Author Topic: "Lipstick on a pig" comment  (Read 1125 times)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Re: "Lipstick on a pig" comment
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
In the real world, away from the madness of the internet and the media and the candidates attempt to avoid the real issues by flinging muck at each other. Everyone knows the remark was not intended to be a comment on Palin.
It's remarkable that the most powerful country in the world can conduct it's most important election in this, frankly juvenile manner.  :(

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 03:23:36 PM »
In the real world, away from the madness of the internet and the media and the candidates attempt to avoid the real issues by flinging muck at each other. Everyone knows the remark was not intended to be a comment on Palin.
It's remarkable that the most powerful country in the world can conduct it's most important election in this, frankly juvenile manner.  :(

Quoted for truth!

Well said cpxxx

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »

I think just the opposite is true. In the real world everyone knows he would never have said it if not for Palin's recent speech. But so what, politicians attack each other. No big deal, unless you're black or a female. They seem sensitive to me and no matter what you or I think he meant, we don't control their vote.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »
Also remember the joke Palin said during her speech at the RNC:

"What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pig?

Lipstick."

Its just a joke people.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
I think he was trying to be folksy, and made a rookie mistake. Perhaps even a slightly intentional rookie mistake since the lipstick reference had to register at some level as a comparison to Plain's Hockey Mom comment. He just assumed that the misogyny card wouldn't be played as deftly as the race card tends to be played over slights, real or imagined.

The problem for the campaign is that Obama is no longer smooth, polished or in control. You can smell the fear and confusion. His advisors/team, Axelrod primarily, from the Chicago/Illinois machine don't have a lot of campaign experience outside of their urban base and it's starting to show.

Charon

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
from the o'reilly interview.

o'reilly:: you seem to have a lot of friends that are far left.

obama:: i also have a lot of right wing friends.

o'reilly:: who?

obama :: ahh well ahh hmm

o'reilly:: name one.

obama:: ahh er ahh well ahh.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 05:17:47 PM »
I saw that too.  But put Obama in a comforable evnironment like Oprah and Late Night, he does fine.  But as soon as tough questions are put to him (that are not scripted), he falls short of the mark. 

(And BTW, after this election is done, I hope Palin tells Oprah to take a hike!  Oprah doesn't want to be biased, hell, she's already chosen a side.  But then again, it's her show.)

I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »
Bush was a moron before he "won", and acted like a moron the whole time he was/is in office.  He is a disgrace to this country and will always be remembered that way.

After Clinton set the lowest of low standards that would be hard to beat. Bush is not my favorite president but I think he has dignity.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

Lipstick."

Its just a joke people.

What she said was "pit bull". Yours is just a misquote. If it was an attempt at humor it could qualify as an attempted joke.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
Bush was a moron before he "won", and acted like a moron the whole time he was/is in office.  He is a disgrace to this country and will always be remembered that way.

Moron was originally an English scientific term, coined in 1910 by psychologist Henry H. Goddard from the Greek word moros, which meant "dull" (as opposed to "sharp"), and used to describe a person with a mental age located between 8 and 12 on the Binet scale. It was once applied to people with an IQ of 51-70, being superior in one degree to "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) and superior in two degrees to "idiot" (IQ of 0-25).

He has hardly acted like a kid of age 8 - 12 or like someone with a low IQ.....
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 06:04:14 PM »

Welcome to the land of Trailer parks, Monster truck rallys, the WWE and Jerry Springer.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »
He has hardly acted like a kid of age 8 - 12 or like someone with a low IQ.....

He acts like someone who needs people behind the scenes writing his speeches, and telling him what decisions to make, however. He doesn't do very well in live interviews.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »

Lipstick."

Its just a joke people.

She said 'pit bull'. Not Pig.

Your media programing is defective.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
He acts like someone who needs people behind the scenes writing his speeches, and telling him what decisions to make, however. He doesn't do very well in live interviews.

How long has it been since a major politician actually wrote their own speeches?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.