Author Topic: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)  (Read 8611 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
There's very little emphasis on good flying or understanding of physics required to swan dive on a freshly spawned, ground-bound aircraft...You're either doing it for score, the text buffer candy "puff piece", the "Pulling the wings off flies" factor, or the visceral enjoyment of explosive graphical cartoon eye candy you've seen 10 billion times before...I know you aren't in it for the real-estate..

Again, why do you care if people do that? Who says this style of gameplay is less fun than another and that you have the right to declare it somehow worth less perks/points?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
Im feeling less lonely

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »
Again, why do you care if people do that? Who says this style of gameplay is less fun than another and that you have the right to declare it somehow worth less perks/points?

Steve, please read the whole thread. One more time, just for you...

Because, instead of fighting for fields, like we used to do when we had the small maps and a higher proportion of air combat purists, huge milk-hordes roam the vacant expanses of the HUGE maps with an obscenely overwhelming force vulching the few reactionary defenders resigned to the futility of their actions. Giving defenders a tiny chance of success against this tactic will encourage more fights, better gameplay and maybe make HUGE maps somewhat playable even with split LW arenas.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:44:14 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2008, 01:36:11 PM »
Why do we need a deterrent?

How are these vulchers and tool shedders ruining the game?  Sure it sucks when a toolshedder comes along and kills all the hangars.  OTOH, all those toolshedders provide targets for others and motivation for people to defend.

Toolshedders arent the problem they are doing their own thing and aren't related to this issue other than someone brought up the fact they think it would cause the FH's to get bombed.

Steve now granted you aren't the average P51 dweeb  :D, but you fly a very limited part of this game by just flying that plane. I'm totally impressed with the amount of kills you land and the fact that I'm pretty certain you do it all in the air. However I've also never seen you up at a base under heavy attack and fight right off the deck. In short I'm very certain you don't deal with the results of these vulch tards on the defensive side of things because you arent upping at bases under attack to defend them.

Granted I really don't really care about the bases anymore than you do, I'm just there for the fight. However our playing styles are two totally diffrent aspects of this game so we will see two totally diffrent sides of this game. Something you may not think is a problem is a very big problem to me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:38:43 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
I don't see how blowing up a plane (or better yet a bundle of em in one shot) on the ground and having a field going up in flames and explosions at 100bpm is any less childish than getting your rocks off "pulling the wings off" some fighter after a 5-10min 1:1.

I do agree that score would be better off not counting kills on planes just off the spawn. There needs to be the right parameters of time and distance from the spawn, though..  But I don't see how that'll do anything to reduce the pleasure of trashing a field.  People will still vulch.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »

I do agree that score would be better off not counting kills on planes just off the spawn. There needs to be the right parameters of time and distance from the spawn, though..  But I don't see how that'll do anything to reduce the pleasure of trashing a field.  People will still vulch.

I think you've got it. We're not tying to eliminate vulching. We're just trying to eliminate the most common motivation for vulching...Score/Rank. In doing so you increase the likelihood realistic reactionary defense is afforded, at least a minimal chance, to engage the attackers in the air before they can affect the capture of a previously vacant field. If you can't just intuitively see how that would make actual fighting more frequent and protracted I don't know what to tell you.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:51:24 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
People will still vulch.  The only players I see being guaranteed to change their ways are score potatos.  I can't imagine some kid or anyone playing this game for fun passing up on lots of cheesy kills because it will change a few digits on a spreadsheet somewhere in cyberspace.  I think the local ENY idea would be more effective at affecting the quality of fights.
Can't hurt to try though.  I do wonder why other ideas like this one never happened though, like invalidation of damage if the pilot didn't survive over a certain amount of time after the strike on target.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
Wow. This thread is still going.

1-If I bravely dive onto an upping con through the ack risking my own life - I want to be rewarded for the kill. After all - it takes some serious stick stirring l33t skillz to not get shot down by that pesky field ack.  :D
2-Even if half of my kills are vulches (coincedentally, my attack rank for tour 101 which is the last one I flew is higher than my fighter rank. Does that tell you something? I flew fighter mode purely by mistake when I upped aircraft I don't usually fly), why do you care?  :rolleyes:
Personally I am not at all interested how someone scored his kills.

It sounds to me like the supporters of this idea are score potatoes themselves. Just of a different breed. Sounds to me like they are good at 1:1 engagements, and want that underlined further by introducing the changes they have described, at the same time shunning those who prefer the other style of gameplay. Why do they care if I'm rewarded for the vulch, if the other guy died anyway? If I'm not going to get rewarded, I'm still going to do it. OR, I will play with a stop clock with in my left hand and everytime someone spawns, start it and wait the 30 seconds until I kill him. I will do that just to show how useless this new feature is. You are still going to die, and if I want, I will get my kill for it.

But again, why do you care? If you prefer 1:1 , come in co e from a different field and show me how its done. After all, I waited those couple of minutes to get to my E state, and took my time to fly over to your field. Why shouldn't you?
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »
People will still vulch.  The only players I see being guaranteed to change their ways are score potatos.  I can't imagine some kid or anyone playing this game for fun passing up on lots of cheesy kills because it will change a few digits on a spreadsheet somewhere in cyberspace.  I think the local ENY idea would be more effective at affecting the quality of fights.
Can't hurt to try though.  I do wonder why other ideas like this one never happened though, like invalidation of damage if the pilot didn't survive over a certain amount of time after the strike on target.

Right, vulching will still happen. If vulching didn't still happen the landgrabbers may be denied their equally inalienable right to capture fields that are atypically geographically proximate to their respective towns. They have a right to do that just as the defenders have a right to a reasonable chance to mount a reactionary defense to counter them.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:32 PM »
Steve, please read the whole thread. One more time, just for you...

Because, instead of fighting for fields, like we used to do when we had the small maps and a higher proportion of air combat purists, huge milk-hordes roam the vacant expanses of the HUGE maps with an obscenely overwhelming force vulching the few reactionary defenders resigned to the futility of their actions. Giving defenders a tiny chance of success against this tactic will encourage more fights, better gameplay and maybe make HUGE maps somewhat playable even with split LW arenas.

How do you know what it will encourage? Did you get the last crystal ball? Most land grabbers don't care one way or another about vulching, whether they get points for the kills or not. So how would this discourage vulching? And again, why do you care if someone vulches? There's no shortage of fights on the maps now.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2008, 03:18:26 PM »
Right, vulching will still happen. If vulching didn't still happen the landgrabbers may be denied their equally inalienable right to capture fields that are atypically geographically proximate to their respective towns. They have a right to do that just as the defenders have a right to a reasonable chance to mount a reactionary defense to counter them.

Why not just have them spawn at 5k? Why stop at silliness when you can go straight to rediculous?>

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2008, 03:24:11 PM »
However I've also never seen you up at a base under heavy attack and fight right off the deck. In short I'm very certain you don't deal with the results of these vulch tards on the defensive side of things because you arent upping at bases under attack to defend them.

You're quite right.  I don't up a capped base. I do defend though, often. I up from the next base over and rain vulch vengeance upon their hordeling heads, with much glee.   :devil 

Sometimes, I'll go to the hordeling hive and swat them out of the sky as they leave their nest. You should hear their lamentations!

If the toolshedders were trying to take a base and you upped there, under the new rules, would you still get vulched?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:36:06 PM by Steve »

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »
This is simply not true.

Proxi gives you zero perks, thats right, but one single point for scores (which is almost as good as nothing, my kills give me about 200pts average per kill).
And they are counted in all other categories and thus counted towards rank.
NOT counted towards rank are things like kills on GV's when in fighter mode, or the whole field gunner stuff.
Maybe field gun kills (and deaths) SHOULD count... now the only benefit (besides defending your base/CV from attack) is that you make another players K/D etc. suffer from the effect of being killed by a manned gun.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
Maybe field gun kills (and deaths) SHOULD count... now the only benefit (besides defending your base/CV from attack) is that you make another players K/D etc. suffer from the effect of being killed by a manned gun.

Being killed by a manned gun whilst being in Fighter mode, Attack mode or anything other mode does count as a death in that mode.

EDIT: Steve, you can put multiple quotes into a single response.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2008, 04:26:02 PM »
This is just a idea I've thought of some time back. I'm not much of a score tard, meaning I don't care where I rank but I do like to check my stats. It would have be nice to see who the "real" aces of AH are in regards to "real fighting".  The only way IMO to get a better idea by score of who the best pilots or GVer's are, is if vulch tards and spawn campers were taken out of the equation.

I think there is a very simple solution to do this as I posted in another unrelated topic. We already have proxie kills that don't add to your stats in this game. Why not have kills made before 30 seconds of that con spawning also not count towards your score?

Meaning if you are shooting a guy on the runway, it's not going to help your score same as sitting on a VH and spawn camping. 30 seconds is enough time for a plane to at least have a chance to get in the air and it's enough time for a GV to at least start moving and try to find the target.

Granted it's not a perfect solution, but I do believe it would weed out "most" of the vulching and spawn camping from the stats. Of course it's not going to stop people from vulching or spawn camping but at least they wouldn't receive perks or points for doing it. Using a 30 scoring rule might also influence the score tards into actually fighting rather than depending on easy no skill kills.

On the flip side the guys getting vulched or spawn camped wouldn't have deaths counted against them piror to 30 seconds which would give a little more incentive to up at a capped base or spawn. In short it would reward people for fighting rather than vulching air bases and spawn camping.

Just a thought I figured I'd toss out there, in hopes of giving a incentive to actually fight.

I like the idea, vulching DOES have it's place in the game, but that wouldn't get rid of it.
You'd be able to gloat your kills by landing, and you'd still be able to supress them while your gooner gets in, it isn't 'Spawn Protection' (anyone who plays CoD know what I'm talkin bout  ;) ) but rather gets the tards who worry so much about rank to actually EARN it.

Nothing in life is free, why make somethin in the virtual life free?...well, even though we pay to access the virtual life...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*