Author Topic: Skins for KI-67?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Skins for KI-67?
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has considered doing some new skins for the Ki-67? I was looking over some of the great KI-67 camo jobs at the Wings Palette: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/1030/65/0 and began to salivate...

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
Re: Skins for KI-67?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
Was hoping someone would do some.....    :D
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:08:52 PM »
There is only 1 paint scheme. It is on the default skin. Much like the Lancaster, there just aren't any options to skin.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
Did you ck. out the site Seagoon posted??? Theres a few there.
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:18:24 PM »
Hi Krusty,

Operationally the KI-67 had many, many, different paint jobs.

For instance:
1st Chutai, 60th Sentai

2nd chutai, 62nd sentai

3rd chutai, 7th Sentai, Rengou Kantai (Navy Combined Fleet)

And so on... The idea that these birds had only one skin isn't true.
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
Hmmmm.... maybe I'll take as stab at one of those. May be a few weeks out as I've got a couple Jugs & such in the works, but it'd be nice to do some no US skins for a change of pace. Lemme know which one you'd prefer & I'll try that one first. Once I get the panel lines done & anything else that will carry over, I should be able to crank a few out.

<S> JeepinAZ
Mudf1y - Gone, but not forgotten.

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
Seagoon, you're looking at all bad color scans/depictions of the same green over grey.

The fact that the profiles are lighter or darker does not reflect the actual historical color itself. MOST of the profiles on that website are grossly off in the colors they have.

All the Ki67 profiles show the same paint scheme, even if they're wrong in how "green" the green was. Historically it was all the same color.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
Anyone wanting to do KI-67 skins would do well to start here..

Previous Thread

And take a look around here..

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/ArmyJB&W2/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:29:23 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:38:05 PM »
Krusty,

Seagoon, you're looking at all bad color scans/depictions of the same green over grey.

The fact that the profiles are lighter or darker does not reflect the actual historical color itself. MOST of the profiles on that website are grossly off in the colors they have.

All the Ki67 profiles show the same paint scheme, even if they're wrong in how "green" the green was. Historically it was all the same color.

Army KI-67s were generally a variety of the Greens, including the standard Dark Green with Yellow Leading Edges and a whitish underside. As in:

But that was by no means the ONLY scheme - TELL ME THIS IS "THE SAME COLOR":

I'd settle for just a green KI-67 rather than the standard AH2 ORANGE BROWN (Putty).

- SEAGOON

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:39:45 PM by Seagoon »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:45:16 AM »
The mottled scheme you see is a prototype. I believe it's covered in the threads Fencer linked.

P.S. Look here:
http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/ArmyJB&W2/

The mottled skin is a prototype (already discussed, it was one Larry brought up I believe, image broken but post intact), and ALL the rest, save the captured US and German skins, are all the same color, all the same scheme.

They're all the same.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:50:56 AM by Krusty »

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 02:24:35 AM »
The Ki67 skin is very old and screwy. I tryed but it was so much trouble I gave up on it.

There are really only two types of camo green or brown. As krusty said the mottled skin is a prototype and HTC wont let it in game.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:26:39 AM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
Sadly the images Larry "Truekill" did are no longer available on the previous thread but the were remarkably good (at least from the perspective of my untrained eye!)  :aok

I still fly the 67 and lament about the lack of skin choices but so goes life.  :(

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:26:13 PM by Hwkeye »

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »
Krusty,

I'm not asking for the mottled (btw - how do we know its a prototype, given that there are two in the picture?) skin. Just a standard "JAAF Green" like this one:

1st chutai, 60th sentai

Note about the 60th Sentai, their color has various opinions:
1st opinion: Chutai was distinguished by the band color of the vertical tail. In other words Sentai honbu is cobalt blue, 1st chutai is white, 2nd chutai is red, and 3rd chutai is yellow.
2nd opinion: Hiryu painted the band color of vertical tail to cobalt blue about all Chutai, after 60th sentai was moved from Type-97 Heavy Bomber (Mitsubishi Ki-21 II, Sally) to Hiryu. And they distinguished chutai by serial number color. Sentai honbu is cobalt blue numbers, 1st chutai is white numbers, 2nd chutai is red numbers, and 3rd chutai is yellow numbers. This drawing expressed the 2nd opinion.

Any possibility? I'd try it myself, but I have no idea which software to use and no artistic ability at all.

- SEAGOON

EDIT: Put in a new link to the pic of the skin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:10:52 PM by Seagoon »

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Those were the first two prototypes for the IJA. Any skin with a number other then 1, 8, or 11 on the tail will have it messed up on the other side.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 01:16:49 PM »
So more fuel for the fire! 

How about a german KI-67?

or a white-tailed KI-67?

And this sure looks like an operational cami'ed KI to me!