Author Topic: Favorite books?  (Read 887 times)

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Favorite books?
« on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:17 AM »
I usually read WW2 books alot and I think I just read my 2nd favorite Auto-biography I've ever read. It's a very short one, but it gets to the chase. It's called "Abandoned at Leyte" written by a FM-2 wildcat pilot Doy Duncan. He got only one kill, but he got shot down during the battle for Leyte Gulf (Tin-Can Sailors battle-also a good book). Only book that has beaten that was Indestuctable, story of Jack Lucas (who died recently :salute :salute).

What are your Favorite reads?

Mine are so far:

Flags of our Fathers, One Square Mile of Hell (that is a really really good book), Indestructable, Abandoned at Leyte, and Citizen Soldiers (I'm still reading this one, but it's been a good read)

I'm sure most of you have read Flags of our Fathers, anybody read One Square Mile of Hell? If not, read it, it's a great book too, most accurate battle description of Tarawa I've ever read.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Re: Favorite books?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 04:31:37 AM »
'Catch-22' is probably my all time favourite book. Closely followed by Hemmingway's 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' (Spanish Civil War though).
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 04:38:18 AM »
'Catch-22' is probably my all time favourite book. Closely followed by Hemmingway's 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' (Spanish Civil War though).

Wierd thing with Abandoned at Leyte, the book isn't very gripping, but all the stuff this guy saw from the phillipino people/militia is really cool.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »
Winds Of War/War And Rememberence/The Caine Mutiny all tie as my favorite books.  Nothing like well written historical fiction for me.  Right now I'm in the midle of Flying Tigers by Daniel Ford.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 05:14:01 AM »
Winds Of War/War And Rememberence/The Caine Mutiny all tie as my favorite books.  Nothing like well written historical fiction for me.  Right now I'm in the midle of Flying Tigers by Daniel Ford.

Ohh another good read is

Days of Infamy

A great scenario of what could have happened if Admiral Yamamoto had been in charge of the attack on Pearl Harbor. THATS a good WW2 fiction book. THE best fiction book I've ever read IMO.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:04:00 AM »
Ohh another good read is

Days of Infamy

A great scenario of what could have happened if Admiral Yamamoto had been in charge of the attack on Pearl Harbor. THATS a good WW2 fiction book. THE best fiction book I've ever read IMO.

Ermmm, as far as I know Yamamoto was in charge of the Pearl Harbor attack.   :confused:
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 06:10:16 AM »
Ermmm, as far as I know Yamamoto was in charge of the Pearl Harbor attack.   :confused:

Nope IIRC, it was Nagumo who was actually in charge. Yamamoto was in Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:16:08 AM »

He was the main planner, but the fleet attacking Pearl was commanded by Vice Admiral Nagumo.
Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet wasn't present at the attack.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:17:06 AM »
He was the main planner, but the fleet attacking Pearl was commanded by Vice Admiral Nagume.
Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet wasn't present at the attack.

thought so.

But yea, what would've happened if Yamamoto had been in-charge of the fleet at the time. Great read.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 06:20:29 AM »
Ohh another good read is

Days of Infamy

He was in charge of the attack, he just was not the on-scene commander of the attack.  Yamamoto's ultimate resonsibility was the outcome of the attack, not just command of the local forces.  Therefore Yamamoto was in charge of the attack as directed by the Japanese government.  Don't get "in charge" and "in command" confused.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 06:25:22 AM »
He was in charge of the attack, he just was not the on-scene commander of the attack. 

Thats what I mean... Typo :rolleyes:  Just read it >.<

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 06:35:22 AM »
No worries, man.  Was just trying to clear something up.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21:27 AM »
If you want a good book, I recomend The Last Stand of the Tin Can Soldiers.  It's about Taffy 3 and how they did some ballsy things against pretty much the might of the Japanese Fleet.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
THE best fiction book I've ever read IMO.

Read Russ Schnieders Siege: A novel of the Eastern Front 1942

Its Fiction, and a great read.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 08:58:03 AM »
We Band of Angels : documents the stories of a group of nurses held captive on the Philippine islands, and their rescue. 
Terrible Terry Allen pieces of this book are super interesting to read ~ like the treatment of his enlisted men, and the 1921 (or was it 22?) horse race here in Texas.  Does also speak about WWII though.
An Army At Dawn listed as one of my favorites only because it is so cram packed with interesting tid-bits of information.  I don't necessarily regard it as a book I'd run to go read again.
Here is Your War by Ernie Pyle.  Actually, everything by him (not just this book) was amazing.  He had a real gift of putting the reader into his shoes.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:00:25 AM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac