Author Topic: Should I retire my mouse? Opinions needed please!  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: Should I retire my mouse? Opinions needed please!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 09:46:59 AM »
I 'd use what ever you are more comfortable with. I couldn't imagine not using an X-52, i have just about everything mapped to the stick and throttle. only need the keyboard for a few minor thing.

I was going to say something like this, but you've already said it.

My X52 setup is great and I do not use all of its functions.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »
same here, i have some open spots on the throttle.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 03:52:47 PM »
I'm in the same boat Kaz.  Been flying for a few years now, always mouse and keyboard.  I haven't switched over to the pedals, but have considered it many times.  I tried kicking over to a JS, but failed miserably.  WAY too many years of heavy FPS play :) 

The one thing I really would love though is a better throttle input.  I've tried using my mouse wheel, but I can never get the effect I really want out of it.  Plus, I use mouse wheel (pressing it down) for firing just primary weps, so I often throttle back in a hail of gunfire  :eek:  I think some sort of mount on the edge/side of the keyboard could be effective, but if the joystick has a good input for throttle that works too.

I know for a fact that inefficient throttle control is my largest weakness as a fighter, so if you guys have a suggestion I'm all ears.  Anyway, good luck with the switch if your making it Kaz.

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
Looking forward to it Bruv. :aok

if you want i can send you macs x52!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 03:58:13 AM »
that thing is like the village bicycle    :rofl

POS
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 04:19:57 AM »
I'm in the same boat Kaz.  Been flying for a few years now, always mouse and keyboard.  I haven't switched over to the pedals, but have considered it many times.  I tried kicking over to a JS, but failed miserably.  WAY too many years of heavy FPS play :) 

The one thing I really would love though is a better throttle input.  I've tried using my mouse wheel, but I can never get the effect I really want out of it.  Plus, I use mouse wheel (pressing it down) for firing just primary weps, so I often throttle back in a hail of gunfire  :eek:  I think some sort of mount on the edge/side of the keyboard could be effective, but if the joystick has a good input for throttle that works too.

I know for a fact that inefficient throttle control is my largest weakness as a fighter, so if you guys have a suggestion I'm all ears.  Anyway, good luck with the switch if your making it Kaz.

Search Ebay or something for a MS sidewinder. Very cheap and will last you 10 years if you dont throw it at the wall. Has full 8 way hat, bout 10 buttons, well placed slider for throttle and very precise twisty rudder. Even then if you go back to the moue you probably only wasted about $20. Its hard because you are not used to it, you have to stick at it for a week or two, then you wont want to go back to a mouse ever again.

quote from obie earlier:
It actually amazes me that many of what I consider the "Top Guns" in the game fly with a mouse and keyboard.  Personally, I've been flying sims with a joystick for so long, going to a mouse would be impractical.  Kazaa, fly with what you're most comfortable with.  The joystick makes the game more fun for me.

The CH products are the best because they can take the beating.  I've used an old Microsoft Force Feedback 2 since they came out in 1996 (I feel old all of a sudden).  Sadly, Microsoft doesn't make them any more.  I had to hunt for my last one on Ebay. 

I did find these two on Ebay (there are many more, but these looked to be the better ones):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Precision-2-Flight-Joystick-USB_W0QQitemZ190252549324QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190252549324&_trkparms=72%3A1424%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Microsoft-SIDEWINDER-2-Joystick-USB_W0QQitemZ290270530986QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290270530986&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Both have all the features that most pilots use, throttle, rudders, 8 way hat (for views), and 8 other programmable buttons (i.e. cannons, mg's, wep, check 6 calls...)

The only problem I have with CH products is the price.  Very expensive but most will say well worth it.

Hope this helps and good luck! :aok
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:24:22 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 07:49:35 AM »
I've bought several MS Sidewinder Prec 2 USB sticks from Ebay.

Normally they cost between 20 - 30$ with shipping. May have to take some time, watch a few to catch a good low price. Take your time and make sure you know what your getting as there are a lot of older 3dpro's and non usb sticks for sale.

OR go to the nearest Walmart and pick up a Saitek ST-290 for about 20$.
Has 4 axis, hat, some buttons and would certainly do well enough to let you know if you want to make the switch or not.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »
If you decide to go HOTAS, from the reviews the CH Sticks are the best overall, but the Sietek throttle is better than the CH one due to the trim wheels and adjustable tension.  I already have the CH trifecta so I don't know that 1st hand, but its what I read.

In your case you're doing so well I'm not sure I would switch at all if I were in your shoes.  Maybe get a cheap stick to use in conjunction with your mouse/keyboard just for those stall fights where you get into trouble, switching back to the mouse when that situation is over.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 02:03:41 PM »
I've bought several MS Sidewinder Prec 2 USB sticks from Ebay.

Normally they cost between 20 - 30$ with shipping. May have to take some time, watch a few to catch a good low price. Take your time and make sure you know what your getting as there are a lot of older 3dpro's and non usb sticks for sale.

OR go to the nearest Walmart and pick up a Saitek ST-290 for about 20$.
Has 4 axis, hat, some buttons and would certainly do well enough to let you know if you want to make the switch or not.

Has walmart invaded europe?!   :O

coem on, kazoo is a pro, he needs more than 4 buttons and a beer hat ;)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 02:44:06 PM »

1: You should get peds. They took my flying to a new level, what with being able to use views and rudder at the same time now. :D

2: I don't have any problems with throttle control, maybe you should check your settings and change the sensitivity.

3: Also my mouse binds for the following buttons are: Left mouse button = fire, right mouse button = flaps lower, middle mouse button = wep and scroll wheel = throttle. I've got a razer copperhead with extra buttons, but the mouse has an awkward feel to it. I just use my 5 year old dell PS2 ball mouse to play.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
1: You should get peds. They took my flying to a new level, what with being able to use views and rudder at the same time now. :D

2: I don't have any problems with throttle control, maybe you should check your settings and change the sensitivity.

3: Also my mouse binds for the following buttons are: Left mouse button = fire, right mouse button = flaps lower, middle mouse button = wep and scroll wheel = throttle. I've got a razer copperhead with extra buttons, but the mouse has an awkward feel to it. I just use my 5 year old dell PS2 ball mouse to play.

3, haha ball mouse :D they had a special appeal to them before in fps games. you could flick em and the ball would roll inside even after you stopped the mouse, eventually you learned how to measure the flicks up and controlling the ball inside to do quick aggressive movements. so it's actually an understandable choice over an optical/laser.

I don't see how I could ever beat kazaa using a joystick vs his mouse precision in a duel. unless his mouserollers had some dirt on em.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »
I was a mouse flyer for 10 years.  I didn't use a "regular" mouse, I had always used a "thumb-ball" mouse--much different than a trac-ball mouse.  It really wasn't all that bad.  The funny part was my squaddies back then PM'ing guys I killed and telling them they just got killed by a guy flying with a mouse.

A former squaddie in the Pigstompers, Bronk sent me his old Sidewinder I sent him a box of beef jerky and some thouroughbred horse racing horseshoes.  It took a good month to get used to a joystick, but felt natural after that.

It turned the door for me, and I always give a HUGE  :salute to Bronk for that.

ROX

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »
I was a mouse flyer for 10 years.  I didn't use a "regular" mouse, I had always used a "thumb-ball" mouse--much different than a trac-ball mouse.  It really wasn't all that bad.  The funny part was my squaddies back then PM'ing guys I killed and telling them they just got killed by a guy flying with a mouse.

A former squaddie in the Pigstompers, Bronk sent me his old Sidewinder I sent him a box of beef jerky and some thouroughbred horse racing horseshoes.  It took a good month to get used to a joystick, but felt natural after that.

It turned the door for me, and I always give a HUGE  :salute to Bronk for that.

ROX

Not sure if kazaa will ever be as precise in a straight da fight with a joystick. i think it will add to his overall game in the end.

most importantly though, it's just that much more fun playing AH with a joystick.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 02:48:47 AM »
Not sure if kazaa will ever be as precise in a straight da fight with a joystick. i think it will add to his overall game in the end.

most importantly though, it's just that much more fun playing AH with a joystick.

The fact that a Joystick is self centering means I can shoot so much better with it then I could with a mouse, if I don't have my mouse exactly centered then it will roll/pitch away from the shot. It's totally different from an FPS game where if you let go of the mouse the cursor stops.

Rumble yes I do love my ball mouse. I've learned the ball like Luke Skywalker learned the force.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:57:38 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 02:55:55 AM »
Flying virtual helicopters is much easier and more precise with a mouse, for me anyhow. Actualy using two joysticks in a heli simulation is tough. I love choppers, shame there are few heli sims worth playing out there.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.