Author Topic: GPS in cars.  (Read 824 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: GPS in cars.
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »
I notice it seems the only people talking crap about GPS units are the OLD guys here who do not have one.

It's ok guys it's not a threat to your manhood.

No worries. Us "old guys" know nothing is a threat to our manhood. We've long since learned how to do manly things
Its your manhood we are worried about.

We see the generation using the technology crutch and recognize the sissification of men in the younger generations taking place.

But thats ok. We this s nothing new. We are more sissified then those who went before us.
Men Real men who explored an entire contenent without maps or directions and managed to return without getting lost.
Before them. The entire oceans of the world. With nothing but the stars to guide them.

As we've become more technologically advanced. We've also become more sissified.
and it spills over into other aspects of our lives.
Now we have men using GPS's, shaving their bodies like women and even wearing  makeup like women http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18062886/

It dismays us "older guys" because we see the younger guys growing up to be less "manly" and more womanly.  ;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
It's ok guys it's not a threat to your manhood.

no, just the  :lol manly :lol  skills of navigation and the spirit of adventure.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »
No worries. Us "old guys" know nothing is a threat to our manhood. We've long since learned how to do manly things
Its your manhood we are worried about.

We see the generation using the technology crutch and recognize the sissification of men in the younger generations taking place.

But thats ok. We this s nothing new. We are more sissified then those who went before us.
Men Real men who explored an entire contenent without maps or directions and managed to return without getting lost.
Before them. The entire oceans of the world. With nothing but the stars to guide them.

As we've become more technologically advanced. We've also become more sissified.
and it spills over into other aspects of our lives.
Now we have men using GPS's, shaving their bodies like women and even wearing  makeup like women http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18062886/

It dismays us "older guys" because we see the younger guys growing up to be less "manly" and more womanly.  ;)

Aww Dred I struck a nerve, sorry about that.

And if implying I may be a sissy who saves his body makes you feel better about your aging manhood well so be it.  I will just go about my business with my GPS, and get toejam done. You know for your manhood problem, they have several pills, talk to your DR. They will not of course fix your silly disdain for great technology.

:D

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »

And if implying I may be a sissy who saves his body makes you feel better about your aging manhood well so be it.  I will just go about my business with my GPS, and get poop done. You know for your manhood problem, they have several pills, talk to your DR. They will not of course fix your silly disdain for great technology.

:rofl

I can't wait to meet you in November.   Gonna be a "blast".    :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

And if implying I may be a sissy who saves his body makes you feel better about your aging manhood well so be it.  I will just go about my business with my GPS, and get poop done. You know for your manhood problem, they have several pills, talk to your DR. They will not of course fix your silly disdain for great technology.

LMAO no nerves struck here
just pointing out the obvious. What you need technology for. I can do just as well without.

I have no problem with my aging either. At 47 (ok I'll be 47 next month)
Im in FAR better shape then most 47 year olds I know.
 I know kids half my age that have a hard time keeping up with me
And my manhood still works just fine (so long as you have that. what else is there?)

::edit::
Changed from the word I wanted to use (another word for a birds beak) to Manhood.
Sorry I WONT let it be changed to "Dohnut" LMAO
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:32:23 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 07:51:50 PM »
All talk of manhood aside,  I've used GPS and I can see both sides of this issue.  The ultimate GPS unit would be a laptop with a broadband wireless connection running Google Earth synced up to a GPS dongle.  I don't know  how hard it would be to do but I'm pretty sure all pieces are available...

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
. What you need technology for. I can do just as well without.

Stay away from a computer then. ;) And use a horse for transportation...  :devil

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »
The 3 features I like to use a GPS for.
Accurate trip recording, ETA and handsfree for the phone.
When I'm driving it's rarely off the virtual dashboard and the voice is OFF.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 12:17:29 AM »

but here's the really really big question. when you've gotten soooo accustomed to your gps telling you everything, whatcha gonna do when it doesn't work? you gonna stay in your house because you can't find your way to work anymore?

technology is good if it's used to supplement things, but not to replace basic map reading skills.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:16 AM »
All talk of manhood aside,  I've used GPS and I can see both sides of this issue.  The ultimate GPS unit would be a laptop with a broadband wireless connection running Google Earth synced up to a GPS dongle.  I don't know  how hard it would be to do but I'm pretty sure all pieces are available...

DELORME

great system. the maps that they use on the laptop, are the same as in their road atlases.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 03:27:48 AM »
There is no GPS service here in Alaska   :lol
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 08:35:49 AM »
you serious?

there's 24 gps sattalites in orbit. there should be.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
     I got a cheapo magellan that works great.  I'm with Russian on this one.
One of the things I like best about it is that it gives verbal instructions including
street names.  I don't find it distracting at all..if I do somehow miss a turn, it
recalculates on the fly.

Admittedly I don't use it much up here in NJ, but when I defect to Charlotte
in november, it's going to be worth it's weight in gold.  Another thing I like about
it is that I never have to carry another map again...less clutter in the car is good
for me...I'm a slob  :aok
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:39 AM »
I used to work for Princess Cruises , the TV, phone services onboard were down many times cruising through Alaska inside passage, Yakutat  bay and at the dock in Skagway ,those high mountain range next to the ship are blocking the satellite signal. But same goes for GPS, satellite radio and qualcom , i'm losing signal many times on flat land under bridges, gas station roof,behind high buildings.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »
I've recently acquired one, mainly for my wife moving to a large city (220k) for a girl from a town of less than 500.  It's been invaluable to her and has made the move A LOT easier.  I just used it this weekend to go to the EAA and up to Green Bay (both cities I'm fairly unfamiliar with).  Worked great on finding my favorite pizza place I haven't been to in years.

It beats printing out Google maps any day.  They do have their drawbacks, and I still carry a paper map as a backup.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either