Author Topic: Nothing to see here, move along  (Read 4015 times)

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Re: Nothing to see here, move along
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 06:18:45 PM »
Well crap, since it's going down the tubes anyhow...

HTC's description of the arena says:

"The Axis versus Allies arena is set up for historical gameplay.  There is a two sided war, a limited plane set, and reduced radar."

Nothing more, nothing less.

The reason I agree with Jaeger's code of conduct, is that when I joined AH in 2005 the Axis vs Allies arena was linked to here http://ahevents.org/misc/axis-vs-allied-arena-information.html and as stated there:

Unlike the Main Arena’s field capture is not the focus, but rather fair and balanced aircraft engagements. Vulching is frowned upon as is spawn camping. All players are expected to behave in a polite and chivalrous manner. Rude heckling and insulting behavior will not be tolerated by any AvA staff.

I agree that they are not HTC rules, but merely suggestions/guidelines made by the AvA staff themselves.  For myself, that is how I was introduced to the AvA, and probably many of the others who agree with those guidelines.

So it's not unreasonable for someone to want to encourage others to fly by those rules, as per the AvA site.  It's also not unreasonable for someone to say "heck it's my 15 bucks I'll do what I want" as per flyaceshigh.com
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:20:53 PM by republic »
P-47 pilot

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »
Well crap, since it's going down the tubes anyhow...

The reason I agree with Jaeger's code of conduct, is that when I joined AH in 2005 the Axis vs Allies arena was linked to here http://ahevents.org/misc/axis-vs-allied-arena-information.html and as stated there:

I agree that they are not HTC rules, but merely suggestions/guidelines made by the AvA staff themselves.  For myself, that is how I was introduced to the AvA, and probably many of the others who agree with those guidelines.

So it's not unreasonable for someone to want to encourage others to fly by those rules, as per the AvA site.  It's also not unreasonable for someone to say "heck it's my 15 bucks I'll do what I want" as per flyaceshigh.com

I totally understand this viewpoint, and also agree with what these "guidelines" aim to achieve. A more fun and balanced arena for all. Where this entire train of "higher class of player" and chivalry derail though, is right here on the BBS but it doesn't stop there. The general attitude is the same ingame, not surprising. This is where I totally disagree, there is no need to behave like that. It destroys the original good intentions of the rules.

If the fault is on a individual level, squad level or arena level I do not know, but having people fling poo at eachother on the boards doesn't help anyone, least of all the arena.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Online captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 06:26:06 PM »
I just wanted to INform the new people of some of our expected behaviors, they can do as they please. i dont expect anything from 33vortex other then the negativity he has already projected.

this started out as a pretty good thread but again 33vortex just cant included anything positive to the thread. maybe someone needs needs to remove whatever it is thats stuck in his craw!!

again more negativity. just wish some of you would live by the golden rule-- "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"

thanks for reading.

edit-- when was the last time you flew ava 33Vortex??

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
I just wanted to INform the new people of some of our expected behaviors, they can do as they please. i dont expect anything from 33vortex other then the negativity he has already projected.

this started out as a pretty good thread but again 33vortex just cant included anything positive to the thread. maybe someone needs needs to remove whatever it is thats stuck in his craw!!

again more negativity. just wish some of you would live by the golden rule-- "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"

thanks for reading.

That's your "higher class" player right there.  :aok

Truth has no agenda.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
edit-- when was the last time you flew ava 33Vortex??

I don't recall, but you weren't there.

Truth has no agenda.

Online captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »
well i'm in there almost every night, so stop crying and add something constuctive for a change. we're trying to make it better and you and your whines arent helping. please stop....please... pretty please....

tell stampf i said hi!!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2008, 06:47:46 PM »
I totally understand this viewpoint, and also agree with what these "guidelines" aim to achieve. A more fun and balanced arena for all. Where this entire train of "higher class of player" and chivalry derail though, is right here on the BBS but it doesn't stop there. The general attitude is the same ingame, not surprising. This is where I totally disagree, there is no need to behave like that. It destroys the original good intentions of the rules.

If the fault is on a individual level, squad level or arena level I do not know, but having people fling poo at eachother on the boards doesn't help anyone, least of all the arena.

This is a fine post, and I believe we can all agree with it (and please don't hit us with the "He started it!" routine, anyone).  

As Jaeger pointed out, there was once a "code" that most people followed.  That may no longer be true, much time has passed and we've spent nearly a year now on a War footing.  It was nice of Jaeger to post this, because many new folks possibly wonder why older players complain about HOs and porking and ganging and so on, and now they understand.  But as others have noted, this is a historic arena; if it pleases you to send four planes to attack one, which is quite accurate history, there's no reason you can't.  You will understand, though, why some people criticize you for that.  You may avoid the arena because you can't employ tactics which were used in WWII.  They may avoid the arena because they find those tactics to reduce the sporting aspect of what is, after all, a game.

We would like to keep both sets of people happy here, but as you can see, some restraint is required on both sides.  If you get ganged, try to keep your mouth shut, remember that it's not a real life you just lost, and look for a better fight on your re-up.  If you're the ganger, possibly you can accomplish your goal with two planes instead of four.  (I defer to others to comment on how to be a nice porker, it's undoubtedly possible.)

And hey, most of those posting in this forum really enjoy some aspect of AvA.  Can we treat each other with a bit of respect, since we're all out to improve the same thing?

- oldman

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
...so stop crying and add something constuctive for a change...

I'm sorry to have to tell you this Jaeger but the crying part is all in your imagination and if you can't see the constructive bits of my posts I can not help you. Perhaps you ought to read what Oldman posted above?

As for stopping, that's easy, but then you wouldn't have the benefit of my input. Want to keep it on a nice level? It's all very simple really. Stay on a nice level.

:aok

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »
Glad the ava is better with storch gone.  :rofl
See Rule #4

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »
The AvA guys are just determined to keep people out.

Rules like these are meant purely to substitute for lacked SA and/or skills.

Luckily they aren't really rules and it is really fun to break them in front of people who think they are rules.

CYA in the AvA

PS....Look up as I will definitely be high, usually with three wingmen and I'll be the one that "picks" while my wingman is pressing you.

In the Navy, it's called Loose Deuce.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2008, 07:25:42 PM »
This is a fine post, and I believe we can all agree with it (and please don't hit us with the "He started it!" routine, anyone). 

As Jaeger pointed out, there was once a "code" that most people followed.  That may no longer be true, much time has passed and we've spent nearly a year now on a War footing.  It was nice of Jaeger to post this, because many new folks possibly wonder why older players complain about HOs and porking and ganging and so on, and now they understand.  But as others have noted, this is a historic arena; if it pleases you to send four planes to attack one, which is quite accurate history, there's no reason you can't.  You will understand, though, why some people criticize you for that.  You may avoid the arena because you can't employ tactics which were used in WWII.  They may avoid the arena because they find those tactics to reduce the sporting aspect of what is, after all, a game.

We would like to keep both sets of people happy here, but as you can see, some restraint is required on both sides.  If you get ganged, try to keep your mouth shut, remember that it's not a real life you just lost, and look for a better fight on your re-up.  If you're the ganger, possibly you can accomplish your goal with two planes instead of four.  (I defer to others to comment on how to be a nice porker, it's undoubtedly possible.)

And hey, most of those posting in this forum really enjoy some aspect of AvA.  Can we treat each other with a bit of respect, since we're all out to improve the same thing?

- oldman

nice post, Oldman......
is the cycle called evolution.things never remain the same, yet they do come back around as time goes on........

lutrel, remember when your squad first arrived and hit the AvsA? your guys would go in early and kill all radar and gang 5/6/8 on 1 person......

this was the 1st REAL Changing from old unwritten code to new AvsA war footing......looks like it never got to far........

I miss fighting the JG54 ( Larry, Storch, Tbarone, Tyrant.miss the fights with Eagler, Ltarget, Duke, Oldman, Dedalos, Shane, etc......) everyone had respect for each other........ with things changing most ( well at least me ) do not have a desire to go in and see the same old crap I see in all the other arenas including the DA........ FSO's...Scenarios and KOTH is bout all that is left that can hold my interest....since the greenhorns have mass3d and changed the way the game is played.......

edit: you are RIGHT, these are not written rules....it is Good Gameplay Etiquette, it actually helped set the AvsA(old CT Arena ) apart from the whack a mole atmosphere of all other arenas...and the SA and Flying Skills stood out by Far compared to other arenas.......not because of fights being 1 vs 1, 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1....... it stood out because people had time to actually FIGHT IT OUT...with no worries of some cheap arse picking fool to come SPOIL the damn fight........not that it really matters...the people who play by an unwritten code, always will when they know they are fighting LIKE MINDED individuals..and will smack talk everyone else......knowing 1st hand that if the opponent responds to the smack talk, they then know they have gotten under their skin and know it bothers them on how they play .......

YMMV.......

good luck AvsA Staff.......
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:32:57 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »
The AvA guys are just determined to keep people out.

Rules like these are meant purely to substitute for lacked SA and/or skills.

Quite the contrary Gumbeau. You would find that your SA and skills that served you well in the MA used to be considerably lacking for what you needed in the CT.

Given the same set of circumstances now, the same would be true I hazard.

Let the squeeking continue.

RTR
The Damned

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
Gumbeau, please don't take my reply being directed straight at you. I made a poor choice of wording there......

and know you can put up a good fight to be had.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2008, 07:59:47 PM »
Quite the contrary Gumbeau. You would find that your SA and skills that served you well in the MA used to be considerably lacking for what you needed in the CT.

Given the same set of circumstances now, the same would be true I hazard.

Let the squeeking continue.

RTR

I don't find this true.  With the right people in AvA, I take a 1 vs 1 for granted and lose my SA.  I can focus on the fight at hand.  I go into MA and get picked.  I need higher SA in MA.  The high numbers make MA a different game. 

Venom

Offline RMrider

• Silver Member
      • http://
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
My oh, my oh, my oh, my...

One thing just keeps playing in my head...

"Why cant weeee be on-line friends, why cant weee be on-line friendssss"

EDIT: I must agree with venom though. In the AvA, i rarely ever find myself getting jumped, even i na 1 v 2 or even a 1 v 3, i find it MUCH easier to track my enemies than in the MA when i run into a
1 v 8.  :huh   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:06:53 PM by RMrider »
MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC