Author Topic: Spitfire wing tips  (Read 9785 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: Spitfire wing tips
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
Holy Moly!!!
Thanks  :aok
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »
Not Free French but 91 Squadron related; there is one old book available online:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/m/mdp/pt?view=image;size=75;id=mdp.39015012926575;page=root;seq=1

Art Donahue was an American volunteer in Bob and this book, "Tally-ho! Yankee in a Spitfire", was written and published after Bob. Later he served in the 91 Suadron (MIA late 1942).

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »
Hi Dan, great tips on the books – thanks!   Which book did Andrieux send you?  I found two titles by Jacques Andrieux;  LE CIEL ET L'ENFER, FRANCE LIBRE 1940-1945 and Une poignee d'as.   I’m wondering if they may be the same book, the latter a reprint of the former under different title?  I just ordered Le ciel et l'enfer.  It appears to be a diary of sorts, not unlike Mouchotte’s book.  Une poignee d'as appears to be hard to come by. 

LE CIEL ET L'ENFER, FRANCE LIBRE 1940-1945 is the one he sent me. 

And I agree  abebooks.com is our friend :)

Gripen, Art Donahue was from a town in southern Minnesota a couple hours south of me.  He wrote two books, the one you mentioned and one called "Last Flight From Singapore" about his time flying Hurricanes during the fall of that city.  He was killed over the Channel in a Spit V after an encounter with a Ju88 that he shot down.  His engine was damaged and he was never found.

I learned of Donahue from a New Zealand Spit driver from 91 squadron who flew wing with him often in Spit Vs.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2008, 06:51:34 AM »
Dan,

does the manual say anything about redoing the rigging and balance on the ailerons after changing the tips?

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2008, 07:15:32 AM »
Last flight from Singapore!!!!
Is this book available? I have looked but found very little of the air ops at the fall of Singapore. The only thing that comes to mind is from a novel, which mentions the last Hurricanes flying to Palembang. Any foot in that?
I'd buy that book BTW...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
Last flight from Singapore!!!!
Is this book available? I have looked but found very little of the air ops at the fall of Singapore. The only thing that comes to mind is from a novel, which mentions the last Hurricanes flying to Palembang. Any foot in that?
I'd buy that book BTW...

Christopher Shores  "A Bloody Shambles" covers that part of the air war.

31 copies of "Last Flight From Singapore" on abebooks.com  $1.53 for the cheapest :)

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Donahue&sts=t&tn=Last+Flight+From+Singapore&x=79&y=11
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »
Dan,

does the manual say anything about redoing the rigging and balance on the ailerons after changing the tips?

That was done at the factory with a special tool that bent the aileron as there was no aileron trim.  Nothing about adjusting it after tips were changed.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »
That was done at the factory with a special tool that bent the aileron as there was no aileron trim.  Nothing about adjusting it after tips were changed.

Thanks Dan. It appears Crumpp is spouting hot air then.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
Thanks Dan. It appears Crumpp is spouting hot air then.

Not even worth the effort in that regard Milo :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Blake7

• Zinc Member
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
here is the best use yet for spitfire wing tips [im http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?g][/img]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:42:15 PM by Blake7 »
Wir sind die schwarzen Husaren der Luft,
Die Stukas, die Stukas, die Stukas!
Immer bereit, wenn der Einsatz uns ruft,
Die Stukas, die Stukas, die Stukas!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »
This link is of no use....

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
This link is of no use....

he is missing the ']' Angus.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
Blake7 intended to post:
here is the best use yet for spitfire wing tips

EDIT:

But even fixed it does not link to an image.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
"It appears Crumpp is spouting hot air then."

So what did he say and where?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2008, 05:20:50 AM »
You have a PM Charge.