Author Topic: The Mossie  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
The Mossie
« on: September 20, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »
Anyone fly the Mossie "semi-exclusively" in an AtA role? Why I know it's a fighter/bomber, I'm starting to love the thing. In the meantime if you see a Mossie -trying- to turn with you instead of just extend, it may be me. Apologies in advance if I take the HO shot, but if you're in front of me and I'm in that, I'd expect you're planning the same. Would love to see what some of the more experienced sticks can do in one.

:salute

A8Toof

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: The Mossie
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »
Mossie is a fine air to air fighter. Like the A-20 and the 110 the mossie requires a bit of creativity and sleight of hand for maximum effect. At heart all 3 are really E fighting platforms that thrive in the vertical, however they have the ability to shed E very quickly combined with very lethal gun packages. If you think in terms of a pitcher the mossie is a guy with a great fastball and a deadly change up. While everyone talks about the fastball its the change up thats the "out pitch".

Get a guy thinking "fast" and more often then not he's a dead man walking, on the other hand if you catch him sitting on your "change up" nothing is worse then watching a mossie climb up over you. As general rule use the verticals as much as possible and only flat turn when you feel you can exploit E differential...low/high yoyo's greatly increase your effective engagement envelope...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »
Mossie is a great plane if you take the time to learn to fly one. There is a few things you should be aware of though.
-The plane has a imbalanced center of gravity, the counter rotating props don't help either.
-It has some messed up yaw issues. The left yaw is horrible, it makes your rear want to swing around and overtake your head, sending you into the fabled mossie "flat spin".
-The wing bombs and the bay bombs show the same in your cockpit, but of course the bay bombs come first, the opposite the way you would like them. (but hey its British, what do you expect :))
 Here are some mossie strong points.
-the mossie has a very large mass, making its zoom climb exeptional.
-4 20mm in the nose, nuff said.
-one of the best cockpit views in the game. (put your cursor on the gun sight, page up all the way, then press f10 and H.
-O.K dive

hope that helped, I'm sure solar or some of the real mossie sticks will come round soon  :aok

80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
I don't fly it often, but it's been in the back of my mind to try it out once in a while. A few things to point out:

-4x 303s and 4x 20mms in the nose, a very lethal gun package, obviously
-decent bomb load, but as crzy said, you get the same thing with the A20, 4 and 4 in the readout.
- great over the nose view when paging up
- very good in the zoom climb, as said
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »
-one of the best cockpit views in the game. (put your cursor on the gun sight, page up all the way, then press f10 and H.
:rolleyes:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:51:09 AM »
the counter rotating props don't help either.

Are you sure they counter rotate?
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »
Are you sure they counter rotate?
They certainly do not.  So far as I am aware, no Mosquito mark had counter rotating props, certainly no wartime mark.

I don't advocate using the mouse cursor as a gunsight, but I do raise myself up to see better at times.  I always use the gunsight for shooting though.

One thing crazierthanu got wrong was the dive.  It accelerates very rapidly in a dive, but watch the speed as it can lose control surfaces on pullout if you overspeed.  I have used a dive and then a hard turn to kill more than one La-7 that was on my six.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »
Oops, was going off memory from something I read about a year ago.
sorry for the confusion :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:42 AM »
I have used a dive and then a hard turn to kill more than one La-7 that was on my six.

That is the fundamental reality of the mossie, attack from the advantage when possible or use your "change up" when you get forced to fight...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:42:51 PM »
The Mossi is outstanding. It's one of my favourite fighters and it will surprise quite a few people. The typical Mossi spin is relatively easily recovered if you turn the engines off and get the nose down ASAP. Be careful with full flaps, you'll depart into that spin with little warning. The Mossi's one-engine performance is awful, don't keep fighting on one engine and don't let yourself get low and slow. Shut both engines down on final if one is damaged and land dead-stick.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 10:05:42 PM »
Here's a link to another thread with some films Batfink posted...  Some are with him in the Mossie.  Enjoy!

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,247453.0.html
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:36:30 PM »
Batfink has caught me by surprise in his Mossi on more than one occassion, he flies it well.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 05:24:54 AM »
The Mossie is a very fun fighter. It is not even a bad fighter, but definitely not top either.

The center of gravity issue has been addressed in a previous patch so it is irrelevant now. However, it seems HTC has done something to the pitch control - it feels a little as if the elevator is connected to the stick with rubber bands. You can often pull full stick and not push the plane into a stall. This is why trimming has become very important now. To get a strong "pull up" response, you have to be trimmed nose up. I think that this is something that should be addressed in a future patch.

You can find my old and quite extensive mosquito guide thread here:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,206568.15.html
Just ignore the rants about the CG instability. The air-to-air chapter is toward the end of the thread including 2 films. There is also this one that I had and forgot to put on that thread:
http://files.filefront.com/moss+38+rollingahf/;9280798;/fileinfo.html
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:21:15 AM »
it feels a little as if the elevator is connected to the stick with rubber bands
--I thought I was the only one who experienced that,(Thought it was a usb problem)  though I dont fly Mossie, I experience that on D25, not so much with D40, never with N....peculiar
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 02:34:38 PM »
Thank you all very much for the knowledge. I'll apply what I can and learn the plane better as I progress.

:salute
A8Toof