Author Topic: Perk the P-38J in the Mid-War Arena  (Read 7756 times)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
Re: Perk the P-38J in the Mid-War Arena
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »
Kennyhayes used to be my favorite poster.

But now, now I have a new favorite.

Well played, Ispy, well played.

Bravo sir.   :rofl
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
Votes this thread as MOAT Winnah 2009...or at least till Skuzzy beats it down with a whup stick  :aok

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
Last night in the Mid-War arena I overheard two SAPP players on the radio talking about bombing a town with torpedos, why can they do that and us normal players cannot?  Again, need anymore proof there is a bias going on here?

:lol

Omg, don't make it stop.  This is greatness.

:rofl

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »
We've also got a cheatcode to activate the Puff on the C-47.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Im going with Shuffler posting with a shade.... :D  Sound like his humor to me....

Funniest dang post ive seen in a long time....

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
Only real thing it has is speed as its main advantage over the P-38, it won't beat it in the vertical and when speeds get low, the P-38 will out turn it.

ack-ack

The La5 also out-accelerates and out-climbs the P-38J badly below 7K or so. Dokgonzo's site lists the La5's no-flaps turn radius as being nearly as small as the P-38's *full* flaps radius.

As to zoom climb...

http://www.mediafire.com/?x15zgxx8sym

Test is done as standard, dive to ~sea level, decelerate to 400mph, pull up vertical and use shift+X to hold the attitude until the plane falls off. The P-38's weight and torque-less operation does benefit it here, it regains ~6.1K as compared to the ~La5's 6K. It should be noted however that I leveled off from the dive slightly higher in the 38. So while a P-38 should rope be able to rope an La5 with any sort of energy advantage at all, its vertical potential is unlikely to save it from a co-e state, especially considering the advantage in energy building the La5 possesses.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »
The La5 also out-accelerates and out-climbs the P-38J badly below 7K or so. Dokgonzo's site lists the La5's no-flaps turn radius as being nearly as small as the P-38's *full* flaps radius.

As to zoom climb...

http://www.mediafire.com/?x15zgxx8sym

Test is done as standard, dive to ~sea level, decelerate to 400mph, pull up vertical and use shift+X to hold the attitude until the plane falls off. The P-38's weight and torque-less operation does benefit it here, it regains ~6.1K as compared to the ~La5's 6K. It should be noted however that I leveled off from the dive slightly higher in the 38. So while a P-38 should rope be able to rope an La5 with any sort of energy advantage at all, its vertical potential is unlikely to save it from a co-e state, especially considering the advantage in energy building the La5 possesses.
Right.. now start a spiral climb opposite to the torque of the La5.... Lemme know how that goes.
See Rule #4

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
Right.. now start a spiral climb opposite to the torque of the La5.... Lemme know how that goes.

Could work. I should point out, although both La-Las are equipped with massive radials attached to a very small amount of airplane, they do not seem to suffer from torque to the extent that 109-Ks, Spit14s, Tempests or other high-powered monsters do. For whatever reason.  :rolleyes:

Rather hard for me to believe in the context of this thread that P-38J fliers would want to flame me for pointing out that it is mostly a high-quality pilot base that leads to the success the stats are showing, rather than inherent superiority of the plane itself. :devil
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:55:25 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »
Could work. I should point out, although both La-Las are equipped with massive radials attached to a very small amount of airplane, they do not seem to suffer from torque to the extent that 109-Ks, Spit14s, Tempests or other high-powered monsters do. For whatever reason.  :rolleyes:

Rather hard for me to believe in the context of this thread that P-38J fliers would want to flame me for pointing out that it is mostly a high-quality pilot base that leads to the success the stats are showing, rather than inherent superiority of the plane itself. :devil

it's the combination.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »

Do I have to repost the gunsight that was created specially for them to use?  Why is it they are the only ones that are able to use a gunsight that tells them exactly where to lead and shoot?  Is that not concrete proof enough?  Or the deal with torpedos.  Last night in the Mid-War arena I overheard two SAPP players on the radio talking about bombing a town with torpedos, why can they do that and us normal players cannot?  Again, need anymore proof there is a bias going on here?

Sure, you can deny it all you want but I think I've layed out a pretty good argument full of proof and facts, which you have not produced yourself to counter any of mine.  This just goes to show that you guys have something to hide.

I am not denying that as a Member of SAPP we are privvy to things others are not.  There are some amazing minds in that group with a passion for this game and the aircraft they love.  The residue of this (again) is a vast library of tried and true tactics along with some custom downloads which are used to enhance the abilities to which the P-38 can be utilized, all within the acceptable limits of "fair play" in the game. 
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2009, 04:32:01 PM »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2009, 04:35:16 PM »
Sounds like people just dont know how to fight the 38 because they've never fought in the 38. I'm not saying its an easy plane to kill givin the fact there is a good stick driving it. I'm just saying there's a way to get the better of every plane and every pilot flying that place. Screaming perk it... May make them a little less likely to be seen in numbers but the guys who know how to fly em, are still going to fly em, and you're still going to die... not knowing how to beat them.

What it really sounds like is you got your butt handed to you multiple times by someone in a 38 and you think it's the plane not the pilot. While the 38 is a sweet ride, its not invicible especially against some of the other planes in the MWA.

If you find your rear getting handed to you over and over again you should do one of two things. Watch and learn... Or grab a ride that's comparable in flight characteristics and work them... While you're watching and learning.

At the end of the day crying does no good to better your ability. In this game or anything else for that matter.

Edit: Oh and if its a troll so be it... But what was written goes for anyone who has a problem with a different plane they think should be perked or what have you.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:38:08 PM by Morpheus »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »
Get it INto your head, budd. The SAPP guys are not freakin' gods. Go fly a Lightning and see how difficult it is. I still can't kill a Spitfire VIII on a regular basis and I fly the Lightning on a regular basis...

You just might feel the wrath of the "Consortium of Twelve".   Especially "The Grand Exalted Ruler."   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »
You just might feel the wrath of the "Consortium of Twelve".   Especially "The Grand Exalted Ruler."   

Crap.

I guess that thunder, lightning and blazing rain didn't come from just anywhere when I posted that message...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:47:56 PM by SgtPappy »
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »
Crap.

I guess that thunder, lightning and blazing rain didn't come from just anywhere when I posted that message...

You're wound tighter than a Timex at it's limit.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC