Author Topic: What caused the US Housing market collapse?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
What caused the US Housing market collapse?
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:58:28 AM »
Would like to hear what you got to say about this. Why did the US housing market collapse??? I live in Europe and would like to hear from US citizens your opinion on this.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Re: What caused the US Housing market collapse?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »
Answer:  People treating the housing market like the stock market.

If you or I invest a bunch of money in the stock market, and that stock tanks, we lose our investment.  In the case of the housing market, the stock people were investing in was the roof over their head.

People who in no way should have been able to qualify for a mortgage, were given adjustable-rate (or interest-only) mortgages on the assumption that the housing market would continue to climb at yearly double-digit rates of return.  The house they planned on selling after 3 years and raking in a 25% - 50% return on their investment suddenly was worth no more than the day they bought it.  Not only that, but their mortgage payment increased 50-100% when the interest rate reset after that 3-year period.  Suddenly unable to pay their mortgage (ie. living beyond their means), banks foreclosed.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »
Yup.  And instead of allowing these people to wallow in their own stupidity, the US Government will attempt to bail them out with OUR money.

"Nature abhors a moron." Mencken (I really like this guy)
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
Would like to hear what you got to say about this. Why did the US housing market collapse??? I live in Europe and would like to hear from US citizens your opinion on this.

Really it's not a collapse, although many people call it that. It's more of a correction for the bubble caused by speculators and questionable mortgages.  The houses became overvalued for a time and now it is correcting.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 12:16:41 PM »
Yup.  And instead of allowing these people to wallow in their own stupidity, the US Government will attempt to bail them out with OUR money.

"Nature abhors a moron." Mencken (I really like this guy)

I thought it was the banks who got support ? I'm wrong ?

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:19:52 PM »
Correct, Correct, and Correct.

In addition to (and probably more significant) bailing out the people who took out these mortages, we the people are bailing out the lenders...the banks.   IMHO they should be made to suffer the consequences of their actions....but then again how would that have an effect on other things?

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
Answer:  People treating the housing market like the stock market.

If you or I invest a bunch of money in the stock market, and that stock tanks, we lose our investment.  In the case of the housing market, the stock people were investing in was the roof over their head.

Except if I invest in the stock market, typically I do it with my own money rather than the bank's. One of the big problems was the bank's got cold feet after realizing how badly exposed they'd let themselves become to shaky loan deals. Almost overnight, they started applying some common sense to loan acceptance criteria and suddenly, all those people with variable rate loans looking to refinance at the end of their introductory period found they no longer qualified. When their rates jumped from 1% to 5 or 6%, they were screwed.

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »
I believe that another scenario is that so many people have lost their jobs, they had to do something..so they went in the house building business...hence too many houses and not enough people to buy them...hence...supply and demand.
 Also...greedy CEOS....they rolled the dice on sub-prime loans ...the loans went down the tubes...the banks and
lending institutions lost their arses...The past CEOS now sit in the tropics somewhere enjoying life
while many people suffer from their bad decisions.
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »
What? Are you saying that your government is paying the BANKS for their stupidity to loan money to the wrong people?

Truth has no agenda.

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »
Donzo,

Isn't it one step farther.  We are supporting the Wall Street banks who bought basically junk bonds built on the junk mortgages.  So the bailout has hit both the mid-stream lenders/underwriters and the large profit-greedy wall street banks. 

The bailout on the per-person level has been much, much slower.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
What? Are you saying that your government is paying the BANKS for their stupidity to loan money to the wrong people?

Basically.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »

Yes.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »
Great, another way for the banks to milk taxpayers on money, sheesh.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:47 PM »
I believe that another scenario is that so many people have lost their jobs, they had to do something..so they went in the house building business...hence too many houses and not enough people to buy them...hence...supply and demand.
 Also...greedy CEOS....they rolled the dice on sub-prime loans ...the loans went down the tubes...the banks and
lending institutions lost their arses...The past CEOS now sit in the tropics somewhere enjoying life
while many people suffer from their bad decisions.

Wrong.  The construction industry is what it always has been.  Except for the very large guys (which even then it still affects them greatly), the industry comes and goes as the value of houses goes up, and the inflation goes down (or doesn't rise as quickly).

The problem wasn't with the number of houses, but the sizes.  People were trying to live beyond their means at all levels.  An upper middle class family of 4 doesn't need a 4500 square foot new house to live.  And unless they actually have the money they shouldn't go for it.  For the same reason that a lower class person shouldn't try to get a smaller house under a sub prime loan.

People got burnt all the way around*.  Hopefully they'll have learned from it.

*That is except for the biggest companies in home production and sales.  A lot of them like Toll, Ryan, and Pulte had a bad habit of putting up a house that should have cost $300 to build, for $200, and selling them for $600 to $1,500.  They'll take a hit to their enormous profit margins, but not much else.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
One can argue that it's the banks that give ppl credit that are to blame. All banks want us to take loans, it's good for the economy, it's good for the banks. All banks profit from lending, so they want to lend us more money. So who's to blame, the people for taking the loans offered by the banks, or the banks for offering the loans?

Truth has no agenda.