Author Topic: Who should die in a collision  (Read 2268 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: Who should die in a collision
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »
Not all collisions happen with that extreme amount of lag but I under the multitudinous amount of posts on the subject.

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 10:39:09 PM »
I vote for my first wife.  Can I get a hallelujah!
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:49:06 PM »
If they change the collision model to both go down that would be totally unrealistic for example I offer this guy the last ace from his squadron. http://forum.armyairforces.com/photo.aspx?photoid=1617&asorttype=6&apage=1

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 01:40:57 AM »
Who should die in a collision?  The person who posted the question for the twenty-trillionth time without doing a search first.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 01:47:24 AM »
The solution is really simple. I have suggested it before. HiTech has shot it down before.

If BOTH FE's agree it's a collision BOTH take damage.

If BOTH FE's DON'T agree it was a collision NEITHER take damage...

Under no circumstances...ever...should just one person take damage from a collision

Do that and suddenly one person's chitty connection isn't ruining another person's time and flight...The reason that would be great is because the crap happens where some warpy bastard playing on a satelite connection from BFE Antarctica warps, you're FE at 30 ms ping sees him warp into you, his 3 second delay PoS connection sees him half a mile away, you go down and he keeps on trucking.

Either do what I wrote above or aggressively boot people from the server if they fail minimally acceptable connection fidelity checks performed regularly by the server....

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:52:53 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 02:04:47 AM »
The solution is really simple. I have suggested it before. HiTech has shot it down before.

If BOTH FE's agree it's a collision BOTH take damage.

If BOTH FE's DON'T agree it was a collision NEITHER take damage...

Under no circumstances...ever...should just one person take damage from a collision

Most of my collisions are "one-sided".. so with your solution I will be able to fly guns blazing through every enemy buff, never having to worry about a collision and getting guaranteed kills on each attack :)

Being an european player with a comparatively high ping, I suddenly have a genuine advantage - I know I have high latency, I know then I will survive most "collisions" because of that high total lag, it's very improbable a collision egisters on both FE's. An American player with a low ping would be at a disadvantage, cause if his enemy is another low-ping user too, the danger of registering a collision on both FE's is much higher. Result: Not only connection stability plays a role - suddenly ping time does matter tremendously. Players with high ping times (yet stable conections) will have a notably higher chance of getting away with suicidal attack tactics.

You are "solving" a occasional warper problem (which does indeed suck) by introducing a massive gameplay problem on several levels.

The current collision model is a very clever and elegant compromise for the internet related lag problem. Every other proposed "solution" is actually much worse for gameplay.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:18:38 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »

Most of my collisions are "one-sided".. so with your solution I will be able to fly guns blazing through every enemy buff, never having to worry about a collision and getting guaranteed kills on each attack :)

That is precisely why Kesmai gave collisions a good, long, hard look and decided the variablity of global internet connection fidelity made them impractical for implimentation in such a fast paced real-time environment. Far better for you to warp thru someone, both unscathed, than for you to warp through someone, they take damage and you fly on unscathed.

No one gets pissed if they think it was a collision and don't take damage themselves. People get pissed when it was a collision and the other dumb bastard who warped giggles and flies off unscathed while your useless husk that was once the proud receptacle of your pelt pouch full of scalps floats lazily to the ground, broken and fluttering like a fall leaf.

We're talking the lesser of evils here. If we must have collissions make them by consensus and unilateral.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »
That is precisely why Kesmai gave collisions a good, long, hard look and decided the variablity of global internet connection fidelity made them impractical for implimentation in such a fast paced real-time environment. Far better for you to warp thru someone, both unscathed, than for you to warp through someone, they take damage and you fly on unscathed.

No one gets pissed if they think it was a collision and don't take damage themselves. People get pissed when it was a collision and the other dumb bastard who warped giggles and flies off unscathed while your useless husk that was once the proud receptacle of your pelt pouch full of scalps floats lazily to the ground, broken and fluttering like a fall leaf.

We're talking the lesser of evils here. If we must have collissions make them by consensus and unilateral.

Your way is by far the bigger evil. See my edit above ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 02:21:49 AM »
Your way is by far the bigger evil. See my edit above ;)

I do that w/o benefit of collisions. There's two types of planes...Fighters and targets...I am sure if HiTech put his able mind to it he could tweak the detection system to throw out rounds striking from INSIDE the airframe. Something similiar was needed for GVs when jeeps would drive into tigers and shoot them up from the inside. In general the whole collision detection system of AH from the ground up has some issues that need to be resolved. The first and last tank I drove got flipped upside down by a bush that was up to my shin and leafy. That was *cough* NOT an immersive experience...:)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:26:41 AM by Zazen13 »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »
No actually that is a very good example of not very much lag.

Tool your smart enough to have known better. I am starting to think your turning into a pot stirrer.
You don't care if you win the fight, as long as there is a big messy one going on.

Shame on you sir.

Not all collisions happen with that extreme amount of lag but I (Image removed from quote.) under the multitudinous amount of posts on the subject.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 08:11:42 AM »
<----- calls dibs on the 1st Collision gripe thread of 2009. The rest of ya, get in line  :lol

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »
Here's a question for anyone in the know. In a collision between American or European Steel vs. Japanese Rice paper, How in the world does a Japanese plane survive?

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 08:32:01 AM »
Who should die in a collision?

Not me, that's who!  :)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »
Here's a question for anyone in the know. In a collision between American or European Steel vs. Japanese Rice paper, How in the world does a Japanese plane survive?

Beware of the always painfull paper cut :cry

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »
You keep griping about warping, when 95%+ of the collisions that occur in this game have absolutely nothing to do with warping.

The system as it stands is the best solution.  If you don't want to suffer collision damage, then maintain a safe distance from the other aircraft.  It could not be simpler.

Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."