Author Topic: F6F Recall  (Read 5007 times)

Offline SPIKER

• Copper Member
F6F Recall
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »
 They forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the tail on.

It will break off during a hard landing or if you let the
tail drop after breaking hard.

Like the 3D look.

<S>
Spiker

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: F6F Recall
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »
I had an experience with the new N1K2J earlier today

most nik flyers should be familiar with the occasional landing where you slam on the brakes, tail stays up until your stopped, tail slams down and breaks off. which is why we dont slam on the brakes :)

I did it today, but after the tail broke off, the tail bounced, and continued bouncing, INCREASING in amplitude!

unfortunately, no film.  I was able to .ef before it flipped over, i'm actually going to go try to recreate it.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »
Same here.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »
They forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the tail on.

It will break off during a hard landing or if you let the
tail drop after breaking hard.

Like the 3D look.

<S>
Spiker

I'll confirm that.  3 times I had that 2 were on the cv  :huh

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:38:06 PM »
Theres no red true air speed indicator either. Only the white land speed.

I dont like the new Hellcat, to be truthful. I dont like the views now.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »
In defence of the new F6 it does feel lighter handling.  A bit like the Fm2 in it's response at the helm.  Wanted a good 1v1 with a zero but the opportunity didn't avail this evening.  I think it has some potential.

Did loose site of cons in a 3 on 1 to the point of feeling flummoxed and flopping about like a newb trying to keep SA.  However, if thats what the view is really like then so be it.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
  However, if thats what the view is really like then so be it.

I agree. May not be the best, but the real pilots in real WW2 probably b****d about it as well. I'm fine with the historical aspect of it as long as HTC did thier homework thoroughly.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:29:35 AM »
I agree. May not be the best, but the real pilots in real WW2 probably b****d about it as well. I'm fine with the historical aspect of it as long as HTC did their homework thoroughly.
Agreed,I'm not flying it much anymore  as i do a lot of flying alone and i really need to see my six,but as long as it is historically accurate I'm good with it.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 12:37:07 AM »
hmmmm.   With the up back view being pretty clear a small half roll and slight turn could check your 6 very easily.

Now in a big furball you might have an issue doing that whilst some bugger is trying to shoot you but if he got there already you've already messed up  ;)

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 01:55:05 AM »
Guess we'll just have to learn it.  If the plane is mor accurate now... then so be it.

Wow... just wow.   :huh
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 02:13:27 AM »
I LOVE the update on the F6F.  Truly a great handling aircraft!  I don't feel it's stable as a gun platform anymore, but that's probably because of the lighter controls.  It seems to have more power as well, A6M's weren't too much trouble, but perhaps I got lucky.  Good work HTC!!! :salute
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 07:22:33 AM »
Agreed,I'm not flying it much anymore  as i do a lot of flying alone and i really need to see my six,but as long as it is historically accurate I'm good with it.

This is now one of those planes where wingmen really help see and clear your six. It's still an effective attack aircraft.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »
I didn't get a chance to fly the new F6 last night, but it was already one of my favorite planes. 

As far as checking your 6, lazydog2 once told me much like Bruv119, that is someone is on your 6, you're already too late.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 07:49:39 AM »
I had an experience with the new N1K2J earlier today

most nik flyers should be familiar with the occasional landing where you slam on the brakes, tail stays up until your stopped, tail slams down and breaks off. which is why we dont slam on the brakes :)

I did it today, but after the tail broke off, the tail bounced, and continued bouncing, INCREASING in amplitude!

unfortunately, no film.  I was able to .ef before it flipped over, i'm actually going to go try to recreate it.

Expect this will be an easy, quick fix. Seem to recall same thing happened to other updated planes in years past, and was promptly corrected in the first post-update patch.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 07:49:48 AM »
I just want the 6 view as bad as it used to be......I don't care if it's historically accurate. This is a game and The Hellcat is my favorite....I guess it doesn't really matter though, I rarely look behind me, but when I actually do....it would be nice to see something other than my own plane.

I always wanted a reason  to betray my love and get with a corsair....now I have to modify another plane with an extra seat so I can entertain Rattfinks sheep....so much work to do.

Can't HTC just patch up the kitty's rear view? They are fine folk, and I can score some good Booze....I know some people at Bevmo.

Lagger