garden.  :D
winner, game over. :aok
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »
An aunt on my mom's side did a family tree all the way back to the 13th or 14th century.  My family acutally had people come over on the Mayflower with columbus in 1492 (when he sailed the ocean blue, hit a rock, split his...) never mind, ya'll know how that ends.

They actually published our family tree in a hardcover book.  It was at least 300 pages long.  It took her many many years and several trips to europe.  I haven't looked at it in a long time, but it was pretty intersesting.

I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the page with the mayflower on it. 

Offline Stage1

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:41:54 PM »
Mine is: Timothy O'Brien 1790 Cork,Ireland  :aok
If it can't get there on it's own, leave it at home!!

Buick GS, Fast with Class!!  www.V8buick.com

Offline Angrist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:46:30 PM »
My family acutally had people come over on the Mayflower with columbus in 1492 (when he sailed the ocean blue, hit a rock, split his...) never mind, ya'll know how that ends.

I REALLY hope that was a joke....otherwise, things are much worse than I thought.....

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »
I'll have to wait until I get home but I have my family tree traced all the way back to the late 1600's.  I can tell you "Wild Bill" Hickok is my great great second uncle. President Bush is also a distant cousin of mine, but I normally don't discuss that one.
Ditto.  I'll get our geneology catalog out. It goes back to 1490 on my mothers side.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 02:07:57 PM »
Ok. Here is the challenge.
Find the ancestor furthest back in your family tree. Where does it date?
Anyone in for the game can "top" the date promoted if there is a lower year.

I am hoping for this to make fun, as well as you folks to look into your geneology. There is now amazing amounts of information available on the internet about this, so if you can trace your name to some of the older geneologies, you may be up for quite some surprizes, related heroes and villains alike.....
Nothing is better than some competition here:)

I'll start by putting the date at an ancestor born before or in..1850
Mine is
"Jóhannes Jóhannesson  1850 Bóndi í Syðri-Vík"
(Johannes Johennes-son, Farmer of Souther-bay born 1850). My great great grandfather.

So, Top me :D

FWIW, before the "internets" they did it through research in libraries.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:10:23 PM »
I think my grandfather came over with Leif Ericson when he sailed the Queen Elizabeth to Cuba and claimed the New World for Spain.

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

[I REALLY hope that was a joke....otherwise, things are much worse than I thought.....

Sorry, got my dates mixed up.  I meant the Mayflower and Plymouth rock.  Cut me some slack.

Offline Leek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »
I think my grandfather came over with Leif Ericson when he sailed the Queen Elizabeth to Cuba and claimed the New World for Spain.

;)

Are you sure that was Leaf? I thought it was Eric the Red, because my Grandmothers, neighbor's, best friends, cousins pool boy's grandfather was the cabin boy.
"Beware, my Jeep of Death!"
LYNCHMOB

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
FWIW, before the "internets" they did it through research in libraries.
libraries are over rated :D
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »
My sister is a geneology freak.  She tracked the Brady side back to the 1780's in Charleston, SC.  She tracked the Bullard side (John Bullard & Wife Rebeccah) back to 1742 in Virginia---and prior to that back to the 1670's in Scotland via church records.

She's digging back even more, but the information isn't always reliable.

The geneology websites you have to pay for are usually no more reliable than the free ones.

One of the best ways are church records and going to old cemeteries.

I am also related to Charlie Pride and Fannie Flagg.

We have some kin in Denton, TX we have never met...I need to go down there some day and get some records from the county for my sister someday.

ROX
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:31:42 PM by ROX »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »
Ah, just having a bit of fun. Not really totally aimed at you but it seemed like fun to try to top your little mis-step there. No offense meant.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!