Author Topic: If we had the Meteor  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: If we had the Meteor
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 03:52:59 AM »
 :rofl
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 02:35:14 AM »
And this is why you won't see it.  Sorry to bust your proverbial bubble. 

A few Meteor IIIs flew to the Continent in January 1945 and operated out of the Low Countries with the 2nd Tactical Air Force until the end of the war in early May 1945. They performed ground strafing attacks, but never engaged in air combat.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 03:12:27 AM »
AFAIK they did go after German fighters, but were jumped by friendlies.
They also shot down V-1's.
They did kill ground targets. including aircraft.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
AFAIK they did go after German fighters, but were jumped by friendlies.
They also shot down V-1's.
They did kill ground targets. including aircraft.

Being that it barely reached squadron service, and never engaged in combat past armed recce, I think it would be a bad addition to the set. (It would be great fun, undoubtedly...But so would a Sea Fury and the Bearcat, both of which were much closer to full deployment)  A total of 4 Meteor F3's were operational in 1945, in Belgium.  The rest of the squadron didn't even move into theater until April, 1945 (The end of the war)

"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »
Moray, V rockets are combat.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »
They DID engage in combat with 190's, that was my point. However they were jumped by friendlies who didn't know WHAT they were, so there was no kill.
But they did kill airborne V-1's by some numbers as well as strafing aircraft and other ground targets.
They fired their guns in anger and did sorties in a hostile airspace over the period of several months. IMHO this rules them in, while fine aircraft such as the F7F, F8F, and even the P-80 are out.
How about a H-162 then BTW? They did mix it...

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »
They were combat sorties.. I think even if something was sent out to some combat op and the target/enemy was unexpectedly absent, it ought to be admissible.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »
Moray, V rockets are combat.

Wasn't aware they could shoot back.  I'll get back to reading now.
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »
They were dangerous to shoot down and the ground attack missions flown by the Meteor did involve being shot at.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:21 AM »
190's could also shoot back...
"the only air-to-air combat recorded for a single Meteor was an engagement with a German Focke-Wulf Fw 190, to which ended in a draw citing exterior circumstances."
But they destroyed some 30 aircraft on the ground...

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2009, 05:49:52 AM »
190's could also shoot back...
"the only air-to-air combat recorded for a single Meteor was an engagement with a German Focke-Wulf Fw 190, to which ended in a draw citing exterior circumstances."
But they destroyed some 30 aircraft on the ground...

The meteor clearly was in action though in very small numbers, Does anyone know what the exact rules are on this if any. TBH I dont see a problem if the perk is high enough but I am not sure of the exact position on this.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
The meteor clearly was in action though in very small numbers, Does anyone know what the exact rules are on this if any. TBH I dont see a problem if the perk is high enough but I am not sure of the exact position on this.
Squadron strength as I understand it, and yes, the Meteor Mk III meets those requirements.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »
Civilians.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »
The He-162 would be more fit to add, as it saw both active service AND kills versus air-to-air targets, which were fully capable of shooting back.

The Meteor, not so much.
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »
The He-162 would be more fit to add, as it saw both active service AND kills versus air-to-air targets, which were fully capable of shooting back.

The Meteor, not so much.
Meteor saw much heavier service than the He162 did.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-