Author Topic: Great FSO  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Ponyace

• Copper Member
Re: Great FSO
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »
Alright, alright, you win Saxman. Besides, we're getting a little off topic. This thread is about how the FSO was, not how it will be. Either way, the second frame should be better than the first for both sides as the Cics will have feedback that they didnt have for the first one and (hopefully) will learn from it.
Gatore
Formerly "Ponyace"

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2008, 11:33:44 PM »
Numbers:

Shift some of the Allied squadrons to Axis. As stated above: If the Axis had a numerical disadvantage in Kanalkampf and this setup is meant to reflect an alternate scenario where the Allies faced this same situation, then the Axis should have the numerical advantage this time.

Given the breakdown of squads, and their historical numbers each frame, the Axis should be able to field in excess of 350 aircraft per frame, versus 275 for the Allies.  That's predicated on 275 Allied pilots and 225 Axis pilots.  For frame 1, there were 247 Axis pilots and 263 Allied pilots, with a total of 375 Axis aircraft being used and 290 Allied aircraft being used.  These numbers aren't vetted for all the takeoff re-ups, discos, and crashes--I'll have that data after I finish the scoring.  But, clearly the Axis had an advantage in numbers of aircraft.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »
This is pretty much what I predicted...Allies in a walk.

Given that the score hasn't even been posted yet, I'd say this statement is premature...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
Given that the score hasn't even been posted yet, I'd say this statement is premature...

No question that the arados got thru and some did very well. My comments were directed at the functional result, not the score per se. The 262 units were relatively inneffective and suffered high losses. A number of the other german units literally ceased to exist. So from my perspective the thought that the 262's would be effective and/or tip the overall balance toward the axis to create a turkey shoot was wrong.

From some of the allied pilots comments it sounds like the allied command and control didnt do a good job of getting units into play (then again to use football terminology you need to stay in your lane vs the arado's) otherwise german losses would be even higher. In a real war scenario the germans would have suffered unsustainable losses with entire fighter groups wiped out and 262 losses beyond sustainable operations tempo...at least thats my conclusion from looking at the logs.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »
Given the breakdown of squads, and their historical numbers each frame, the Axis should be able to field in excess of 350 aircraft per frame, versus 275 for the Allies.  That's predicated on 275 Allied pilots and 225 Axis pilots.  For frame 1, there were 247 Axis pilots and 263 Allied pilots, with a total of 375 Axis aircraft being used and 290 Allied aircraft being used.  These numbers aren't vetted for all the takeoff re-ups, discos, and crashes--I'll have that data after I finish the scoring.  But, clearly the Axis had an advantage in numbers of aircraft.

You sure the diffrence in aircraft numbers wasn't from the bomber formations? Don't forget those add up to three planes per pilot so that's not really the same. I know any of the scenerios I've flown in where Allies had buff formations, they greatly outnumbered the Axis in plane numbers. In this FSO Allies still had more pilots than Axis by about 20.
"strafing"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »
That was my point about Kanalkampf. The Allies not only had the advantage in overall numbers of aircraft, but also in total number of PILOTS.

Kanalkampf numbers, Allies vs Axis:

Frame 1: 292 vs 237
Frame 2: 292 vs 216
Frame 3: 256 vs 207

Personally, I DO think that attackers that are rolling buff formations SHOULD have fewer pilots since a big chunk of theirs have multiple aircraft to keep things even, but if the scenario of Kanalkampf called for Allies to have more pilots, this campaign is a reversal of the situation so why not give the Axis more pilots?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2008, 12:38:05 PM »
this campaign is a reversal of the situation so why not give the Axis more pilots?

This campaign is not a reversal of Kanalkampf.  It is set up using a fictional, but plausible, background story.  The numbers exist for balance purposes, and nothing more.

HiTech

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »
The 262 units were relatively inneffective and suffered high losses.

Could that be attributed to the fact that perhaps many of the pilots never fly a 262 before this night?  I know I never did (although I landed successfully at the end of the mission).  How many crashed on their own and how many actually got shot down?  I haven't scanned the logs to find out, but would be curious. 
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »
Could that be attributed to the fact that perhaps many of the pilots never fly a 262 before this night?  I know I never did (although I landed successfully at the end of the mission).  How many crashed on their own and how many actually got shot down?  I haven't scanned the logs to find out, but would be curious. 

AoM (Army of Muppets) is a very seasoned bunch top to bottom, also a very aggresive bunch of guys. They'll certainly take advantage of any break they get, but if it works out against them they'll follow Pickett up Cemetary Ridge also. So while some may be due to inexperience etc, AoM is as close to a squad of "expertain" as you'll find. They suffered 88% attrition (8 out of 9). We (USMC/71SQ) lost all but 1 of our 109K's. Historically we often rank near the top performance wise in FSO as well. For both of those seasoned squads to suffer such catostophic losses is very rare. If this was a scenario where you carried your losses over 2 very seasoned squads would be non exisistant for the balance.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »
It makes absolutely no sense... with reduced icon range, the 262s should be cleaning house.

The Axis best bet is to leave them in groups of 3s and attach them to regular prop a/c squadrons, a pack of 262s is nice but not terribly effective.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »
As a player in a seasoned FSO squad, yeah, we've had our butts handed to us many times. We shrug it off and train to avoid further repeats of that performance. Sometimes you're windshield, sometimes you're the bug. For the vets of this event, it's what causes our love/hate relationship with our beloved FSO.

As an FSO CM, I am thrilled to see this debate and discussion. With our event growing to the point it has, there are many new players and squads. They are getting to experience how crucial the CiC role is and how much dependence is on a strong commander. Remember, the team is only as strong as it's leader and his/her plan. I am not degrading this specific event's CiC's. Just using them as an example.

Planning is crucial. I think the Admin's do a great job in designing these events to ensure that the maximum number of players have fun but part of the overall scope of the event is the player interaction and command. Like I said, sometimes you're the wind......

Looking forward to frame two!

:salute
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:42 PM »

I don't think that was much of a factor IMHO. I fly 262's quite often and I never had a chance in the FSO to even fire my guns because of the sheer amount of cons and their altitude. I'm also quit certain many of the guys in 262 had plenty of experience in them. The problem is they were just not suited to that fight and being way out numbered just made it nothing but dodging HO's and running like a girl.

You couldn't dare slow down to try to get a shot of a turning con because 10 others would jump you. The 262's aren't much good over 15k, so their prime fighting alts are around 15k to 8k meanwhile all the Typhs and Pony's were 20k+. So in short it was just a fight the 262's couldn't do anything with and was very under matched on top of being outnumbered over 2 to 1.

I think adding a alt cap of 15k before contact would go a long way toward helping even out the plane sets.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:49:01 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
As a player in a seasoned FSO squad, yeah, we've had our butts handed to us many times. We shrug it off and train to avoid further repeats of that performance. Sometimes you're windshield, sometimes you're the bug. For the vets of this event, it's what causes our love/hate relationship with our beloved FSO.

As an FSO CM, I am thrilled to see this debate and discussion. With our event growing to the point it has, there are many new players and squads. They are getting to experience how crucial the CiC role is and how much dependence is on a strong commander. Remember, the team is only as strong as it's leader and his/her plan. I am not degrading this specific event's CiC's. Just using them as an example.

Planning is crucial. I think the Admin's do a great job in designing these events to ensure that the maximum number of players have fun but part of the overall scope of the event is the player interaction and command. Like I said, sometimes you're the wind......

Looking forward to frame two!

:salute

I pretty much agree with you. You can't expect to win them all and not every FSO is going to be a blast but it sure sucks when they arent..  :furious   My only hope is we can take what was learned from this frame and use it to make the next two frames a bit more fun for all.
"strafing"

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
It makes absolutely no sense... with reduced icon range, the 262s should be cleaning house.

The Axis best bet is to leave them in groups of 3s and attach them to regular prop a/c squadrons, a pack of 262s is nice but not terribly effective.

If the fight was at lower alts and/or the allied planes were otherwise engaged yes. But a 262 vs higher (and probably more numerous) cons at alts above 25K is totally defensive.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »
:O  Git out!  Me too   :rofl

:noid

My deepest condolences.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.