Author Topic: OK,enuff with the furballers mentality!  (Read 7296 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: OK,enuff with the furballers mentality!
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2008, 01:51:14 AM »
Very good post Dave. I have to agree with you the way things are going there wont be any fights in the MA. The few that you can find will just turn into a mess of giant hoards with a win the war attitude.

Personally, I do not fly to "win the war," but glory to all of those who do.  I wish I could have fun by trying to win the war.  It would make the game a lot more fun to me.  I would prefer to "win the war" according to something approximating historical circumstances...  Still, trying to win the war is healthy fun; complaining and trying to gain the moral high-ground against those who do try to win the war, instead of stopping them, is laughable.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2008, 02:04:40 AM »
Personally, I do not fly to "win the war," but glory to all of those who do.  I wish I could have fun by trying to win the war.  It would make the game a lot more fun to me.  I would prefer to "win the war" according to something approximating historical circumstances...  Still, trying to win the war is healthy fun; complaining and trying to gain the moral high-ground against those who do try to win the war, instead of stopping them, is laughable.

But surely you can't deny that the mentality of those "win the war" folks that we have now is killing the whole 'dogfight,' '1v1,' 'mono y mono' aspect which is what the game is about, as I believe HT said that dogfighting is the main purpose of this game, and the capture system was put in here to help initiate that more.

And no, hoarding, ganging, and vulching is not dogfighting. 

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in furballs, in fact I see it in furballs all the time.  I see it everywhere though.

And just for the record I guess...  I could be viewed as a furballer, but that's only when the other option is base taking.  I actually really despise big mindless furballs.  The only reason I fly in them is 1) squad does and 2) it's a tad more fun/less annoying then base taking.  I would much rather fly around by myself and find a nice one on one (even if I lose horribly).  I wouldn't mind a nice little 3v3/4v4 where there is some symbolence of sportsmanship and honor, but sadly I can very rarely find any of that in the MA's anymore.

donkey

2sBlind

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2008, 02:13:55 AM »
But surely you can't deny that the mentality of those "win the war" folks that we have now is killing the whole 'dogfight,' '1v1,' 'mono y mono' aspect which is what the game is about, as I believe HT said that dogfighting is the main purpose of this game, and the capture system was put in here to help initiate that more.

Yes, I agree that winning the war is incompatible with fair, 1vs1 fights.  If HT actually said that the capture system is supposed to facilitate these kind of fights, then I am speechless. :eek:  Can you quote HT on this?

If I wanted to facilitate 1vs1 fights, then I wouldn't build squads into the game architecture; that's step 1. :noid
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2008, 02:16:31 AM »
Sometimes, the whining is funny. I killed some guy in a P-51. He was mad cause he thought he could out turn me. But not after I hit a couple notches of P-47 flaps.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2008, 02:18:06 AM »
Yes, I agree that winning the war is incompatible with fair, 1vs1 fights.  If HT actually said that the capture system is supposed to facilitate these kind of fights, then I am speechless. :eek:  Can you quote HT on this?

If I wanted to facilitate 1vs1 fights, then I wouldn't build squads into the game architecture; that's step 1. :noid

I'll see if I can find the quote (or if someone else can).  Like I said, I believe that's what I've heard/seen, but I could be wrong, and if I am I apologize.  In the meantime though, I'll try to find it.  And I guess perhaps not just 1v1's (as that would be hard), but I definitely don't think it was just mindless hoards also.

donkey
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 02:25:59 AM by DoNKeY »
2sBlind

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2008, 02:37:08 AM »
If I wanted to make a WWII air combat game around fair fights, not just 1vs1 but many vs many, I would start with a dueling arena and go from there.  After 1vs1 fights, there would be 2vs2 fights.  Then 3vs3, and so on.

Once you got to many vs. many, e.g. 10 vs 10 and more than that, the faster, more heavily armed aircraft would win, other things being equal.  Perhaps the furballers, that is, the stall-fighters, would complain just the same. :rolleyes:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2008, 02:48:58 AM »
Probably what you were thinking of Donkey...
Some play the game to fulfill the actual parameters that it was designed for, which is to overcome and conquer bases, and eventually the country, thus winning the war/game.

This is a false assumption.

The game was designed to have fun at different types of combat. Conquering bases is just a means to promote combat and hence fun. But by no means is it more or less justified than going out and just mixing it up.

HiTech

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2008, 02:55:06 AM »
There you are. Look, you just need to fly other things besides that Spixteen, or that N1k. I got that way. Going from La7 to P-47D40/F4U-1D. I went through the lines of "dweeb" planes and now the planes that pick people.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2008, 02:58:28 AM »
There you are. Look, you just need to fly other things besides that Spixteen, or that N1k. I got that way. Going from La7 to P-47D40/F4U-1D. I went through the lines of "dweeb" planes and now the planes that pick people.
When you hit the HO planes, try out the B25H...If the cannon doesn't screw em up, the sheer amount of .50s will...

:noid
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2008, 03:02:18 AM »

how many times you gonna say "win the war" ?
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2008, 04:30:13 AM »
You pretty much said it all and I agree with it, except the DA isn't that great of  place to find a fight. Unless you get someone to 1 on 1 with you. The furball lake is worse than the MA's with noobs and gang tards. 

Crockett..... that's what I said, too! ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2008, 04:57:27 AM »
here's a thought.

wouldn't it be "interesting" if all the "furballers" started porking. 

t'is rather difficult for the bad guys to take bases without troops and ord.

just a quick flight to hit a strat target at an enemy field and the hoarding "win the war types" would be stopped cold.

one hop.

10-15 min. of ones time.

no more "win the war".

hmmmmm....................... ............
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »
Sure, Lute, you're right, but this thread topic is more about being picked while you fight than about the "win the war" mentality.... of course, it derailed a bit. ;)

Anaxagoras, furballing is not synonymous of stall-fighting.

BnZ, I want to reply to your last posts, but they're so thick a text-wall that I'll need some free time! :lol
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 05:32:56 AM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2008, 05:45:48 AM »
Sure, Lute, you're right, but this thread topic is more about being picked while you fight than about the "win the war" mentality.... of course, it derailed a bit. ;)

I thought the community is calling all the timid hoard flying chery pickers "win the war types".  (i.e. things that take little to no skill)

Just as they call the players that like the art of the Aerial Combat over all else "furballers".  (i.e. took the time to actually learn how to fight)

Let me know if i'm not thinkin' correctly, as that has been known to happen (and much more often as of late).

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »
Funny, it looks to me like you just enjoy calling people names.

tard

j/k... it's only when they deserve it. I have zero respect at all for gangtards and picktards. I could really care less what they think of me.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:13:21 AM by crockett »
"strafing"