Author Topic: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap  (Read 6116 times)

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
Re: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »
thank you Mr. Rox.  I've been grilling salmon with lemon pepper seasoning and butter..dont know if its healthy but its delicio.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that!   :aok    :salute

Most people don't like fish because it smells "fishy".

If it smells fishy before you buy it you may not want to buy it.

Sadly, many Americans don't live near the coast where fresh fish markets are common.  Many people in The Bay area get up before dawn to go down to the markets of the wharf for the absolute freshest catch.  Flounder (which I can't stand) should have no  smell at all, it is said that fresh White Fish smells like cucumber.  This is the way to go....if you can do it.

Most of us have to settle for fresh fish under celophane at the store...bummer.  

It can be a great idea to be on a very friendly basis with your store's chief butcher.  If they will let you, get them to let you sniff your fish (yeah, sounds kinky) before they package it for you to buy.

One of the best ways to mak sure fish isn't "fishy" is to either cook it as soon as you get home or to marinate it in citrus juice.

Maybe Nilsen will weigh in---he's probably got a lot more experience with fresh fish than I do.

ROX

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:26:22 PM by ROX »

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »
I am an avid fisherman here in the south.  Fresh water fish all the way!.  I have plenty of Stripers, large and smallmouth bass, crappie, brim, and catfish in my freezer waiting to be fried/...uh..i mean grilled :)
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »
I am an avid fisherman here in the south.  Fresh water fish all the way!.  I have plenty of Stripers, large and smallmouth bass, crappie, brim, and catfish in my freezer waiting to be fried/...uh..i mean grilled :)

My mother-in-law easily substitutes chunks of freshwater fish in her crab cakes.  That might be a tasty option for you as well.

Classic Crab Cakes

Base Recipe By: Emeril Lagassi

2                  tablespoons olive oil
1 cup            small diced yellow onions
1/2 cup         small diced celery
1/4 cup         small diced red bell peppers
1/4 cup         small diced yellow bell peppers
1 T              chopped garlic
1 lb              lump crab meat, cleaned and picked for cartilage
1/4 cup        chopped green onions
1/4 cup        grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 T              finely chopped parsley
3 T              Creole mustard
4 T              fresh lemon juice, juice of 2 lemons
2                 eggs   
1/2 cup,       plus 3 cups for frying vegetable oil
1/4 t           white pepper
1/2 t           Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t           Tabasco sauce (or 2 shakes)
1 1/2 cups    fine bread crumbs
1/4 cup        all-purpose flour
3 t              Creole seasoning
1 t              water
                  Salt and pepper to taste (about 1T of each +/1)

In a medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and peppers (The Trinity, again). Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the crab meat, green onions, grated cheese, parsley, Creole mustard, and juice of one lemon together. Mix to incorporate. Set the mixture aside. In a food processor with a metal blade, process 1 egg and remaining lemon juice for 1 minute. With the machine running, slowly add the 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. The mixture will be thick after all the oil is incorporated. Add the white pepper, Worcestershire and hot sauce, process the mixture to incorporate. Season the mayonnaise with salt and pepper.

Fold the sautéed vegetables into the crab mixture. Fold in the mayonnaise and 3/4 cup of bread crumbs into the crab mixture. Mix well. In a shallow bowl, season the flour with 1 teaspoon of the Creole seasoning. In another bowl, whisk the remaining egg with the water. Finally in one bowl, combine the remaining bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning together. Portion the filling into 1/3 cup balls. Form the balls into patties, about 1-inch thick.

Pour oil into a saute pan and heat to 360 degrees about 2 minutes. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned flour. Dip the cakes in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned bread crumbs, covering the cakes completely. Gently lay the cakes in the oil and fry for 4 minutes on each side.

Remove the cakes from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season the cakes with the remaining Creole seasoning.

Makes 10 standard (restaraunt sized) cakes

Substiture fish chunks for crab meat.

Since real crabmeat can be hard to find (we all don't live on the coasts, ya know) and/or expensive...I use Immitation Crab Meat instead.  It's WAY cheaper.

The refridgerator pickles, potato salad & stroganoff look great.  I'm doing the crock pot stroganoff next week as the whole will be very busy.

ROX

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:40:26 PM by ROX »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
While it's still summer....

Google for Cuban Style Burgers Bobby Flay

It's so funky sounding but I have heard they are fantastic.

ROX

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
Last time I went to Alaska, I had salmon with the most delicious berry sauce. I think it may have been cranberry sauce. I'll have to find out & post that.  It was far different than the usual butter & lemon sauce.  Just awesome.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2008, 03:52:34 PM »

so when and where are you having the fish fry?
gonna have crunchy french fries too?
how about deep fried okra?
and deep fried sliced thin crooked neck squash?
and maybe some deep fried zucchini?
and don't forget the deep fried green beans.
maybe some boiled peanuts too.
oh and home made fresh dinner rolls still warm from the oven with butter melted on top.
might need to boil some hotdogs in Budweiser with the fixings and grill some burgers for the weird ones that don't/can't eat fish.
and don't forget the kegs of homebrewed beers, & better yet the Mead.

live a little, have a fried food party. (invest in antacids before the party day)
you know you want to.
then you'll have a good reason to go fishing again, to restock the freezer.
hmmm maybe have a AH Con fish fry.
on second thought with all of us old geezers that might turn into a cardiac arrest party. (inform all EMS in area, to be on standby with all available equipment day of party)

well just a thought or two.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
Last time I went to Alaska, I had salmon with the most delicious berry sauce. I think it may have been cranberry sauce. I'll have to find out & post that.  It was far different than the usual butter & lemon sauce.  Just awesome.

Please find & post!

Is TxDad holding the egg roll recipe hostage?  :rofl

It's Tougher in Alaska!

ROX

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »

They are right!

Weekend Fish Fry at Bongs House!
I'll help cook...have a Weber Grill handy?

YES!  Fryed OKRA IS AWESOME!

I can hear all of our arteries hardening alreaady!

ROX

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »
so when and where are you having the fish fry?
gonna have crunchy french fries too?
how about deep fried okra?
and deep fried sliced thin crooked neck squash?
and maybe some deep fried zucchini?
and don't forget the deep fried green beans.
maybe some boiled peanuts too.
oh and home made fresh dinner rolls still warm from the oven with butter melted on top.
might need to boil some hotdogs in Budweiser with the fixings and grill some burgers for the weird ones that don't/can't eat fish.
and don't forget the kegs of homebrewed beers, & better yet the Mead.

live a little, have a fried food party. (invest in antacids before the party day)
you know you want to.
then you'll have a good reason to go fishing again, to restock the freezer.
hmmm maybe have a AH Con fish fry.
on second thought with all of us old geezers that might turn into a cardiac arrest party. (inform all EMS in area, to be on standby with all available equipment day of party)

well just a thought or two.

You left out two things....homemade hush puppies and onion rings.  Everything else sounds like our usual fish fry.  And we're probably having one this saturday
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »
   :lol  ROX how did you know we were having one this weekend.  I got the warning about someone posting while i was reading when i posted what i just did  :lol
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
   :lol  ROX how did you know we were having one this weekend.  I got the warning about someone posting while i was reading when i posted what i just did  :lol

I cannot reveal my sources.

:noid     :noid     :noid       :noid   

ROX

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
You left out two things....homemade hush puppies and onion rings.  Everything else sounds like our usual fish fry.  And we're probably having one this saturday

and where, exactly, is the looney bin?  I'm hungry holmes :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »
A small town known as Dyersburg, Tennessee.  80 some odd miles north of memphis
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »

Dyersburg ROCKS!

Great old fashioned southern town.

One of my favorites was Union City, TN.  Right on the line with KY.  Why?  Because when we were on the way back to NE Mississippi to visit family, that was the first town that had a Sonic!  We as kids LOVED that place!  After driving all the way from North of Chicago, it would be late afternoon and we all wanted Sonic.  Just cross the train tracks on hwy 45 and turn right. 

#2 (with mustard) burger and onion rings that were as hot as the sun.

Yeah buddy.

ROX

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2008, 06:32:03 PM »

Beautiful country... sadly too far of a drive. :furious
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute