Author Topic: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are  (Read 7334 times)

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 09:20:12 AM »
    Another trick used by experienced players is to lead newbies over a hill or a town with an Ostwind or Wirbelwind sitting there.  You see this alot in the MA.  It's no coincidence the flak panzer is there.  These guys are working as a team.  Don't fall for this one either.  It's a trap.
    Eventually after several newbies have been dispatched in a proper grotesque manner somebody on your side will scream "SOMEBODY KILL THAT WIRBELWIND" !   The guy on the wirbelwind is as good as the guy flying the plane as bait.   Don't allow others to goad you into doing something they arn't willing to do themselves.   Avoid this situation like the plague.  Turn and fly away in the opposite direction. 

Posted by the TROLL, or DWEEB
                                                       whatever,

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
I just started laughing when I read this post.

Check my score. Its like .5 k/d....LOLOL. But that is because I fly from caped bases, fly low into hords, intentionally let people on my six, fly low, and fight any better pilot I spot. If I wanted 5.0 k/d i could have it. But that number means nothing to me. What does matter is the "fight". I usually get 4 or 5 really great fights each night but sometimes none. And I fly A LOT of sorties. Does this mean I am a safe target????? heheheh well just catch me low and slow sometime and we shall see.

From day one I saught out the best pilots and engaged them anytime I could. The best way to alienate them is to follow your advice. If you fight them when you can and get there attention perhaps by acutally killing or even just showing good sportsmanship they will open thier doors to you. If you show cowardace tactics you can bet you won't get one bit of help.

I'm a relatively new player. i took on some of the top dogs of this game. storch, tbarone, Truekill and n72 just to name a few. the next thing i know, they invited me into their squad and are teaching me new things all the time. this wouldnt have happened if i hadnt kept coming out and fighting them. they said i had "heart".
i still suck but i have a great time and i learn new things from them and occationally i even get in a kill. hidding in the ack wont get you this. coming out and fighting will. dont be afraid to die, just learn from it.
Agent360 said it best! have fun, and dont worry about scores. Worry about sportsmenship and learning how to be a good pilot.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »
    Another trick used by experienced players is to lead newbies over a hill or a town with an Ostwind or Wirbelwind sitting there.  You see this alot in the MA.  It's no coincidence the flak panzer is there.  These guys are working as a team.  Don't fall for this one either.  It's a trap.
    Eventually after several newbies have been dispatched in a proper grotesque manner somebody on your side will scream "SOMEBODY KILL THAT WIRBELWIND" !   The guy on the wirbelwind is as good as the guy flying the plane as bait.   Don't allow others to goad you into doing something they arn't willing to do themselves.   Avoid this situation like the plague.  Turn and fly away in the opposite direction. 

Posted by the TROLL, or DWEEB
                                                       whatever,

oh man, this is getting good.  <wishes we still had the popcorn smiley>
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »
1000lb bomb + vertical drop from at least 5000ft = dead Wirblewind.

Or just roll in a low B-25H and lob pumpkins at him from 4000yds out until he goes poof.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:01 AM »
    If you're a newbie.  One thing you can do to increase your survival rate is learn the names of the best enemy pilots.  Check the Roster and score under fighter.  The guys you are looking for have a kill to death ratio of 5-1.   If you see somebody land with 7 or 8 kills, i recommend you write down their name.  You can BnZ these guys and get away with it, but you better do a good honest BnZ and get outta there if you don't kill em.  Don't stick around and dog fight with one or you'll likely end up DEAD.
    Don't return to a sector if you know a HOT SHOT enemy pilot is working there.  Unless you come back in a superior plane with alot of altitude advantage (not too much though, about 4K should do it), so you can easily disengage.   Like a P-57 versus a Zero.   You don't wanna still be climbing struggeling to reach your attack altitude when you enter the sector.  You wanna be level and fast to surprise these guys.   They do tend to fixate though on other newbies who try to hide under their own flak at bases and CV's.  So you might catch'em unaware.  But my advise is to avoid em like the plague until you get some experience.
     There are plenty of mediocre pilots out there you can practice on.  And even the AI in the offline arenas will give you a run for your money.  The advice about gaining experience by flying against the best in the MA is o.k, if you're interested in learning how to get yourself killed over and over again.  Just my opinion. 

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »

Oh know they know about my awesome Wirbelness!  Being serious for a moment I highly suggest going into a fight with a mindset of I will do my best to live through it, and gain valuable experience regardless whether you live or die.  Players so called ranking should never cause you to shy from any fight.  Some of the best fights I have had come from both sides of the spectrum from low ranked pilots to top ranked pilots.

Waystin2
WibelWind/Ostwind Expert
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:23:00 AM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »
I can't help but add that, another trick vets use to kill n00bs, and one of the most obvious, is to learn acm and practice it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
 :lol
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 11:20:49 AM »
    That's right.  The best way to learn "Air Combat" techniques is to team up with an experienced pilot and fly with him as his wingman on the same radio frequency.   That way the experienced pilot can explain to you what he's doing and why he's doing it, as it's happening.   That's the way REAL training is conducted.   Newbies should not be thrown away to die in a proper grotesque manner, filming their own death in the hope of learning something.   
     What can you learn from filming your own death and reviewing the film later ?  Not much.  Just that you died.  You can't tell from looking at an enemy plane in a film whether he's flying with his flaps out or flying at half throttle.   About all you can tell, is if he lowers his landing gear so you overshoot him.  Telling a newbie to film his own death and learn from it, is about as useful as strapping a video camera to the back of a cow in a slaughterhouse.
      New pilots should not have to "prove" their "worthiness" by dying repeatedly for experienced pilots.   A new pilot having proved NOTHING, is still a valuable resource, just because he's shown up to play on your countries side.   That alone is enough to warrant his training.   
      Until the experienced pilot recognizes this responsibility and stops exploiting newbies and handing out nearly worthless advise, new players in the MA will continue to play at their customary substandard level.   And instead of the game becoming more challenging, it will stagnate just as it has.   With new players falling in and out of the game frustrated by the indifference of their teammates.

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:06 AM »

What can you learn from filming your own death and reviewing the film later ?  Not much.  Just that you died.  You can't tell from looking at an enemy plane in a film whether he's flying with his flaps out or flying at half throttle.   About all you can tell, is if he lowers his landing gear so you overshoot him.  Telling a newbie to film his own death and learn from it, is about as useful as strapping a video camera to the back of a cow in a slaughterhouse.
      New pilots should not have to "prove" their "worthiness" by dying repeatedly for experienced pilots.   A new pilot having proved NOTHING, is still a valuable resource, just because he's shown up to play on your countries side.   That alone is enough to warrant his training.   
      Until the experienced pilot recognizes this responsibility and stops exploiting newbies and handing out nearly worthless advise, new players in the MA will continue to play at their customary substandard level.   And instead of the game becoming more challenging, it will stagnate just as it has.   With new players falling in and out of the game frustrated by the indifference of their teammates.

Your wrong on the film first off, film tells you HOW You died, what moves you should of made you didnt, saying films are useless is like saying having bombs on a plane matters much when your dogfighting. New pilots dont have to prove anything from experienced pilots, either they learn or they dont. Most players have a 2 week subscription and when they can't shoot down 40 and land they give up. Most new players end up in the training arena where I know there are a half dozen great helpers and trainers willing to spend time with everyone personally.
I myself spend few hours with one or multiple people not giving them "worthless advice" but trying to teach them how to enjoy the game better.

Everyone has their own way of deciding what they want from this game, whether its to be a dogfighter, or bomber pilot or possible a GV'r some want to do all 3. You have to ask the questions and find out whose good in what and get the answers. I myself a 5 year vet I made quite a few posts on the training forums asking help on certain rides, yes im an experienced driver, doesn't mean I cant ask for help either.

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »
I learned more from watching a five minute murdr film from every angle and 100 times in a row, than I did from a month of dogfighting. The film lets you go back and dissect every move look at every external angle, chase plane views , watch the fight from both your cockpit or the enemy/trainer 's cockpit, and the feature i love is the wing trails a HUGE help  if you ask me. You say you cant learn from filming your own death. I say you will learn more watching one good death than you will shooting down 100 "mediocre" players. :noid
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »
I can't Say I am the best, but I have learned for the best. I have been with may people like Dogg, Dutchie, TC, and and BK and all of them are some of the best pilots in the game.
I always like to take the best to the DA and get killed by them, but I know that I am already gonna get killed. I see what they do and what mistakes that I made and I now have a clue on how to counter react it. 
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »
    If you're a newbie.  One thing you can do to increase your survival rate is learn the names of the best enemy pilots.  Check the Roster and score under fighter.  The guys you are looking for have a kill to death ratio of 5-1.   If you see somebody land with 7 or 8 kills, i recommend you write down their name.  You can BnZ these guys and get away with it, but you better do a good honest BnZ and get outta there if you don't kill em.  Don't stick around and dog fight with one or you'll likely end up DEAD.
    Don't return to a sector if you know a HOT SHOT enemy pilot is working there.  Unless you come back in a superior plane with alot of altitude advantage (not too much though, about 4K should do it), so you can easily disengage.   Like a P-57 versus a Zero.   You don't wanna still be climbing struggeling to reach your attack altitude when you enter the sector.  You wanna be level and fast to surprise these guys.   They do tend to fixate though on other newbies who try to hide under their own flak at bases and CV's.  So you might catch'em unaware.  But my advise is to avoid em like the plague until you get some experience.
     There are plenty of mediocre pilots out there you can practice on.  And even the AI in the offline arenas will give you a run for your money.  The advice about gaining experience by flying against the best in the MA is o.k, if you're interested in learning how to get yourself killed over and over again.  Just my opinion. 

Timid Pilot's Dicta?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »
         What can you learn from filming your own death and reviewing the film later ?  Not much.  Just that you died. 

ooooo soooooo wrong!!!!!!!!

each and every fight i lose, that i have film running, i can very easily identify where and when i made the mistake. that was even when i was new. if i did nothing really wrong, i was able to see what exactly the other guy did to get the shot. either way, although what your trying to suggest is very good, do not discourage noobs from filming. i've been flying about 2 years or so, although ya can't tell from my skill :rofl, and i STILL film. next to a trainer, or a good wingie, it is the single most valuable learning tool in the game.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
JFK said it best when he was making his "Go to the moon speach"....

"Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..."

Why fight a better AH player?  Not because it is easy but because it is hard.  Good fights against great players that result in trips to the tower make better cartoon pilots.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:32:49 PM by SunBat »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla