Author Topic: The Difference Between Then and Now  (Read 2652 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
The Difference Between Then and Now
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
I think I've come across at least part of the reason for the difference between the old days of Air Warrior (AWI) and today.

Of course, most of you have heard the old timers from AW recount the days of chivalry, letting wounded opponents go, everybody <S>ing and talking about it being "all about the fight".  A lot of that is true but of course, some is just nostalgic selective memory.  People tend to forget the bad stuff.

There was however, a fundamental difference between then and now.  In AWI you couldn't capture bases.  No one ever won the war.  You could shut a base down for 20-30 minutes but not capture it.  This meant the there was no "win the war" mentality.  Sure, there were bombers and toolshedders but in the end it really was all about the fight because that's all there was.

The scoring system was also rudimentary.  It ranked you by points earned so those who could play the most and were at least somewhat effective were usually on the top 200 list.  If you didn't have a lot of time to play then you didn't care about the scores/ranks.  In fact, because of that, I used to break down K/D, K/S, etc. for each of my 60 squad mates each month and e-mail it to all of them.  I'd use that info to honor our best sticks by posting their kill rates on our web-site, even if they were'nt in the Top 200.  I like to somehow think HT ripped that scoring thing off from me.

I'm not advocating going back to AWI.  I think the base capture/war winning/advanced scoring offers a lot to a lot more people but it has fundamentally changed the game that so many of us payed before AH.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Re: The Difference Between Then and Now
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »
Look where AW is at now.  That's all you need to know.

BTW I flew AW when it was on Genie (cpid 758).

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:24:51 AM »

BTW I flew AW when it was on Genie (cpid 758).

Tango, XO

The base capture thing was in HT/Pyro's Warbirds too, but back then you just had to land your plane on the runway (once all the hangers were down) to capture it.  When did that start, 16 years ago?  You'd hope that after so many years something better would have been thought up.

Ahhh the good old days.  Clearly flight sims were more fun when they looked like this:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:42:26 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
Ahhh the good old days.  Clearly flight sims were more fun when they looked like this:
(Image removed from quote.)

Try an even lower polygon count and no texture on the aircraft.  You could make out generally the shape of the aircraft, and they were all tan :).

Tango, XO
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
Yeah, that's a warbirds 2 pic.  I don't think I have any pics that survive from 1.x.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »
The base capture thing was in HT/Pyro's Warbirds too, but back then you just had to land your plane on the runway (once all the hangers were down) to capture it.  When did that start, 16 years ago?  You'd hope that after so many years something better would have been thought up.

(Image removed from quote.)
what are the little lines in the air? :noid
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:08:02 PM »
Ahhh the good old days.  Clearly flight sims were more fun when they looked like this:[/img]

Grahics are not the point of this post.  Gameplay is.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
I could not agree more :salute
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:13:46 PM by scot12b »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
For years only the 3 N(eutral) bases were capturable, but AW3 did expand it to where all fields could be captured.  There was no war winning though since, you couldn't capture a countries last field.

I don't think that's a valid point at all.  In 2001 with WB and AH out there it still carried around 700 people during primetime.  It's downfall was being snapped up by a corporation that has a notorious history of aquiring and dissolving smaller studios.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
My bad you just got me feeling nostalgic. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
For years only the 3 N(eutral) bases were capturable, but AW3 did expand it to where all fields could be captured.  There was no war winning though since, you couldn't capture a countries last field.

I don't think that's a valid point at all.  In 2001 with WB and AH out there it still carried around 700 people during primetime.  It's downfall was being snapped up by a corporation that has a notorious history of aquiring and dissolving smaller studios.
Agree.  WB survived for a long time with a RPS, too! :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »
Well, at least the water looks nicer.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline 2BAD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
I can remember defending bases with a bomber because u could have all guns manned on it.
Was pretty cool having an internal vox for pilot and gunners and all still able to talk on
country channel.

Was just as fun when dropping a bomb on a bomber on the runway and getting 7 kills.
(1 pilot + 6 gunners)

Being able to fire while on runway or having all guns manned was a fun way to break up a horde
in a bomber.

Almost forgot
Seems somebody always snuck some sheep aboard  baabaa

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:14:17 PM by 2BAD »

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »
I think the biggest difference is that AW crowd was composed of aviation enthusiast's . They are here as well but there is a large component of gamers as well .