Author Topic: So you think you know your German armor  (Read 68249 times)

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
Re: So you think you know your German armor
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »
tell me what type of tank that is

Even without looking at the site you linked the image from I assume it's one of the german Neubaufahrzeug series heavy tank prototypes.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
Even without looking at the site you linked the image from I assume it's one of the german Neubaufahrzeug series heavy tank prototypes.
i hate you
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »
that 1 going 2 be a tough 1.  :O

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 03:04:18 PM »
The Hetzer lineage is clear with the sloping armor on all 4 sides, but the huge tube threw me.  The upper works are obviously added on so it is an ersatz infantry support vehicle.  A little digging and I find it. 

In November of 1944, it was decided to use Jadgpanzer 38(t) as a base for 150mm sIG33/2 carrier. From December of 1944 to the end of the war total of 30 carriers was produced by BMM (Praga/CKD). They were designated as 15cm Schweres Infanteriegeschuetz 33/2 (Sf) auf Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:14:30 PM by Iron_Cross »

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »
The Hetzer lineage is clear with the sloping armor on all 4 sides, but the huge tube threw me.  The upper works are obviously added on so it is an ersatz infantry support vehicle.  A little digging and I find it. 

In November of 1944, it was decided to use Jadgpanzer 38(t) as a base for 150mm sIG33/2 carrier. From December of 1944 to the end of the war total of 30 carriers was produced by BMM (Praga/CKD). They were designated as 15cm Schweres Infanteriegeschuetz 33/2 (Sf) auf Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer.
damn your 2 good.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »
saw very little action in WW2.

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 05:28:45 PM »

(Image removed from quote.) saw very little action in WW2.
oh oh is that the centurion or is this another varient of the panzer that only a select few know of?!
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Panther II with Schmalturm .

glock, you're having way too much fun with this. :)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »
Panther II with Schmalturm .

glock, you're having way too much fun with this. :)
:lol :lol

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2008, 12:27:43 AM »
:O

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »
An interesting Porche prototype, VK4502(P), Porche's design for the Tiger II.  The Porche designed early turret was a hint that got me looking at Porche prototypes in the first place, and the mid engine design just SCREAMS Porche too.  That was too big of a hint, especially for Tiger II fans. 

Oh, BTW the proper nomenclature for the turret is the "early" turret, not the Porche turret.  Both the Porche and Henchel turrets were actually built by Krupp but the Henchel version eliminated a number of problems that the Porche turret had, in particular a nasty shell trap under the gun mantlet and a bulge in the turret's left hand side armour where the commander's cupola was situated.

Unfortunately for Dr. Porsche his fascination with advanced engine design led to the ultimate failure of the VK 4502 (P). The 10-cylinder engines failed during trials, and there was no confidence that the design would bear fruit (given previous Porsche failures using the same drivetrain layout). Work continued into the middle of 1944, but progress to get the design working failed.  Ultimately the 50 turrets Porche produced through Krupp for the VK 4502 (P), were converted for use on the Henschel Tiger II to eliminate waste.

Oh BTW glock89, change the images name, next time.  I saved it to have a visual reference when searching, and thought you had, but it was the prototype number, go figure.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:13:50 AM by Iron_Cross »

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »
An interesting Porche prototype, VK4502(P), Porche's design for the Tiger II.  The Porche designed early turret was a hint that got me looking at Porche prototypes in the first place, and the mid engine design just SCREAMS Porche too.  That was too big of a hint, especially for Tiger II fans. 

Oh, BTW the proper nomenclature for the turret is the "early" turret, not the Porche turret.  Both the Porche and Henchel turrets were actually built by Krupp but the Henchel version eliminated a number of problems that the Porche turret had, in particular a nasty shell trap under the gun mantlet and a bulge in the turret's left hand side armour where the commander's cupola was situated.

Unfortunately for Dr. Porsche his fascination with advanced engine design led to the ultimate failure of the VK 4502 (P). The 10-cylinder engines failed during trials, and there was no confidence that the design would bear fruit (given previous Porsche failures using the same drivetrain layout). Work continued into the middle of 1944, but progress to get the design working failed.  Ultimately the 50 turrets Porche produced through Krupp for the VK 4502 (P), were converted for use on the Henschel Tiger II to eliminate waste.

Oh BTW glock89, change the images name, next time.  I saved it to have a visual reference when searching, and thought you had, but it was the prototype number, go figure.
Knew all that, but didn't feel compelled to share with everyone at 3:30 in the freakin' morning!! :D  j/k

Always like the look of the Porsche turret better :aok, although it made for a nasty shot trap.

(edit: Funny, I only just now read your comments about the shot trap. Great minds.. yada yada)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
Knew all that, but didn't feel compelled to share with everyone at 3:30 in the freakin' morning!! :D  j/k

Always like the look of the Porsche turret better :aok, although it made for a nasty shot trap.

(edit: Funny, I only just now read your comments about the shot trap. Great minds.. yada yada)
dammit you people know 2 much.
  let see how you are good with today type of tanks.

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 02:12:41 PM »
"It's only a model."    ;)
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »
South Korean K1A1 :D