Author Topic: GPS in cars.  (Read 825 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
GPS in cars.
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »

They are awesome! :) and cheap! a guy in Best Buys price matched Amazon's price!  :devil

Garmin Navi 260.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: GPS in cars.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »
Garmin is hands-down the best GPS out there.  I would have spent the extra $50 for the wide screen though...

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »
GPS in cars.

After being stuck behind someone using one the other day. I think are about 10 times more dangerous then using a cell phone while driving.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »
GPS in cars.

After being stuck behind someone using one the other day. I think are about 10 times more dangerous then using a cell phone while driving.

Agreed.  There is actually a screen at start-up that requires you to accept stating that you agree NOT to make adjustments while in motion.

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
My sister in-law and her boyfriend took a wrong turn and ended up taking the backroads over the mountains between West Virginnia and Virginia.  When I asked her how she made such and amateur mistake, she said she was messing around with the GPS and it told them to go that way.   :rofl

Too bad for her, the GPS unit didn't come with a free dose of common sense.  ;)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 07:59:31 PM »
I read a map prior and go.   No GPS distractions needed.   If you need a GPS for everyday driving, there's an underlying issue that should be addressed.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:08:51 PM »
I read a map prior and go.   No GPS distractions needed.   If you need a GPS for everyday driving, there's an underlying issue that should be addressed.   

I have a few long trips ahead of me into an unknown territory. This little $200 device sure puts my mine at ease without needing to buy bunch of maps and ask directions at a gas stops.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »
I have a few long trips ahead of me into an unknown territory. This little $200 device sure puts my mine at ease without needing to buy bunch of maps and ask directions at a gas stops.

Mapquest prior to the trip?   My point being, their are enough distracted drivers on the road.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »
I dont ever want a GPS for the vehicle for a driving aid. Its only purpose for me would be to map lat/lon coordinates for certain places/objects/etc.

Maps give directions not GPS devices.

Someone isnt smart enough to read a map, they have no business driving
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »
Mapquest prior to the trip?   My point being, their are enough distracted drivers on the road.   

And how am I distracted? I think it's more unsafe to use a map or mapquest printout than to do a quick look into a GPS screen or listen to verbal directions.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »

I travel all over the place to areas I've never been to do estimates.
I'll get general directions fom the customer.
Then I'll go on mapquest. If I have any question about an area I switch to the Aerial image and zoom in and make notations on the direction printout of any landmarks or sequence of streets to look for.

Never been lost. never had a problem.

Used the same method when I went to my mothers new house in Fla I'd never been to
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
And how am I distracted? I think it's more unsafe to use a map or mapquest printout than to do a quick look into a GPS screen or listen to verbal directions.

You mare sensable enough to know not to screw with it en route.
You.

Based on what I see of the rest of the general public...
not so much
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
You mare sensable enough to know not to screw with it en route.
You.

Based on what I see of the rest of the general public...
not so much

Oh, and this magical toybox has a data bank of restaurants, gas stations, hotels, banks, museums etc.  :)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
I've started using a garmin for hunting, it's great for marking spots and then checking them out on google earth. it's also quite handy for back road navigation where turn offs and side roads are easily missed (especially back country stuff), or it's the middle of the night and things are difficult to see.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
I probably wouldnt use a GPS...have nothing against them though, they dont seem any more dangerous or distracting as radios.

i memorize road numbers and go. have a back roads mapbook in the glove compartment as backup, and for finding more interesting routes but...roads make sense to me, i have no problem navigating as long as i've looked at the map a couple times.

when i have to go by someone elses directions, instead of mapping it out in my head, is when i have trouble. nobody seems to use normal directions and road numbers to do it.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:27:32 PM by vorticon »