Author Topic: Should I retire my mouse? Opinions needed please!  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Should I retire my mouse? Opinions needed please!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 06:33:23 AM »
This is what I'm thinking.

I'll buy a CH Fighter Stick and mod a scroll wheel onto my current keyboard and use it for throttle, I then will have everything at at reach without having to lift a finger.

More input is always welcome.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 06:40:57 AM »
This is what I'm thinking.

I'll buy a CH Fighter Stick and mod a scroll wheel onto my current keyboard and use it for throttle, I then will have everything at at reach without having to lift a finger.

More input is always welcome.

CH Fighterstick has a scroll wheel on it already. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 06:46:19 AM »
Don't forget I'll be using number pad for views, I don't want to to keep swapping between throttle and views.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 06:47:51 AM »
I've only flown with the mouse a couple of times when my ms sidewinder died and i just couldn't get the hang of it.  So i imagine it is probably as difficult for you the other way round, but as others said it'll just take time.  Once you're used to flying with the stick you can always try and use the hat switch for views down the road.

I've had my ch fighterstick for years and i love it. :)  

"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 07:31:56 AM »
It actually amazes me that many of what I consider the "Top Guns" in the game fly with a mouse and keyboard.  Personally, I've been flying sims with a joystick for so long, going to a mouse would be impractical.  Kazaa, fly with what you're most comfortable with.  The joystick makes the game more fun for me.

The CH products are the best because they can take the beating.  I've used an old Microsoft Force Feedback 2 since they came out in 1996 (I feel old all of a sudden).  Sadly, Microsoft doesn't make them any more.  I had to hunt for my last one on Ebay. 

I did find these two on Ebay (there are many more, but these looked to be the better ones):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Precision-2-Flight-Joystick-USB_W0QQitemZ190252549324QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190252549324&_trkparms=72%3A1424%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Microsoft-SIDEWINDER-2-Joystick-USB_W0QQitemZ290270530986QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290270530986&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Both have all the features that most pilots use, throttle, rudders, 8 way hat (for views), and 8 other programmable buttons (i.e. cannons, mg's, wep, check 6 calls...)

The only problem I have with CH products is the price.  Very expensive but most will say well worth it.

Hope this helps and good luck! :aok
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 07:44:25 AM »
Kaz, give me a call bro and I'll measure you up for the good gear.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »
Kaz, give me a call bro and I'll measure you up for the good gear.

Does it come in leather ?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 09:03:50 AM »
Kaz given the peds you already own, go with the Fighterstick and a throttle. You'll have everything at your fingertips except for keyboard slaptalk input on Ch 200  :rofl

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 02:36:13 PM »
Kazaa, hold off on the throttle dial on your keyboard until after you see the throttle dial on the Fighterstick.  When you put your CH FIghterstick right next to your keyboard you might realize how easy it is to go back and forth from num pad to throttle.  Also, the throttle wheel on the CH has very minimal resistance, you can flick it down and up with one finger with ease. Your hand really never leaves the num pad.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:38:07 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »
To a degree yes I fly smart.You will not see me running into a horde on my own, with eyes closed and guns blazing.

All of my time this tour has been spent furballing it up, mainly fighting from a disadvantage.

Edit: Grizz, that sounds like a setup I could get use to, but what do you use for throttle ?

I don't know what Grizz uses, but I use a CH throttle, to go with my Fighterstick and rudder pedals.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 09:00:39 PM »
Nikomon does the same thing using the mouse, I cant imagine using it since I am so used to my stick and keys, go with what you know.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »
I never got off the ground with my mouse have had stick from first 30 mins. I love my x45 stick throt and pedals

I like them because it is a little more realistic. Gives me a little realism

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
Speaking as Kazaa's best friend in this here flight sim,  I can't wait until he stops flying with his mouse  and I can  beat him silly when he is flying like a dork   :lol

Who needs enemies   :D

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »
Looking forward to it Bruv. :aok

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 08:54:39 AM »
I 'd use what ever you are more comfortable with. I couldn't imagine not using an X-52, i have just about everything mapped to the stick and throttle. only need the keyboard for a few minor thing.