Author Topic: This always puzzles me  (Read 1319 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: This always puzzles me
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »
Similar are the guys who feel the need to gang up on EW planes in LW.  It's challenging enough to fly those EW rides in the LWA's without having to be ganged.  Happened to me several times yesterday in an Emil.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 02:47:40 PM »
Similar are the guys who feel the need to gang up on EW planes in LW.  It's challenging enough to fly those EW rides in the LWA's without having to be ganged.  Happened to me several times yesterday in an Emil.

Well, two factors can cause this...

1) In a complex engagement people tend to want to simplify matters by 'removing' what they perceive as the easier targets first. Apart from the EW rides, 110s, Mossies and 38s also receive this prejudicial attention because they are big and easier to hit at poor deflection or while compressed.

2) We have a large plane-set and those that choose to compete in the LW arena with EW rides are quite conspicuous. Compound that with the fact many EW bird jockeys are "known" players. When you are conspicuous and are also a "known" player of some skill the goblin horde is going to want to feast on your bones, plain and simple. You can't really blame them, it's just human nature to clamor for the pelt of someone who has talent even if it means a poor quality kill...

So, rather than be bitter about it, treat each gang-banging as a badge of honor, an unabashed admission by the perpetrators that they are collectively inferior in every conceivable way. If you need advice on how to do this, just ask Shane, he has it down to a fine art.... :rofl
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:59:19 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »
Well, two factors can cause this...

1) In a complex engagement people tend to want to simplify matters by 'removing' what they perceive as the easier targets first. Apart from the EW rides, 110s, Mossies and 38s also receive this prejudicial attention because they are big and easier to hit at poor deflection or while compressed.

Yea I found myself in that position yesterday. I was in a K4 and had a co alt K4 that I knew had more E than me and a low LA7 under me. I knew the guy in the K4 was a good shot cause he caught me off guard the sortie before. I also knew if I engaged the K4 I'd also be dealing with the LA7 sooner than I wanted.

I knew I could kill the LA7, so I dropped and killed him but also put my self at a even worse disadvantage to the K4 which eventually killed me. Some times you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. 9 times out of 10 I would have tried to engage the higher con first and deal with the second later but it was one of those times I knew I could kill one and get him out of the way.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:32:17 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 04:23:47 PM »
In a complex engagement people tend to want to simplify matters by 'removing' what they perceive as the easier targets first. Apart from the EW rides, 110s, Mossies and 38s also receive this prejudicial attention because they are big and easier to hit at poor deflection or while compressed.

Hmmm... I've always gone about it the opposite way; taking out the biggest threat first, then working my way down the food chain.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
The P-40 gets the worst treatment in the game. Even more than the La, or Pony! Whenever anyone sees a P-40 in the skies they think "easy kill" rather than thinking if this guy takes a P-40 rather than a P-51 or a Spitfire, he must be good. Though sometimes they are complete noobs  :) . If a P-40 enters a furball, every enemy leaves whatever target they are on to go kill the P-40! The same goes for Bombers in a furball too!  :lol

I've never had a problem dispatching Pee40's while flying in the Virtual Ki-61.   Wait, this would "constitute" as bragging and only a select few are on that list.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »
Hmmm... I've always gone about it the opposite way; taking out the biggest threat first, then working my way down the food chain.

I agree that is often the most reasonable approach especially if your team has a local numerical advantage. But, as in strafing's example, improving the odds as quickly as possible is often more important and expedient than the more time consuming enterprise of working the enemy with the highest E state, skill or best plane. This is especially true if your team is at a numerical disadvantage in that general area as you can expect the odds to progressively worsen the more protracted the fight becomes..
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:43:00 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »

I just tell em where my 38G is.  It saves time :)

I tend to figure if I see an FM2, P40, any 109 besides a K4 etc that the guy might know what he's doing so I watch them closer.  I certainly don't take for granted that someone in a P40 in LW is a noob, in fact I figure it's FiltH :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »
I agree that is often the most reasonable approach especially if your team has a local numerical advantage. But, as in strafing's example, improving the odds as quickly as possible is often more important and expedient than the more time consuming enterprise of working the enemy with the highest E state, skill or best plane. This is especially true if your team is at a numerical disadvantage in that general area as you can expect the odds to progressively worsen the more protracted the fight becomes..

Your obviously a genius and I need to avoid you in combat.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »
Your obviously a genius and I need to avoid you in combat.

The funny thing is I'm actually an idiot, I just read alot...;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:29:22 PM by Zazen13 »

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »
The funny thing is I'm actually an idiot, I just read alot...;)

heh, but you got this right...   :rock

So, rather than be bitter about it, treat each gang-banging as a badge of honor, an unabashed admission by the perpetrators that they are collectively inferior in every conceivable way. If you need advice on how to do this, just ask Shane, he has it down to a fine art.... :rofl

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
Got spanked by Shane a couple of times in his f4u - waited till he was disengaged from the previous combatant - really really thought I'd get him....but he keeps that damn plane just out of guns on - very nice flying by him, and I really enjoyed it - even tho I died both times

Personally I like flying earlier planes - tho must admit I keep going back into the spits as well (just gotta love the VIII).

I try to work out which plane is the biggest threat - but mostly just engage the nearest con to me thats not engaged. If they are being engaged by multiple friendlies, I'll start grabbing alt for the next wave.

FM2 rocks, seriously - off a cv, my bird of choice.

<S>

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 05:56:26 PM »
Baah..
Now I understand why my uber spixteen is always picked first when I fly with my Rook Hordes of Death.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"