Author Topic: Hurricane IIC...FM Odd?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
Hurricane IIC...FM Odd?
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »
Just a question for the vets.  I've had them dive down and retain E better than a pony or typhie, metal planes that you'd think would hold momentum better because of their weight.  Had a IIC chase me around in the vertical while I was in my 109-K...the thing just kept going.  He dove down from about 2k above me and just would not bleed E during several maneuvers.

Once I pushed over and had him anticipate incorrectly, I was able to extend and put on the gas, but the whole fight had me wondering about the plane.  Was it this good in WWII?  Diving from above, keeping 400+ kts for an extremely long time...was pretty impressive.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Re: Hurricane IIC...FM Odd?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
I often wondered about the hurri IIC myself.  I have been chased by these planes in my hog in a dive and the catch me.  If I remember correctly, a hurri should never be able to catch a hog in a dive coalt.  Let alone stay with a hog in a 450+ mph turn like they have and not break a single part.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
It's because they're made from Titanium in Aces High  :lol
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »
I had one dive from me, came up on his low 6, slowly gaining, at about 1.5 out he nosed over, as did I, I was about 300ft below him, and probably a good 30mph faster.

I was 1.5 out at the beginning of the dive, and 1.5 when we leveled out on the deck.. didnt catch him till after that..

I was in a Jug-40

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
Is there a difference in engine power between the Hurricane Mk.I and IIc?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »
i always use the hurri2 for slow turnfighting. it's MUCH more fun that way :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:49 AM »
Just a question for the vets.  I've had them dive down and retain E better than a pony or typhie, metal planes that you'd think would hold momentum better because of their weight.  Had a IIC chase me around in the vertical while I was in my 109-K...the thing just kept going.  He dove down from about 2k above me and just would not bleed E during several maneuvers.

Once I pushed over and had him anticipate incorrectly, I was able to extend and put on the gas, but the whole fight had me wondering about the plane.  Was it this good in WWII?  Diving from above, keeping 400+ kts for an extremely long time...was pretty impressive.

Like anything else, film would help a lot.

Not saying you're being dishonest, but I often find myself cursing other flight models when in reality I've been giving them advantageous nose low turns to be able to keep their airspeed up and continue to harass me.

I don't think you're seeing it retain E better than a pony or tiffie, simply you're seeing it in one snapshot of its performance envelope. I've really found no problems to this point with any plane I should be able to out run. Just keep paying attention to that alt/e differential at initial engagement.

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »
Is there a difference in engine power between the Hurricane Mk.I and IIc?

The IIc had about 400 more hp and direct fuel injection. 

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
But also half a ton more weight minimum.

The Hurri1 is already underpowered. They added an additional 400hp in the 2C, but ALSO an additional 1000+ lbs of weight. So how does this compute with the performance of the 2C, ESPECIALLY when the 2D, using the same engine but a different armament, takes such a DRASTIC hit in handling (how much of a weight difference is there between the 2C and D?)
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

storch

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:54:17 AM »
after 1942 the hurriIIc was relegated to ground attack because it was not competetive with the 109F, G or the 190As but apparently HTC didn't get that memo.  in fairness the 110s are also somewhat overmodelled. 

if the FM we have in AH was indicative of fact, the 109s FW190s and spits would have been phased out in favor of the Hurricanes and 110s by their respective countries.  Britain having won WWII on the strengths of the hurricane alone would still be fielding them, the current model being the Hurri mk mcmmvxxxiii.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
The hurricane 2c has a couple of elements of its flight model I dont really understand. No question its zoom is awfully good....to good IMO. I've had a hurricane follow my A-20 down and then zoom right with me and even close. It's easy to say he just got faster but when you realize that the A-20 can dive and then zoom both the 109K4 and the hog with a measure of success its a bit baffling. The second anomily is its ability to execute a very hard evasive and "pop back up" with minimal if any E loss. I'm not talking a about a nice tight barrel roll defense or such but a full on 90-120 degree turn and reverse at high G's...for a plane that cant generate much "total E" on its own it sure does seem to carry an awful lot of it thru a fight.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:40:40 AM »
so now you want to pick on my lowly Hurricane! If a Hurricane caught your K4 then that is just poor SA on your part. Same goes for the hog flyer. You guys want to just fly around in stuff that can't be outran, outdove,outturned or outclimbed. Lets just remodel everything around what you like to fly.
Someone in a hurri pawns your 109K4 dragster, so the hurri must be over-modeled :lol Give me a break! the K4 outclimbs the hurricane...use some ACM, extend, climb and come back to the fight.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
FYI-The hurricanes wings were wood ribs with metal piping originally fabric covered but later stressed metal was used.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
They do shear their wings in high speed maneuvers. In AH they can turn on a dime and lose no E.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
The AH representation of hurricane II is just wrong.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera