Author Topic: July FSO, Der Zeite Blitz: 1945  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
Re: July FSO, Der Zeite Blitz: 1945
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »
I never said the Allies couldn't cross the Channel, I just stated that I didn't want to see folks strafing 262's on the runway.  You catch 'em on final, that's one thing--shooting them while they taxi is another.
I think something got switched around.  The problem isn't the 262's getting vulched, it's the 262's vulching with 5 minutes left and having enough time to get home with their high speed.  Whether actually on the ground or on final approach, the 262's will have easy kills available (not giving axis ideas, just pointing out potential problem  :salute)
I have no problem with the number of 262's, but I'd vote that they have to be past the center of the channel at End of game -5 or some other point depending on placement of bases.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
I somehow get the sense that you've never flown a 262 in this game.

That's not at all likely to EVER happen the way you describe. 262s would most likely all get shot down by ack or by the fighters trying to land before getting any vulches in.

Even a single .50cal ping near the engine will spill your oil. With only 1 engine the 262 is slower than most piston planes.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »
Right, that's the armchair eval.  Let's wait and see.  
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
Even a single .50cal ping near the engine will spill your oil. With only 1 engine the 262 is slower than most piston planes.

Substitute a .30cal and you've pretty much described the engine on the Corsair.  :rolleyes:
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »
This should prove to be exciting. I am excited to get back into FSO with my old Squad, the 412th is returning to FSO! 
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 07:06:55 PM »
I somehow get the sense that you've never flown a 262 in this game.

That's not at all likely to EVER happen the way you describe. 262s would most likely all get shot down by ack or by the fighters trying to land before getting any vulches in.

You're right I don't have 262 experience.  I'll sleep much better now though knowing that I'll have ack and 50 cals of landing planes protecting me.   :noid

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
I am a bit amazed about all this worry about vulching.  Couple simple rules:

Don't rearm at a base under attack.
Don't rearm at a base that is a designated target for attack.
Plan more than 3 minutes ahead when looking for a place to land and tower out.

I am simply astonished at the number of times I have seen large formations of aircraft rearming at a target field while it is under attack.  Saw it again at a CV last week.  Like some guy is going to circle in his TBM or Kate waiting for the cap to up again so he can he bomb it?

Those with long memories might remember a TOD we had once where the commander insisted his fighters spawn and wait on the ground for 10 minutes.  Nearest enemy field was < than 10 minutes away.  Short event that night for a whole lot of stunned people.

Back to topic:

If Allies don't have a ground attack mission - I reckon give the Axis 128 262s.  They'll need them.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »
Judging by this discussion it will be an outstanding FSO.  Frame One will be especially tense. 

Keepin my fingers crossed for a good ride in Frame One.   :pray
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
This has been amusing. The P-47 flat out owns above 26k, which above there is where they are going to be camped out. Combine this with the insane fuel we are going to load, and great gun ballistics is going to be hell for the 262. I think this is going to be a landslide in the allied favor. The kind of pilots I have seen in 262s means they are going get frustrated turn otherwise do something stupid and are going to either die or head home with engines out. I think the Arados are going to be meat on the table for anything that will have alt on them.

So in the end the allies are going to lose very few aircraft, the ones that get bored and stop looking around. The Germans are going to lose those Arados (who could hit anything to begin with) and are going to lose a fair number of 262s. Not to mention those 152s which are so unstable in roll and yaw that they couldn’t shoot to save their lives. Anyone want to argue the outcome of this?

Vlkyrie1 <S>

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 10:12:40 PM »
UP THE IRONS!  :devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »
I am glad I came up with this idea........ this is going to be a BLAST!!!

:D
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 01:48:17 AM »
I think that 262s should only be able to up from certain bases that the allies know about and can cover.  Also the high alt spit and p-47 fights will be amazing fun.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2008, 07:08:37 AM »
I am glad I came up with this idea........ this is going to be a BLAST!!!

:D

All Hail Sled.

There will be smoke in the air, terror in the skies and gnashing of teeth.
(as the whining has already begun) :t
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2008, 09:18:58 AM »
I think that 262s should only be able to up from certain bases that the allies know about and can cover.  Also the high alt spit and p-47 fights will be amazing fun.

You might think so, but not really.

They're not that much fun. Usually the higher aircraft (allied) hold all the cards. 190ds as modeled in this game are simply DOGMEAT to all but early P-47s, where they are fought to a stalemate. We've seen this in many past high-alt FSOs before. The only plane that can compete with allies at alt is the 109K-4 and to a lesser extent the 109G-14, but both of these are limited in alt and manuverability at alt. A P-47 and P-51 can make a nice gentle turn at 30k+ but at 30k a 109 can't even bank without losing 500fpm. Any fight will have to be dragged DOWN before it can be fought, which gives the allies all the cards, bouncing from above, choosing when to attack, when to disengage, flying circles around the LW planes in-game.

Let's face it, there's just no fair setup for super-late-war rides in this game. It's too lopsided IMO.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
The only plane that can compete with allies at alt is the 109K-4 and to a lesser extent the 109G-14, but both of these are limited in alt and manuverability at alt.
Ta152.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you