Author Topic: Great FSO  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
Re: Great FSO
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 11:49:48 AM »
35K?!!!.  They can only be 30k
Some sectors had a cap of 40K

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »
Actually we were shaowing them from low 6.  That was the 353rd, Shifty, Jester, BC21 and my old squad.  Hella fight ensued with the ponies at about a 2k alt advtg.  The 49th bagged 2 and damaged a few more, but we lost 11 with BC21 being the only survivor.

:salute 353rd
Thanks Odee,  The only thing that would have been better is having our old squadies back with us.  :salute

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
35K?!!!.  They can only be 30k

Our squad was just doing what were ordered, which was to patrol from 30-40k in 109k-4's. It was actualy writen in a way that made it seem like we would get in trouble if we went below 30k. but whatever Im not complaining I love FSO and fully understand you dont always get to fight the fight you want too. Anytime I am with my squad is good times, even if we are getting owned by others  :aok

FSO always rocks  :rock and we are looking foward to getting some revenge next week!!!  :rock
 :salute
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:37:28 PM by Captfish »
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
To who ever designed this.. I know it sounds like a good idea to dog fight in 262's I thought it sounded fun myself at first. However it was extremely boring because you couldn't do anything but dodge HO's and run. I'd seriously suggest moving the targets about 10 sectors closer and give Axis  190D's & 109K4's and just ditch the 262's. 262's were meant to be defensive fighters shooting down bombers not offensive fighters trying to dog fight prop planes.

I don't think 262s necessarily would need to be ditched if the targets were moved closer. The best approach would be coordinate between the 262s, 190s and 109s. Use the slower fighters to tie up the enemy and pin them down, while the 262s pick them off while they're occupied.

In other words, using the 262 like in the Mains. :rolleyes:
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »
My only comments concern the Ta-152.
Late in the war these aircraft were designed primarily
to contend with high-flying B-17s and the anticipated
arrival of the B-29 to the European theater.

They were never envisioned as air superiority
fighters.  They were designed to confront bombers.

Using them in such an ill-suited role proved
suicide in this FSO.  I would have preferred
flying a 190 - any 190 - rather then the Kurt
Tank pseudo-190.

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »
When I saw the plane set I knew that it wouldn't be much fun flying for Axis in 262's, it's not really built for dog fights, it's best role is in taking out bombers, but the Allies had no bombers to be shot down, thats why our squad decided Allies would be were the most fun would be. 

I think alot of people just saw jets and wanted to fly them because they are so rarely used in FSO's, but really didn't think it through on how hard it would be to be dog fighting Allied planes in 262's.  I think it would be alot more fun for Axis players if they had some Allied bombers to go after, just my 2 cents.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 01:47:14 PM »
My only comments concern the Ta-152.
Late in the war these aircraft were designed primarily
to contend with high-flying B-17s and the anticipated
arrival of the B-29 to the European theater.

They were never envisioned as air superiority
fighters.  They were designed to confront bombers.

Using them in such an ill-suited role proved
suicide in this FSO.  I would have preferred
flying a 190 - any 190 - rather then the Kurt
Tank pseudo-190.

The Ta152 takes a while to get used to, but it is by far the best 190 in any role beside JaBo.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 01:53:53 PM »
I don't think 262s necessarily would need to be ditched if the targets were moved closer. The best approach would be coordinate between the 262s, 190s and 109s. Use the slower fighters to tie up the enemy and pin them down, while the 262s pick them off while they're occupied.

In other words, using the 262 like in the Mains. :rolleyes:

Yes I can agree with that.. In short a 262 is a pick fighter. It doesn't stand a chance in a straight up dog fight because your dead if you get it slow. The 262's need a distraction in order to work their magic or be sent to shoot down buffs.

The problem was 9 of us were sent 10 or 12 sectors away alone as a fighter sweep to fight 20 to 25 cons that all want to HO every pass. In short it wasn't fun and wasn't fighting, but rather a whole lot of having to dodge HO's and run from hoardes of cons. as I posted above despite there being 20 to 25 cons I never fired a round the whole night, because you just couldn't fight it was nothing more than dodging and running.

I can't blame them for the HO's because it was pretty much their only chance to shoot down the 262's unless one got slow. It was just a very bad mismatch IMHO. I'd have rather been in a K4 in the same situation, I would have been gang banged to hell but at least it wouldn't have been so boring.  :lol
"strafing"

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 02:03:25 PM »
The biggest problem that I think people have with FSO with new planes is the lack of high altitude experience in them.  Before the event our squad spent a good hour flying from A3 in the TA.  That base starts out at 30,000 feet and provides an excellent training spot for high altitude fights.  We use it regularly and rarely see anyone else there.  The flight characteristics of all aircraft are completely different at 20k+ then near ground.  I think people are caught off guard when in the FSO and make those first few turns only to stall out.  It's not the time to learn the plane's limits.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »

Our squad was just doing what were ordered which was t0 that was to patrol from 30-40k in 109k-4's. It was actualy writen in a way that made it seem like we would get in trouble if we went below 30k. but whatever Im not complaining I love FSO and fully understand you dont always get to fight the fight you want too. Anytime I am with my squad is good times, even if we are getting owned by others  :aok

FSO always rocks  :rock and we are looking foward to getting some revenge next week!!!  :rock

Sorry, didnt know that.  How was the weather up there?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
To who ever designed this.. I know it sounds like a good idea to dog fight in 262's I thought it sounded fun myself at first. However it was extremely boring because you couldn't do anything but dodge HO's and run. I'd seriously suggest moving the targets about 10 sectors closer and give Axis  190D's & 109K4's and just ditch the 262's. 262's were meant to be defensive fighters shooting down bombers not offensive fighters trying to dog fight prop planes.

Hardly the designers fault. Maybe ask your FSO CO not to request the Deuce. Muppets are killas, CiC gave you what you requested because he most likely felt you were the best squad for it.

Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
Hardly the designers fault. Maybe ask your FSO CO not to request the Deuce. Muppets are killas, CiC gave you what you requested because he most likely felt you were the best squad for it.

Yes, I know we requested the planes because it sounded like a good idea at the time.  When we did our squad vote, for what plane to request I was one that requested a 262 because I assumed we would be used in a support fashion not as a suicide fighter sweep. I for one would have never expected we would be sent 12 sectors away alone as a fighter sweep against 20+ cons.
"strafing"

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
Sorry, didnt know that.  How was the weather up there?
No Prob. It was raining lead!
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 03:11:57 PM »
 we were in ponys @ 20k and got jumped hard by the k4's near the flack factory was great  we probable shoulda had more alt but great event as always  :salute
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »
Vf-6 doesn't want to talk about it........We got destroyed from above. those 109's were sketchy at 35K!!!

:salute 367th

:salute Vf-6
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends