Author Topic: McCain War hero? Interesting read!  (Read 1107 times)

Offline JG_Sunbird

• Zinc Member
      • http://localeyes.dk

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: McCain War hero? Interesting read!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
McCain should be respected for fighting in Vietnam.  However, I think he was a fairly poor pilot. He graduated third from the bottom of his class, failed a major exam, and lost 5 airplanes.  His father was an Admiral, and you can be pretty sure that had some effect on his career.  Also, due to a fire caused by McCains plane, he nearly sunk the U.S.S. Forrestal.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:50:17 AM »
I see that Ward Churchill is a contributor, and Fidel Castro has been published in this newsletter. 
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:59:21 AM »
I agree with the point that there's a world of difference between being a combat pilot and a soldier on the ground, but I don't feel comfortable with drawing such stark moral distinctions.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »
Did you actuall read this drivel?

The pilots had comfortable quarters beside the airstrip in Port Moresby.  When orders for a mission came down, they’d climb in their planes, rattle down the runway, and soar over the Owen Stanley Mountains with the clouds in spotless uniforms, breathing fresh clean air.  The Glory Boys weren’t trapped in the broiling jungle, in the mud and pouring rain, their skin rotting away, chewed by ghastly insects, bitten by poisonous snakes, stricken with cerebral malaria, yellow fever, dysentery, and a host of unknown diseases delivered by unknown parasites.

Not what I have read and heard from the guys who were stationed ay Henderson Field.  Most HAD dysentary and suffered the same maladies as the ground troops.  This guy is NUTS!!!!
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »
Bottom line anyone with politician next to their name is not to be trusted.

To bad no one fielded a reasonable choice for president.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »
Also, due to a fire caused by McCains plane, he nearly sunk the U.S.S. Forrestal.

Really? Do share the whole story!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:20:10 AM »
McCain should be respected for fighting in Vietnam.  However, I think he was a fairly poor pilot. He graduated third from the bottom of his class, failed a major exam, and lost 5 airplanes.  His father was an Admiral, and you can be pretty sure that had some effect on his career.  Also, due to a fire caused by McCains plane, he nearly sunk the U.S.S. Forrestal.

McCains plane was hit by a Zuni rocket that was launched by an electrical malfunction on an aircraft on the other side of the Carrier. Nice how you put it though... McCain nearly sinks the Forrestal because he's a republican ass.

Classic.

I agree with the point that there's a world of difference between being a combat pilot and a soldier on the ground, but I don't feel comfortable with drawing such stark moral distinctions.

Soldiers on the ground, if captured; were normally tortured and killed. Low value to Hanoi. VERY few captured soldiers survived... Pilots, having a significantly higher level of education and training were of significant value to the Vietnamese as bargaining chips with both the Russians and the Americans. The Russians for technical de-briefing..  those with advanced radar and weapons training, especially nuclear delivery training were normally 'disappeared' by the russians and very few were ever returned.

That war was real, folks; people died horrible deaths. McCain climbed into an unarmed 2'nd generation bomb truck to fly low level attack runs into the most effectively defended airspace of the era... 23 missions. To have any man attempt to minimise his skills and sacrafice with cheap shots.. and then parrot that crap here indicates an utter disrespect for the men that served in harms way.

McCain attended the U.S. Naval Academy from 1954 to 1958, and was commissioned as an ensign in June of that year. He retired in April 1981 with the rank of captain. In that time he received 17 awards and decorations. Besides the Silver Star Medal, McCain also received the Legion of Merit with a combat "V" and one gold star, a Distinguished Flying Cross and a Bronze Art Medal with a combat "V" and two gold stars.

Several citations mention his achievements either as a prisoner or as a lieutenant commander flying bombing runs off the deck of the USS Oriskany. Some are signed by then-Secretary of the Navy John Warner, who would become a colleague of McCain's in the Senate.

The citations refer to his "accurate ordnance delivery" and his "aggressive and skillful airmanship." He earned his Bronze Star the day before he was shot down, for participating in a mission over an airfield in Phuc Yen, 11 miles north of Hanoi.

The citation for his Distinguished Flying Cross sums up McCain's misfortune the following day:

"Although his aircraft was severely damaged, he continued his bomb delivery pass and released his bombs on the target. When the aircraft would not recover from the dive, Commander McCain was forced to eject over the target."

He may have been an Admirals son, be he was never anybody's fair-haired boy. He earned his awards, he served with distinction.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »
 :salute
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:46:08 AM »
unbelievable, why do people bring up crap like this-- he is running for president, you ijots keep bringing up crap that has no substance. Either the bs about obama or mccain. None of the flaming in here is worth the effort, the candidates are quite capable-both of them, it is whether you agree to how they will handle the economy and foreign policy, that is it. Who cares if they wet their pants in kindergarten.

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
DOUGLAS VALENTINE is 100% retarded.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 11:24:32 AM »
  Also, due to a fire caused by McCains plane, he nearly sunk the U.S.S. Forrestal.

And his plane was charged with arson, public intoxication, and sodomy of a water fowl.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »
obama is an muslim terrorist mole waiting for his chance to destroy america....I read it on the inTARDnet and I believe it.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:36:52 AM »
Hangtime, you've been blinded with propaganda and fear.  I'm also a Republican.  I have no reason to spread lies.  Unlike you guys, I'm not afraid of either candidate.