Author Topic: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Re: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »
Elfie 20ms at 300 mph =~ 10 feet.

I usually run 40ms to the AH servers, if someone else is also running 40ms that makes it 80ms delay total so that would only be 40 feet difference?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »
I have suggested to HiTech that we hold up everyone's frame rate until the server could confirm that everyone was seeing the same thing.  He seemed reluctant to give it a try, arguing that it may take seconds for confirmation and 1 frame per 3 seconds was ridiculous. 

But then I pointed out that there wouldn't be anymore collision threads . . .

:t

:rofl
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
Elfie 20ms at 300 mph =~ 10 feet.

So going by that, if both players have a great connection with a ping of 20ms, what your seeing is 20 feet different of what the other guys sees (20ms from you to server, + 20 ms from server to the other guy)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »
So going by that, if both players have a great connection with a ping of 20ms, what your seeing is 20 feet different of what the other guys sees
(20ms from you to server, + 20 ms from server to the other guy)

Ping measures round trip time

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
What I wonder is when packets get lost, lets say from those 4 updates per seconds one get dropped (warp), is that taken into account, or I still collide no matter what?

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #200 on: July 21, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »
Then I never hit them...  it takes two objects to have a collision. repeat: it takes two objects to have a collision.

Then....

Ok, after keeping tabs on this thread I will take a stab at it.

In a One on One fight, there are FOUR planes.

The two that you see and the two that you opponent sees.

There are TWO planes on each screen.  So there are TWO objects colliding on your screen when you take damage in a ram.

Seems pretty cut and dry ;)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: July 21, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »
Then....

There are TWO planes on each screen.  So there are TWO objects colliding on your screen when you take damage in a ram.

Seems pretty cut and dry ;)

If there's two objects colliding, two objects should take damage.  Seems pretty cut and dried.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »
If there's two objects colliding, two objects should take damage.  Seems pretty cut and dried.

I've read the entire thread, I understand the frustration Steve.

Logically, I don't disagree with you entirely.

However, it's very clear to me that the current system is actually MORE fair when latency/lag/whatever is considered.  It is also quite clear that the current system is more likely to discourage the kind of kamikaze griefing that many posters have already pointed out.

We saw a page or so ago that Hitech IS actually reading this thread, I applaud that.  But, it's clear that so far, your idea hasn't inspired him to change his system.  This tells me that either he finds your idea "lacking" in some important way, or he really doesn't care what you or anyone else thinks.  A concept that I reject, his participation in this thread seems to be evidence to the contrary.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline olskool2

• Zinc Member
      • Total Nonsense
« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »
I don't think I've ever been collided with, taking damage or not, and not see both planes hit. But, by the explanations above, on any ram I don't take damage on I should not see me make contact. From my personal experience, this doesn't seem to be the way it happens.  :huh

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2008, 04:07:04 AM »

Because of the latency inherent in the internet, that isn't possible at this point in time. I understand wanting both objects to take damage, I want that as well. Fact is, the internet is going to have to increase it's speed before that can happen.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2008, 04:24:20 AM »
And yet on your opponents screen he was no where near you. Oooops I forgot it's all about you. :aok

Edit: Hey for that mater fly into a tool shed and tell me if that takes damage.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:27:56 AM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2008, 04:31:47 AM »
How is this possible, and then fly off without damage?

Is it because my uber spixteen is just so uber it can fly through a disintigrating bomber and come out unscathed? :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:34:50 AM by saantana »
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2008, 04:44:44 AM »
How is this possible, and then fly off without damage?

I'm not in this thread anymore, but If i was I would tell you:

I can see on this picture that you don't collide with the bomber itself, but with a shot off wing. Those things are (like the small debris) eyecandy only and do never damage you.

You can only collide with the part that still has the icon (pilot) attached to it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:46:22 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2008, 04:51:20 AM »

I can see on this picture that you don't collide with the bomber itself, but with a shot off wing. Those things are (like the small debris) eyecandy only and do never damage you.

You can only collide with the part that still has the icon (pilot) attached to it.

Rgr that Lusche aka Snailman, that pretty much explains all my collision questions  :D lol
You can replace the online AH2 wiki. Im being serious!  :salute
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »

Ya, this looks like a debris hit... you get that odd clang sound byte but take no damage. :)

Edit: sometimes that sound catches me off guard and makes me jump in my seat a little.. dunno why, lol.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:46:06 AM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve