Author Topic: Top ranked player, No Class  (Read 4587 times)

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Top ranked player, No Class
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2008, 09:55:13 AM »
Jaged, here's a list of all the dot commands you can use in-game: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/dotcommands/dotcommands.htm

you can also do it in-flight with /.help

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »
Shuffler and most of the other 38 sticks I have come across in the Mid war are excellent and I have never seen any 'attitudes' from them. As others have said score means nothing, but I have found most at the top are at least above average pilots. The best sticks tend to not worry about their scores.

I hate it when I see a 38 I always assume it's one of those guys that's a good stick in it. It is fun to up a good slow turner and make them work for the kill.  :D
325th Checkertails

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2008, 11:58:48 AM »
The 38J is not perked in MW.

I fly the 38 because I love the plane. I will up a hog 1A if coming off a cv but only becaus you can't get a 38 at the CV. I find the hog much easier to fly though. I much rather fly a 38 down to the CV and rearm/refuel there while fighting an extended battle. The 38 presents  more of a challenge to fly well and so adds to the game for me.

Go fly a 38 for an hour or so then jump in anything else and you'll see what I mean. While not all the other planes are easy to fly... they will feel much more nimble after the 38. <S>

"oh and BP... lighten up... I'm still the same guy I always was" <S>  :D

Added>>> You obviously do not know what Von did awhile back... I thought it was out of character but oh well. All I said about Von that night was that I knew it was him..... by the one move he does.
As far as the A20 being "easy mode"...... never said that. What I said is that it turns well and pretty easy to fly. Still takes skill to fly well (cobia style). I actually upped one for base defense once. FH were down and so I had limited choices. Base was being hit hard but I got up. I was amazed at how well it handled for such a large aircraft. I ended up landing 8 kills in it. Pretty nice plane in a pinch i thought.

Actually ist is much smaller in size than you would think as is a 38.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »
You can disagree all you want and it won't change the simple fact that I switch sides only to help even up the numbers and not so I can fly my particular plane of choice.  If I can't fly the P-38J, I will fly something else.  Look at my stats, I have sorties in Ju-87s, A-20s, B-25Hs and P-38G, the planes I will usually up if I can't fly my main ride or I just log off.

As for not flying something else, does it really matter that I don't?  I have stated many times why I fly the P-38J almost exclusively and the main point is that I have fun flying it and to me that's all that matters.

ack-ack

5 sorties in B-25H
2 sorties in JU 87
 approx 5 total hours logged between bomber and attack modes. I don't consider that really flying other planes. Shuffler isn't much better. I noticed he has 2 sorties in the FM2 along with 2 kills and 2 deaths in it, So my point being that non of you guys venture out of the 38 much, both of your stats in other planes aren't anything special. As stated Twinboom flies other planes WELL.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »
Fighter rank is the only rank that can possibly mean anything. Overall rank is just a puff piece obtained by accomplishing an annoying and tedious shopping list of chores. Fighter rank, however, especially the sub-stats that comprise it, can relate some useful information about the pilot and his plane(s). I've always contended that fighter rank itself is not important, but being effective is. The statistical illusion of effectiveness, via the fighter rank sub-stats, in the absence of any true skills, can only be perpetuated to a very limited degree without doing something dishonest.

So, for the most part, the sub-stats that comprise fighter rank can be a fair indication of someone's relative effectiveness. That being said, the best sticks in the game can destroy their sub-stats if they really work at it, making themselves appear as craptacular as they want to on paper if they really work at it (I rarely ever see a good stick do this). But, it's fairly impossible for someone with no abilities whatsoever to look like a fighter superstar on paper without resorting to unethical means.

Certainly, I will agree with some that have posted that superior fighter rank can very well have very little to do with 1 vs .1 turny bird DA type skills. A lot, if not the majority, of well ranked fighter pilots in the Late War MA, fly faster, relatively poor maneuvering late war planes, which are poorly suited to 1 vs. 1 duels with most other aircraft prevalent in the MA. The skill set required to be a MA tiger in a typical fast LW bird in the populous MA is quite different than that required to be a dueling King in Co-Alt/Co-E 5k Spits 1 vs. 1.

But, that's a far cry from saying anything like anyone who ranks well in fighters sucks and anyone who looks like crap on paper is really some kind of diamond in the rough. For the most part the sub-stats tell the tale in my observational experience. Those that look like crap-on-a-stick on paper are also crap when I have them in my piper. Conversely, those that look decent on paper are a good fight when I come across them in the MA. There's really very few excpetions to this other than the known cheaters or the career vulchers, but everyone knows who they are...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:37:32 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2008, 12:29:53 PM »
Well it seems you are mistakenly thinking I'm passing judgement on you.. I'm not. People play for score, I have no problem with this. Score Ho's don't have any negative impact on what others are trying to do to have fun in the arena. I'll use Shawk as an example. He is the king of Ho's but you won't find him taking down the hangars of a field involved in a furball or sinking a cv involved in same. He's a good teammate and very helpful to those around him; he calls out the bad guys and will come to the aid of those in a tight spot. IMHO that's a good person to have on your team.

I sure Hope Steve meant Score HO not Head On HO :aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »

5 sorties in B-25H
2 sorties in JU 87
 approx 5 total hours logged between bomber and attack modes. I don't consider that really flying other planes. Shuffler isn't much better. I noticed he has 2 sorties in the FM2 along with 2 kills and 2 deaths in it, So my point being that non of you guys venture out of the 38 much, both of your stats in other planes aren't anything special. As stated Twinboom flies other planes WELL.

LOL!  Do yourself a favor and look at all of my tours since the MW arena has been around.  Honestly, why do you care that I primarily fly one fighter?  If you want, you and I can go to the DA and I can whip your arse in all the fighters in the planeset.  Will that make you happy?  LOL!

Tools like you crack me up.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
BP as said before.... I don't fly much of anything else..... I find most planes just boring. So if I up off a Cv to protect it and then auger or get killed it has no bearing on anything other than protecting the Cv. Many times I auger or bail in a 38 to go to a base under attack. I have no qualms worrying about score or anything but fun. I bet my K/D is a lower number because of this fact... but then who cares.  :lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »

So, for the most part, the sub-stats that comprise fighter rank can be a fair indication of someone's relative effectiveness.

It maybe but only if the player doesn't manipulate the scoring system.  Like my previous example, there are quite a few that will fly 3-5 low risk sorties (buff hunts, vulches, etc.) and score them as fighter.  Then they will score each flight afterwards as attack so they won't mess up their fighter score.  

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
BP as said before.... I don't fly much of anything else..... I find most planes just boring. So if I up off a Cv to protect it and then auger or get killed it has no bearing on anything other than protecting the Cv. Many times I auger or bail in a 38 to go to a base under attack. I have no qualms worrying about score or anything but fun. I bet my K/D is a lower number because of this fact... but then who cares.  :lol

He's trying for some reason to prove that you and I only switch sides so we can still fly the P-38J and pad our score. 

ack-ack

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
He's trying for some reason to prove that you and I only switch sides so we can still fly the P-38J and pad our score. 

ack-ack

Ack-Ack I don't care what you do for score and my only accusation is that you and Shuffler rarely venture out of your P-38. Shuffler made a comment to upping an A20 in base defense and got 6 kills. Shuffler shows no kills in an A20 and shows he really flew nothing else but a 38. Maybe he was referring to something that happened 6 months ago. Non of us in MW know what kind of pilot you or Shuffler are outside of the 38. I have flown against Twinn in other aircraft on many occasions. That's my only comment. You on the other hand tried to indicate that you do indeed fly other planes in which I proved otherwise. That's it. If you want to exclusively fly the 38 that's all good by me.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »
It maybe but only if the player doesn't manipulate the scoring system.  Like my previous example, there are quite a few that will fly 3-5 low risk sorties (buff hunts, vulches, etc.) and score them as fighter.  Then they will score each flight afterwards as attack so they won't mess up their fighter score.  

ack-ack

I totally agree. When I look at someone's sheet I look at the sub-stats for fighter rank AND attack vs. air for this very reason. It's pretty obvious if someone's doing this, and if they are you can average the sorties together to get a real notion of what their effectiveness is really like. I saw this a fair bit last tour, I'll leave out the name, but here's an example:

Fighter Rank

K/D: 7.35
K/S: 2.54
K/T: 9.32
Hit%: 8.97%

Attack vs. Air

K/D: 0.978
K/S: 0.792
K/T: 3.98
Hit%: 29.5%

So, we can see that this person is obviously manipulating their stats. So, to get a true idea of their effectiveness we must amalgamate the fighter and attack vs. air stats in proportion to the ratio of sorties they represent.

Here's an actual example of someone who's honest about it and does not manipulate by strafing, intentionally buff hunting or vulching at all...ever...

Fighter

K/D: 17
KS: 3.86
K/T: 8.14
Hit%: 12.31

Attack vs. Air

K/D: 8.22
K/S: 3.12
K/H: 7.99
Hit%: 10.88

The only glaring difference between those two is K/D which is a result of the fact that anytime I take a Tempest up I always score it as a fighter to keep track of how my effectiveness compares to the regular Typhoon. Obviously, it's generally easier to survive a furball in a Tempest...

So, it can be manipulated, but it's as obvious as a dog's balls if it is simply by taking a look at the attack stats vs. air compared to the fighter stats for the individual.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 01:02:47 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
LOL!  Do yourself a favor and look at all of my tours since the MW arena has been around.  Honestly, why do you care that I primarily fly one fighter?  If you want, you and I can go to the DA and I can whip your arse in all the fighters in the planeset.  Will that make you happy?  LOL!

Tools like you crack me up.

ack-ack

Maybe maybe not doesn't matter to me if you can whip my donut in all fighters, I doubt in all of them but I Will go It will be my opportunity to find out for myself just like I did about your alleged  time in other planes, however while were there lets DA in tanks as well just to make sure your not  a GV god so we can put the speculation to bed . I don't want to read later that you up GV's all the time and are awesome in them but find them lame.

If anyone reading this please let me know if you have gone up against Ack-Ack in anything other than a P-38. My comment was that you never do ,it was that I never see you in them. But I could be wrong.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »

Maybe maybe not doesn't matter to me if you can whip my donut in all fighters, I doubt in all of them but I Will go It will be my opportunity to find out for myself just like I did about your alleged  time in other planes, however while were there lets DA in tanks as well just to make sure your not  a GV god so we can put the speculation to bed . I don't want to read later that you up GV's all the time and are awesome in them but find them lame.

You can duel tanks but I'll pass.  I think I've been in a GV less than half a dozen times in the last year or so, if that much.  The GV portion of the game hasn't interested me in the last 7 years or so.

If anyone reading this please let me know if you have gone up against Ack-Ack in anything other than a P-38. My comment was that you never do ,it was that I never see you in them. But I could be wrong.

Next time you're in the MW, ask Rodent about our duels last week or if you see Eaglfart, ask him about our duels the other night in the EW arena where he got his arse kicked by me in Ju87s and a Boston III.  But, I'd rather show you first hand.

Again, though you claim each time you don't care, why does it bother you so much that I fly the P-38J?  I've been playing online flight sims for a little over 15 years now, 14 of those years in the P-38.  It's a plane that has always fascintated me since I was a child and is the only plane that provides me with countless hours of enjoyment.  Flying other planes doesn't provide the enjoyment I get from flying the P-38.  I also feel that the P-38 is a very challenging plane to fly even after all these years, more so than most planes currently in our plane set.  Maybe it bothers you so much because you can't fly the P-38 with any sort of competence and/or you're tired of P-38 flyers like me being able to easily out turn you when you fly a Spitfire or is it that the P-38 has more kills on you than you have against it?

ack-ack
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 01:41:31 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »
Actually Rodent claimed you were even on those duels, as far as Eaglhrt goes he doesn't claim to be a great fighter pilot . He actually has become a well rounded player not one dementional . Ju 87's like the D3a are fun planes to dogfight in Lazydog,  myself and another squadie defended a vbase in ew with Ju87's against the oncomers and we held them off just fine. Fly the 38 all you want it's your money. Again my statement was that I never see you or Shuffler in anything but 38's . In fact AH should have anarena just for you 38 drivers so you can drive each other crazy for a change.