Author Topic: CH Fighter Stick setup  (Read 4626 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Re: CH Fighter Stick setup
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 03:54:09 AM »
Thank you for your input. I guess I will have to think about it.  I like that you don't need to buy a separate rudder controller with the X-52 it gets expensive buying all three pieces.

I sort of look at it like this.  As much fun as I have with the game, and all the money it has saved me by keeping me from going out and finding other things to spend my money on, I figure its a small investment.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 06:38:28 AM »
I tell my wife the same thing at least once a week  :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 07:06:47 AM »
Thank you for your input. I guess I will have to think about it.  I like that you don't need to buy a separate rudder controller with the X-52 it gets expensive buying all three pieces.

In the long run the CH gear is cheaper. If you have to replace your X52 every couple of years, you will easily pay more for those as once you have CH gear, you most likely won't ever buy another set again. CH last forever, and should you have a problem, parts are readily available.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 07:30:31 AM »
I've had plenty of CH gear and now use an X-52 Pro, which has worked better for longer than any CH stick or throttle ever did for me. You can't assume your experience with a product or company is everyone else's experience.

I do think the X52 Pro throttle could use one or two more 4-way buttons instead of mouse scrolling, clicking or tracking.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 07:48:13 AM »
Rolex do you find the X52 Pro to be as precise and smooth as the CH stick?

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 08:26:28 AM »
My experience with this X-52 Pro has been that I'm now comfortable with the spring tension compared to all the CH sticks I've used. I have 4 CH sticks and they all feel different with all of them too delicate and twitchy compared to the X-52 Pro. The centering spring tension is the main difference, in my opinion.

The X-52 Pro has hall sensors for x & y axes and they seem as precise and smooth as any CH stick. I use pedals, so my z axis is locked and I can't comment on the feeling of the z pot (it is a pot and not a hall sensor).

The suction cups on the X-52 Pro stick and throttle bases are solid and a welcome relief from having to block or tape CH gear. The throttle feeling and response is much more smooth than any of the CH throttles I have. The throttle tension is adjustable. The CH throttle feels cheap. They wobble, spike and can easily get dust or debris in the mechanism, but the X-52 Pro design prevents that.

The 8-way hat on the stick is easier to reach and takes a different motion to hold the view. Once you get used to pushing against the hat with the side if your thumb and not using the tip of your thumb, it is very comfortable. I lost that throbbing pain from the "CH Thumb" in just a few days. The F16 stick that the CH stick is modeled after is on the side of the cockpit at the pilots right knee and at an angle. It is not on a desk and vertical, which is why it feels unnatural and the 8-way hat has too much reach for most people.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »
I agree with Rolex on the positioning of the switches on the X-52.  I will disagree on the smoothness.  I think the X-52 is twitchy and tends to loose calibration. 

I find the CH stick is far easier to controll.  I had a tendency to overcontrol the X-52 which caused a lot of stalling.  I do not have this problem with the CH Stick. 

Yes, I was scaling the stick.

But then again that is my opinion, as with Rolex I know all do not agree with me.   :)

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
I have a X52 that is approximately 18 months old starting to go by the way side.  Looses calibration & throttle spikes & causes an myriad of other issues.  Finally said the *******  :mad:with it and ordered the following CH petals, CH Throttle & CH 586 combat stick.  Hard on plastic. :noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
What seems to be the problem wizer?  Are the axis not showing up in AH control mapper?  I do use Control Manager to configure my stick (no mapping, just the setup for the 3 devices as 1 under windows, and what axis I have enabled).

I am using CH Control Manager and the mini-stick is not showing up.

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »
 the hat switch drove me nuts at first but u will get use to it
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
do what i did if you want it, buy it at best buy 100$ or less, pay the extra money for 2 year waranty
then retrun it for a new one when it messes up ive already gotten 2 sticks out of the deal. and will probably get at least one more.

while doing that you can save money for ch stuff like i am. i already bought my ch rudder pedals and by christmas i might get the stick or the throttle.

when i do get ch stuff ill just hand me down my old stuff to my brother.

the only thing that i really hate about my x52 is that when i used to use the twisty stick to go right rudder my thumb would always slip away from the hat and i would lose veiw ability. i used to zoom in with the veiw hat's forward position instead of using zoom but i changed cause my thumb kept slipping.  ive gotten used to it now though so no bigge

i will say though that since i bought the x52 i have imporved over 100% from using the cheap 20$ walmart saitek stick.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:53:50 AM by goober69 »
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 08:02:52 AM »
congrats bmwgs!

hope your very happy with yours.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 11:35:14 AM »
Thanks to all.  I really got a lot more than I expected.  :salute       

Where did y'all get those blank diagrams?  I would like to have a couple so when I map mine, I can remember where everything is.

Thanks again,

Fred

I took the liberty to copy the pictures and remove the assignments to create a blank template (hope nobody minds).

My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline cjdarts

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 10:49:33 AM »
Hello everyone, I am new to AH (flew a long time ago in Warbids). I just picked up a CH Fightstick and Pro Throttle mainly for FSX but wanted to get back into combat flight sims. I came across this thread with a lot of great information. I have a couple questions.

Do you map the controls using CH's control manager or with AH?

I started mapping within AH and tried to use something similar to Murdr's but didn't see a stick mode toggle just mode select 1, 2, 3, and 4. Is that a control inside AH or on the control manager?

Finally, I am going to pick up a set of pedals in the near future. For those of you who don't have them and have a CH setup, what is the best rudder control?

Looking forward to seeing everyone up and giving you all a nice easy target for a while.  :salute

cjdarts
cjdarts
39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
I started mapping within AH and tried to use something similar to Murdr's but didn't see a stick mode toggle just mode select 1, 2, 3, and 4. Is that a control inside AH or on the control manager?
That is correct, there is no "stick mode toggle", but you can still map a button to function that way.  In my map the "pinky button" under mode 1 is mapped for "mode select 3".  In mode 3 it is mapped for "mode select 1".  With those mappings it acts like a toggle. 

All my game function mapping is done in AH control mapper.