Author Topic: Your thoughts  (Read 3450 times)

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Your thoughts
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
On the spit 16. Im always getting killed by spit 16's, and i just did a run in a spit 16 and got to thinking "damn, if it doesnt out perform the F4u1C or the F4U4, why isnt it perked", and after some analysis i realized that the spit 16 hands down out climbs the f4u4; i also realized that yea, ok, the f4u4 is obviously faster, but the spit 16 out climbs the tempest hands down, except for altitudes less than about 7,000 feet, meaning it out climbs the F4u4, and F4u1C without wep, it hands down out climbs all 3 other planes with wep. it out accelerates thew F4u4 and F4U1C, only the Tempest out accelerates this. With no flaps it turns circles around everything, but with flaps the only thing that it doesnt out turn is the F4U1c and F4U4. The F4U1C out runs it, but its perked, kind of expectable. The spit 16 is more lethal than an F4U4, but not as lethal as the F4U1C and Tempest, due to the cannons; i got this information from http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php it may be slightly out dated, but it still proves that the spit 16 can perform with Perked birds. i think that it should have a slight perk, maybe say 5 perks at a perk mod of 1.00.

I compared the Spit 16 to the La-7 next.  The la7 is faster, but the Spit 16 out climbs the La-7. the La-7 out accelerates the Spit 16, but again the spit 16 out turns it. la7 is clearly faster; they both have about the same lethality, but the spit 16 has a longer firing time. The la-7 in some respects clearly out performs the Spit 16, but in contrast the Spit 16 also out performs the la7. both of these planes could perform with perk rides.

Long story short, im stating my opinon that I feel the Spit 16 should have a small perk value, seens on how it can perform with the Tempest, F4U4 and F4U1C in some aspects. I fully understand that everyone will say "people who want the spit 16 perked are the ones that cant fly it", but look At sodas evaluation sheet; it comes right out and says "the spit 16 can make even an average pilot dangeous" in other words, any can fly it well, some with out even trying, and i could sure as hell fly it well if i wanted to fly it, but i feel dirty if i fly it  :devil. anyway, just my thoughts on the spit 16, wondering what others thought of it,  :salute
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »
It does have it's downsides. 

It's relatively fragile (i.e. doesn't take well to hits), tends to like to shed wings when pushed too hard and it's somewhat unstable at the slowest speeds due to the clipped wings.

Where the XVI has an expoitable advantage over every other AC in the game, it also has a exploitable disadvantage over almost every other AC in the game.

The bigger question is, is it it unbalancing to the arenas?  No.  Not any more than the La-7, P-51D or N1K2.  It's overall K/D ratio is nowhere near the perk rides and is, in fact, mediocre.

As to the F4U-4, I've been flying it a bit lately and it might just be the best plane in the arena.  It is a truly astounding AC.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 11:16:59 AM »
i agree about the f4u4 being an out standing aircraft.....if flown right. however, you had mentioned that the spit doesnt unbalance the game play, to some degree it seems it does. you can put me against MOST any plane in my f4u1a, equal e-states, co alt, same pilot skil as me, and i would make easy work of a nikki, work some, but not a whole lot for an la7, and a spit 16 would hands down kick my azz, simply because you cant ever get a shot on it due to its manueverability, i feel it does unbalance game play some, hence why i mentioned a small perk of like 5 in my first paragraph. :salute
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm really on the fence. If it were a little faster, I would say definitely perk it, if it were a little slower I could say every LW aircraft that is completely inferior in dogfighting is faster. But looking at its speed on the deck, while the WEP lasts it is just about as fast as P-38Ls, P-47D-40s, etc.

BTW Bald, the k/d ratio that the whole population of dweebs is racking up, in a free plane typically used for desperate base defense no less, is never quite the whole story. What do you think the Tempest's K/D would be if it was all the time being flown by noobs out of CAP'ed, bases?  :D

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:29:29 AM »
Where the XVI has an expoitable advantage over every other AC in the game, it also has a exploitable disadvantage over almost every other AC in the game.

Name them.  The only real disadvantage the XVI has is top speed, but it's strong enough in that category too.  "Fragile" is not a disadvantage in the sense we normally speak of because it assumes you get a guns solution.  I would wager that no other aircraft runs down and out maneuvers as many opposing aircraft as the XVI, not even the La-7.

That said, I would like to see the XIV unperked, and the XVI perked.  Why?  Because the XIV is tricky to fly, and I almost never see them.  The C-hog and Tempest cost far more and are almost common.  Economics tells us that the XIV isn't worth the price to most people.

Lastly, before anyone says it, I kill far more XVIs than they kill me, mostly because of the typical XVI pilot quality.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:31:35 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
can make even an average pilot dangerous

That's the definition of a perkable ride.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
personaly i think every air craft should have a perk value, the ones that are perked now, give higher ones and the ones that are not perked given a value,

and then i think that when you do a sortie, and get kills, it should take into account how many friendlies and or nme's are in a certian distance around you, and then give you perks accordingly, say if you are in a hourde you would get far less perks for a kill, then when you are the one out numberd.
it could double or triple(or higher) the perk value score for amount of nme cons wihin a certain distance.

i think this would go a long way to help with the hourding in the MAs

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »
Name them. 

The A6M's, Early 109's, F4F/FM2, F4U's (in certain situations), Ki-61, Hurri's and others will out-turn the XVI.

The F4U-4, Dora, P-51D, Typh/Temp, Yak9-U and others are faster.

The F4U/190/P-47 zoom climb will leave a XVI in the dust.

I could go on and on.  I fly every plane in the set but the XVI has always been my favorite. 

I'm not sayin it's not a damn good plane.  Just saying that almost every other plane has an advantage that they can exploit if the Spit pilot falls for it (and vice-versa).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »
When I take a spit-16 up it feels uber. I can bnz it, tnb it just about anything. If I fly it safe and careful and only take shot that I know it's a kill shot, I usually can rack up 7-10 kills in a spit-16 b4 bingo ammo. Its ability to climb/turn and doing just about everything so well should make it a perkie!
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »
I like it and agree it should have a small perk value. Heavy on the dweeb factor, somewhat overmodeled I guess, but still a badass lil dogfighter.

Watch it in action, a short film from the other night  :aok

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ww5nidmyi5
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:16:09 PM by BillyD »
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »
Spixteens suck, I like to see them while in my JUG
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »

The F4U/190/P-47 zoom climb will leave a XVI in the dust.

Hmmm...so you are saying that if a Dora/Jug/non-perk Hog is percolating a long at say, 350, with a Spit16 1000 back, also going say, 350, and the Dora/Jug/Hog goes vertical, the Spit will stall out before it comes into firing range, the Dora/Jug/Hog will zoom well enough to leave the Spit stalling behind and still have control enough to flip over and get it's easy kill in a reasonable amount of time before the Spit16 recovers? Starting from a co-alt co-e position like this?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »
Hmmm...so you are saying that if a Dora/Jug/non-perk Hog is percolating a long at say, 350, with a Spit16 1000 back, also going say, 350, and the Dora/Jug/Hog goes vertical, the Spit will stall out before it comes into firing range, the Dora/Jug/Hog will zoom well enough to leave the Spit stalling behind and still have control enough to flip over and get it's easy kill in a reasonable amount of time before the Spit16 recovers? Starting from a co-alt co-e position like this?

Yup, that was a huge exaggeration on bald's part.  In fact, relying on zoom climb in a 190D-9, Jug or F4u against a SpitXVI with the same airspeed is an instant ticket to the tower.

The F4U-4, Dora, P-51D, Typh/Temp, Yak9-U and others are faster.

I like that you have the cheekiness to list two perk rides here.  Let me also add the 262 and 163. :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:33:26 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
If they perk the M4 and the temp the least they can do is perk that spit16

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
My thought is that this has been brought up a bazillion times before, and for the bazillionth+1 time, there is no justification for perking it. 

If you know your history, you will know that the C-Hog was originally unperked.  During that time, we are told it had something close to 25% of all kills/deaths.

The Spixteen generally has about 8% or less -- along with the Pony, N1K and (until recently when we got all the maps that favor carrier fights) the LA-7.  Here are the percentages of total kills/deaths in the late war arenas during the September tour just completed.  These 10 rides make up 50% of kills if you strip out all the bombers and vehicles, i.e. looking strictly at fighters.  Usage when compared to ALL rides is very much lower.

P-51D   8.46%
Spit XVI   7.44%
N1K2   7.11%
F6F-5   4.99%
SeaFire   4.53%
F4U-1D   4.42%
La-7   3.79%
A6M5b   3.46%
Typh IB   3.44%
P-38L   3.12%

So clearly, the "unbalancing" Spixteen is nothing of the sort.  If you are going to claim it needs a perk, then you must perk the Pony as well, and might as well perk the N1K while you are at it. 

At that point, the F6F, Seafire, LA-7, etc. will move up in usage.  Will you then they will be perked, too?

Forget it.  The only problem anyone has with the spixteen has nothing to do with "unbalancing" the arena.  More likely you just don't like getting shot down.

Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."