Author Topic: justice for Oscar grant  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Re: justice for Oscar grant
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
Sorry.  Police officers are trained and paid and expected to follow the rules of escalation.

Are you a cop Tango?

His brother is a Fed, he's told us that at least 3 times in this thread alone.....does that count?  :P
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
So you are saying because he was resisting is the reason it escalated to the point of the officer reacting?

Guess that means he would still be alive if he had done what the cops said and not resisted.

Thats the point I've been making but everyone wants to lynch the cop and put ALL the blame on him. The cop is responsible for his actions but none want to make Grant responsible for his.

The police have training to deal with situations like this and should be able to deal with them without resorting to deadly force. Due to their training the police should be held to the highest standards possible in situations such as this.

I would hazard a guess that similar scenarios to this one are played out many times each day across this country and no one else gets killed.

As someone else pointed out, look at all the crap Rodney King pulled and he didn't end up dead. (He did get the crap kicked out of him though.) Grant didn't use or even attempt to use deadly force, the police officer did and he did so without just cause. There can be no just cause in using deadly force when you have a suspect face down on the ground.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »
How you can still try to defend that is incomprehensible,

I never said I was defending the cop. Its the fact that everyone wants to put ALL the blame on the cop and none on Grant. IF he had done what the cops told him to do and not resisted then it would have had a differnet ending. Instead it set everything in motion for it to escalate to that ending.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »
Perhaps if Grant we're still around we'd agree that he ought to learn not to resist arrest.  Unfortunately, that isn't an option is it?
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »
I never said I was defending the cop. Its the fact that everyone wants to put ALL the blame on the cop and none on Grant. IF he had done what the cops told him to do and not resisted then it would have had a differnet ending. Instead it set everything in motion for it to escalate to that ending.

Only the cop is responsible for escalating the events to deadly force. He did have a tazer and could have used that option instead. He either consciously, or subconsciously chose to use deadly force instead of just enough force to subdue Mr. Grant.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »

I suggest you read:  "Into the Kill Zone:  A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force" by David Klinger.   I read this just as I was beginning to start on Academy.   My wife didn't want to become a cop after we married.   

Read the book.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2009, 02:42:02 PM »
Only the cop is responsible for escalating the events to deadly force. He did have a tazer and could have used that option instead. He either consciously, or subconsciously chose to use deadly force instead of just enough force to subdue Mr. Grant.

And still you ignore the fact that the cop would not have done so if Grant had not resisted and allowed them to cuff him. He would be alive and the cop wouldn't be on trial.

Instead you guys place all the blame on the actions of one but ignore the actions of the other.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2009, 03:48:26 PM »
And still you ignore the fact that the cop would not have done so if Grant had not resisted and allowed them to cuff him. He would be alive and the cop wouldn't be on trial.

Instead you guys place all the blame on the actions of one but ignore the actions of the other.

Again, you ignore the fact that the police are trained to deal with these types of situations properly. This officer did not deal with this situation in the proper way. He used deadly force when it was not needed and in fact was more along the lines of an execution since the suspect was laying face down and was shot in the back. It wasn't like he was going to get away with all those cops there.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2009, 03:27:10 AM »
And again you ignore the fact that if he did what was asked of him the cop would never had made that mistake in the first place.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
And again you ignore the fact that if he did what was asked of him the cop would never had made that mistake in the first place.

If the defense uses this type of statement, they're screwed.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
If the defense uses this type of statement, they're screwed.   

So your saying that only the police should be held in acount of thier actions but not citizens?
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »
"Dispersal of blame" is hardly at stake here.   He fluffied up, regardless of "resisting arrest", now he has to face the consequences. 

You seem to forget I respect all LEO's, but this is a profession where "mistakes" cannot be made.   Especially "Use of Force". 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2009, 09:50:18 PM »
Yet I find it funny that you place ALL the blame on the outcome of that incident on the cop and say Grant was totally innocent in his actions.

I guess you are one of those that say the 4 cops who shot Diallo are guilty of murder as well.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
You're whole stance in this thread is based on "assumptions" of what we "feel".   You're way off base on this and I pray to God that you are NOT an LEO.   

It doesn't MATTER what they did at this point, he's caught in a possible lie.   If you confuse a stun gun with a duty weapon, WTSHTF, you are in the wrong profession.   END OF STORY.

I'm done with this one, it's "excessive force" backed by "lies and mistakes".   He'll go to prison and rightly so. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »
Edit:To remove reply-better off staying out
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:12:28 PM by Sox62 »