Author Topic: Why don't you guys have a dogfighting school?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline McLovin1

• Zinc Member
Why don't you guys have a dogfighting school?
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
A dogfighting school would own all.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Why don't you guys have a dogfighting school?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »
We have a full official Training corps, and we have clinics hosted by Trainers on occassion.........as well if you read the front page of the Trainers offical website you will see that there is an Academy in the works......

and anyone can ask for 1 on 1 training upon request via email......

on another topic, McLovin1, what is your ingame gameid? and do you know the following?
have you learned your plane's performance characteristics yet? do you know your planes flight envelope? do you know all your BFM's?  do you understand SA? do you understand Energy management?  can you judge another planes E - State?
can you follow an opponent flying in different viewing directions without looking forward view at all and keep it out of the terraferma?

there is alot to learn before jumping into advanced training........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bergy

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »
We do, it's called the main arena..sink or swim.  :O   Dualing arena and training arenas like TequilaChaser says, a great place to learn.
Game name ToeTag

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »

"as well if you read the front page of the Trainers offical website you will see that there is an Academy in the works......"   T.C.

yes and my new documentary will be titled:

"aces high: the top gun graduates"

click to see full size.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:41:51 PM by goober69 »
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »
Dualing arena <...> a great place to learn.

I couldn't disagree more about that one. After spending some time in there tonight practicing in a different ride I had to go back to the Main Arenas to escape some of the most dweebiest behavior I've ever seen. :P

Dueling Arena's gone down fast since 8-player closed and the freeloaders got accounts.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:03:40 AM »
Um, Mclovin, many of the skilled stick in this game is are almost incredibly enthusiastic about teaching and amazingly generous with their free time. :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:23:06 AM »
"as well if you read the front page of the Trainers offical website you will see that there is an Academy in the works......"   T.C.

yes and my new documentary will be titled:

"aces high: the top gun graduates"

The five guys who died in that accident probably wouldn't think that image was particularly funny. 

click to see full size.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline E2hawkey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
WW@ Raf pilots had 2weeks of training if that then  tangled  with luftwaffa :rock
sandman

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »
Um, Mclovin, many of the skilled stick in this game is are almost incredibly enthusiastic about teaching and amazingly generous with their free time. :aok

So true and not just the training corps.  BnZ himself is one of those that is most generous with his time in trying to help this rotten pilot attempt to get better. As is his squad CO, Lambo.  They have spent hours with me in the TA in the last month alone AND BnZ has probably spent hours writing emails that answer questions I think of between training sessions.
A very public thank you to BnZ and Lambo for the help they have given me.  Somehow I doubt they really want it though.  Modest folks...
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
<snip>
on another topic, McLovin1, what is your ingame gameid?
<snip>

Might be mclovinh, saw one of them flying the other day.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »

Go into the training arena and ask for some help.  A lot of people will give you their time so long as you are polite and respectful.  Something that helped me a lot recently was playing offline missions.  US Ranger and Baumer have put together some really good ones that helped me with SA, gunnery, and throttle control.  The nice thing about the offline missions is you can get in a 10 to 20 minute practice session any time you want.

Also TequilaChaser has it correct.  Go to the trainers webpage and see if you can set up a time with a trainer. 

Good luck
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
    Forget "dogfighting".  Flyers who dogfight (especially solo, without a wingman) are just sitting ducks.   If you have to resort to dogfighting to stay alive...  you botched picking your target in the first place.  Dogfighting is a maneuver of last resort.  If you don't ENTER an engagement ALREADY IN a position of advantage, you really shouldn't be engaging the enemy to begin with. 
    For instance. The target you're looking for is some guy isolated from his friends. The kind of guy who likes flying over the top of inexperienced pilots who are under their own flak VULCHING their own field.   You come in at 4 thousand feet above this guy diving on him out of the sun and blow him out of the air.  He's fixated on the half a dozen vulchers under him.  I love this tactic because it has the added benefit of pissing off the vulchers who were hoping for a dogfight where they could run and hide under their own flak when things get tough.
    What if you miss ?  Or you only damage the other guys plane ?  You do what any REAL fighter pilot would do.  You use your dive energy to climb back up to a safe altitude and you fly home to get more bullets.  You don't resort to a dogfight.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
    Forget "dogfighting".  Flyers who dogfight (especially solo, without a wingman) are just sitting ducks.   If you have to resort to dogfighting to stay alive...  you botched picking your target in the first place.  Dogfighting is a maneuver of last resort.  If you don't ENTER an engagement ALREADY IN a position of advantage, you really shouldn't be engaging the enemy to begin with. 
    For instance. The target you're looking for is some guy isolated from his friends. The kind of guy who likes flying over the top of inexperienced pilots who are under their own flak VULCHING their own field.   You come in at 4 thousand feet above this guy diving on him out of the sun and blow him out of the air.  He's fixated on the half a dozen vulchers under him.  I love this tactic because it has the added benefit of pissing off the vulchers who were hoping for a dogfight where they could run and hide under their own flak when things get tough.
    What if you miss ?  Or you only damage the other guys plane ?  You do what any REAL fighter pilot would do.  You use your dive energy to climb back up to a safe altitude and you fly home to get more bullets.  You don't resort to a dogfight.

If this is the sum total view of how to play this game and engage in air to air combat then someone will miss out on a lot this game has to offer. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »
And if you follow ^^^^^^^^ that advice, your're dead meat everytime you are surprised by an enemy with more E. Because you "forgot" dogfighting, you aren't able to fight yourself out of a disadvantageous situation.
Also you absolutely have to stay away from many fun airplanes that just happen to suck at BnZ.

BTW, what's your ingame handle, Stephen?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
You can always tell the guys who spend time in the DA and/or TA. Even with every advantage on them they somehow find a way to get on your 6. Thats what "learning to dogfight" does for you.

Stephen you think we spend all that money for our jet fighter pilots to Top Gun, and other advanced training, in order to learn how to dogfight, for nothing?

I had my arse handed to me tonight by a guy in a 15 eny Hellcat, I was in a 5 eny LA-7, because he knew how to dogfight better then me. He used the strengths of his aircraft better then I did mine. Even tho I had alt and speed on him he still used his E better then I.

Your new to this game right? Then dont fool yourself. The most dangerous guys in this game are the great dog-fighters. Ive seen em wiggle around with 1/2 dozen cons slicing on them in something ridiculous like an early zero or an FM2. Its like trying to catch a oiled pig.

One reason my scores always suck is I tangle with them no matter what. You aint going to learn nothing by HO'ing once, in your 400 mph LA, and then running.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"