Author Topic: Buff Wings Sheer off WHY???  (Read 135 times)

Axeman

Buff Wings Sheer off WHY???
« on: January 06, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »
Was buffing yesterday ...bout 200 knots and went to auto...darn wings sheered off...anyone know why?

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2000, 10:38:00 AM »
Because the way that autopilots works, it suddenly shifts the attitude of the aircraft (pulls the nose rapidly up or down).

Depending on speed, this can induce alot of G' forces, which can be seen as momentary blackouts/redouts.

And when you pull alot of G's, you are exceeding the G rating of the wings of the B-17, and snapping them off.

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

combat23

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2000, 10:54:00 AM »
do to the new fm's if you are in a dive or climb in the b17 and go to "auto" you may pull more g's than the wings can stand. No more flying that buff like a fighter!!! Does seem like it's wings should be able to handle alittle more stress though!?!?

Offline Sledriver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2000, 01:46:00 PM »
I only use auto to hold my current accent or descent. I sometimes have to tap the shift-X or X key several times until I get it to do what I want it to do. I also find resetting the elevator(?) trim back to neutral may help. Simply put, don't trust computers

------------------
Sledriver
(The MAD BOMBER)

eskimo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2000, 08:34:00 PM »
I don't like to complain, but I do not like the willingness of the auto-pilot to pull 10+ g's.  I have ripped my wings off numerous times in the B-17 while jumping from Norden to gunner, and while hitting "Alt X" while in the gunner positions in attempt to prevent fighters from getting too much alt on me.  The B-17 is already at a great disadvantage against fighters.  Buff pilots in AH must do the jobs of several men.  The auto pilot should somewhat simulate what an intelligent pilot would do and not self destruct when the gunners request a climb, or when the bombardier abandons a run to man the nose gun.
eskimo

[This message has been edited by eskimo (edited 01-07-2000).]

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2000, 04:30:00 AM »
On 2nd March 1943, during the battle of the Bismarck Sea, the pilot of this buff from the 63rd Squadron Bomb Group put the B17 into a near vertical dive in order to escape from enemy 'Oscar' fighters.

Although the tail surfaces were heavily damaged, the wings certainly stayed on and he managed to land the plane safely at Port Moresby.

Try doing that in an Aces High buff  

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
'feel the heat .......'

[This message has been edited by Jekyll (edited 01-09-2000).]

combat23

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2000, 07:18:00 AM »
Hummmmmm Wonder how Vertical a Vertical dive is to some one taught to fly strait and level in close formation?  I do agree that at least for a pilot crewing a buff the auto could be made a bit more fiendly.  You would thing that Boeing would know the g limit of their planes wings and would not let the auto pilot exceed that or even get close. Maybe setting the auto to never give you more that 2 g's and the manuvers would reflect that. Want more you gotta man the controls??

Offline YourDead

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »
There should be a way to have several people in one buff.  A bombardier, gunner(s), and pilot.  That would be nice.