Author Topic: la7  (Read 1257 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
la7
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »

how do you land an la7.  are there any films available.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: la7
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »
 :huh

uhmm just like any other fighter... slow down, flaps out, gentle & shallow approach.
The La-7 isn't particularly hard to land at all.

La-7 landing
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:36:39 PM »
Its one of the most forgiving to land. Like the IL-2 the Ruskies made em tough. Ive landed shotup LAs like bricks and still they held together. The real trick is in slowing them down because they glide like anything. You have to reduce RPMs and use reverse rudder to rock them about and slow them down for landing.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
Reducing RPMs means reducing drag when gliding in. But as you want to slow down, you don't want reduced drag. So just lower manifold pressure (= throttle down), but don't reduce RPM's at the same time.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »
side slipping (skidding) the IL2 is sufficient enough to burn excess energy so you can land.  As Lusche pointed out, adjusting RPM to help slow you down is not the way to do it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
Remember, land your plane as if it were an aerodynamic brick, gentle enough that it doesn't break, but going down enough so you don't miss.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »
don't listen to these guys.. they hate la7's...  they're pulling ur chain.  notice none of them said anything about putting the landing gear down?

besides everyone knows an la7 flys itself... lands itself too!

:noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:55:36 PM »
don't listen to these guys.. they hate la7's...  they're pulling ur chain.  notice none of them said anything about putting the landing gear down?

besides everyone knows an la7 flys itself... lands itself too!

:noid

If you notice, I am a member of S.A.P.P and we are widely known for not using such silly things like landing gears or landing with the plane intact.  Our motto is "The less parts you land with, the better the landing."

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »
If you notice, I am a member of S.A.P.P and we are widely known for not using such silly things like landing gears or landing with the plane intact.  Our motto is "The less parts you land with, the better the landing."

ack-ack

Search SAPP Landing techniques.   While SAPP drivers fly 38s, the method will work with an LA7 as well.

This thread was for the more complicated formation landings
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,226409.0.html

AKAK demonstrates his technique in this thread
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,243455.0.html
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:23 PM »

This thread was for the more complicated formation landings
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,226409.0.html

Hey Dan, this link isn't working for me - or at least I don't have access to view it.   :D
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 02:17:53 AM »
My mstake

Finished the night with some formation landing practice with Mensa.  Thought I'd share some of my technique with the SAPP crowd in the hopes of helping others become better at putting their 38s down with style.

Note the smooth approach, flaps and gear out, curving in on final.  Mensa looks a bit off in the background....but then again....it's Mensa.

Understand I'm trying to talk Mensa through this, and Soulyss is in the tower offering advice as well, but he's young and wants to go his own way....literally.  Note I'm down nicely, center of the runway.  Not sure what Mensa is doing.

Now that I'm down and centered, it's time for me to finish up.  Note the smooth extention of the right wing, into the runway at about 45 degrees.  This sets up the rest of the landing roll.  Mensa is apparently trying to correct, but I'm afraid it's too late.

Continuing on, I lit a fire in hopes of giving Mensa something to guide in on.  My landing roll continues.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »
Now this is where I added a bit of style to the roll.  Note I've gotten airborne again as I 'tuck' the nose under.  This shows the sign of a real veteran on the landing roll.  Again, I'm not sure what Mensa is doing, but I'm hoping he'll get better at this.

Pay close attention to this part of the landing roll.  Synchronized rudder removal is a sure sign of a veteran 38 pilot.  It allows for a smoother surface to the 38 as the pilot completes his landing.  As you can see by his 38 in the background, Mensa will need continued work on this.

Finally down and safe, center of the runway.  The key is knowing when to kick the rudder and dig in the wingtip.  You too, in time can land a 38 as well as this.  But don't dispair.  It's taken me years of practice to reach this level of ability:aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 06:00:09 AM »
Reducing RPMs means reducing drag when gliding in. But as you want to slow down, you don't want reduced drag. So just lower manifold pressure (= throttle down), but don't reduce RPM's at the same time.

I reduce RPMs and land successfully all the time. Slowing down is slowing down. No matter how you do it. All reducing manifold does is reduce RPMs, which slows you down. Whats the difference how you do it?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 06:06:34 AM »
I reduce RPMs and land successfully all the time. Slowing down is slowing down. No matter how you do it. All reducing manifold does is reduce RPMs, which slows you down. Whats the difference how you do it?

The difference is, that by further reducing rpm you simply reduce drag. It's doesen't prevent a succesful landing but it doesn't help either. It's just not helping you slowing down but on the contrary: it reduces drag and thus makes slowing down more difficult.

That's also the reason why to reduce rpm while gliding home with a non running engine. Minomum RPM = minimum drag from prop = longer gliding time (and distance)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:12:37 AM by Lusche »

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 06:11:53 AM »
 :rofl CorkyJr.  :lol
Lighten up Francis