Author Topic: White Phosphorus munitions a bad thing????  (Read 2140 times)

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
Re: White Phosphorus munitions a bad thing????
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 01:02:32 PM »
Politics aside, Use of white Phosphorus in urban areas is going to cause a lot of casualities, If it was a grenade or such then maybe the damage would be local, but to drop this stuff from  something like an arty shell will cause a lot of damage to people, Imagine a tracer round hitting you, the burn effects are much the same as this stuff.
Just shows a lot of people that have never experienced being in contact that nobody gets away scott free, even the Civvies get hurt, Being engaged in contact is no joke or video game.
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »
yup, thats because they are hardly a threat. deaths inside Israel from rocket and mortar attacks 2001-2008: 17. thats about 2.5 a year. deaths from paracetamol use in Israel per year: about 40.

I'm not saying its not frightening, just saying that you have less chance of being killed by a Hamas rockets in Israel than ... pretty much anything else.
That is one of the dumbest things ive seen said in a long time, that 8 years of constant rocket barrages on civilian populations are hardly a threat, how about you count the number of kids in sderot who are 13 14 15 16 years old who wet the bed every night from stress induced syndroms from the rocket attacks, or maybe the number of people who maybe didnt die, but lost a limb, were injured badly and or suffer from a number of syndroms induced by panic, or can you return those 8 years to people who have livid in holes in the ground, or an young kid 6,7 or 8 years old who doesnt know what life is without a siren, or a rocket falling.People live thier lives in fear. Excuse my lecturing but i dont consider this hardly a threat.

And property damage is just a whole nother story.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:55:53 PM by evenhaim »
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »
as I implied, I understand that the perceived threat is very frightening, however I think its vital to apprecate the real threat (stats supplied by the Israeli govt btw).

when many westerners hear about rockets "raining down" on Israel they might picture ss-20s, scuds or some foreign versions of the formidable NATO arsenal, whereas the reality is very different in terms of capability.

I also appreciate that non-fatal casualties of any conflict are far greater in number and broader in political effect than the fatalities. I'm pretty sure you dont want me to look into those numbers in any detail.

Out of respect for a former squaddie and a someone I suspect to be a standup guy I'm sorry if you dont like what I've posted, but as an impartial observer I feel obliged to add a little balance to opinions about the conflict on this board. :salute
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »
This Board is for Discussions. That can't happen without differing opinions or with someone at least looking from the other side. Your opinion counts be it right or wrong just as mine does right or wrong.  <S>
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
Civilians?? Which ones are those? They live among the combatants and do not point them out, makes them just as bad.
not an intelligent statement.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline smkelly13

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
It makes them normal people who don't want to abandon the home they've probably lived in since they were born. 
forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions
-
Soon you will be able to buy a GM product imported from China at a Wal Mart Super Center.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
"Big deal or not a big deal??? I think war should be waged all out no matter what. Any time you leave anything behind you create a bigger problem down the road."

I bet your chair is comfortable, so reach out for a book and find out that this is exactly how Hitler wanted it, i.e. in Russia.
Wage the war out against the children, this is good for that job. Lice are bad, so kill the nits.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »
If you can't then move. If you stay you put your family at risk. It is not Israel's fault. The are protecting their own. Would be up to you to do the same.

No moving, the blockade.  Why do they need anti-tank shells that turn desert to glass against ramshackle buildings anyway?
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
No moving, the blockade.  Why do they need anti-tank shells that turn desert to glass against ramshackle buildings anyway?

Well looks like hamas brought a knife to a gunfight. Short of a nuke strike I think they should use the weapons they have available.

Folks have to know they are in a danger zone when by their home rockets are fired towards another country. Some folks have watched was too many videos of "smart bombs" taking out keyhole targets. There can and will be collateral damage.

I live in an area where there are alot of plants... fuel and chemical. I accept that those are targets and chose to live here. If anything happens I won't blame yall.

As for a blockade..... rocket attacks have been going on a long time. Way before the blockade was enabled.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:47:48 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline smkelly13

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »
A WP round is not anti-tank, it's anti-personnel.  I always hated shooting these on a timed fuse.  At MOS school they showed us a clip of a gun crew that screwed up the fuse.  It wasn't pretty.
forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions
-
Soon you will be able to buy a GM product imported from China at a Wal Mart Super Center.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »
Well, we can be thankful for small mercies anyway, given the density of the Gaza strip, it wouild be worse if the Israelis were doing a Hamas and just lobbing in unguided rockets into built up areas.
Anyway, few weeks from now it'll go quiet again, That despot regime that is just a little bit ranked above Zimbabwe in terms of political freedom known as Egypt will make sure the tunnels are  not blocked, they'll still get billions in aid from the US, the wheel will keep turning and there'll be a new thread in a short while on the same stuff.
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »
I always call for HE when I request WP... otherwise known as Shake-n-bake...anyways..Willy Pete is used for screening, marking, obscurring or limiting vision....it is used against vehicles, POL(petroleum, oil and lubricant) fascilities and enemy observers... According to LOW(Law of War) WP cannot be used against civilians.. then again..collateral damage is an accepted consequence of war.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 08:43:16 PM »
as I implied, I understand that the perceived threat is very frightening, however I think its vital to apprecate the real threat (stats supplied by the Israeli govt btw).

when many westerners hear about rockets "raining down" on Israel they might picture ss-20s, scuds or some foreign versions of the formidable NATO tomatonal, whereas the reality is very different in terms of capability.

I also appreciate that non-fatal casualties of any conflict are far greater in number and broader in political effect than the fatalities. I'm pretty sure you dont want me to look into those numbers in any detail.

Out of respect for a former squaddie and a someone I suspect to be a standup guy I'm sorry if you dont like what I've posted, but as an impartial observer I feel obliged to add a little balance to opinions about the conflict on this board. :salute

That does not make what Hamas is doing and has done all along anything other than terrorism. If some clown keeps throwing bricks at my house and in my yard, and the police do not respond, I'm going to respond, not in kind, but rather I will rapidly escalate things to a quick end. The fact that he's not killed any of my family yet is not going to change it either. My intentions will be to deal with him as quickly and harshly as is necessary to prevent him from ever doing it again.

It also does not change the fact that not only does Hamas commit terrorist acts on a constant and regular basis, but they also do so while hiding among civilians, and further, operating from or next to schools, hospitals, and mosques, doing so in a deliberate manner intended to cause maximum collateral damage in a retaliatory strike. Hamas intentionally gets their own people killed or maimed in an at least partially successful public relations campaign.

And finally, the inhabitants of Gaza evidently freely elected Hamas, a terrorist organization, as their government and their representative to the world. As such, all of those who voted, evidently overwhelmingly, to elect Hamas, must bear a large part of the responsibility, almost as large as Hamas itself, and certainly far larger than Israel.

Only the children get any real sympathy from me. And possibly some of the women.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
Willy Pete is used for screening, marking, obscurring or limiting vision....it is used against vehicles, POL(petroleum, oil and lubricant) fascilities and enemy observers... According to LOW(Law of War) WP cannot be used against civilians.. then again..collateral damage is an accepted consequence of war.
Well said.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 01:41:35 AM »
That does not make what Hamas is doing and has done all along anything other than terrorism. If some clown keeps throwing bricks at my house and in my yard, and the police do not respond, I'm going to respond, not in kind, but rather I will rapidly escalate things to a quick end. The fact that he's not killed any of my family yet is not going to change it either. My intentions will be to deal with him as quickly and harshly as is necessary to prevent him from ever doing it again.

It also does not change the fact that not only does Hamas commit terrorist acts on a constant and regular basis, but they also do so while hiding among civilians, and further, operating from or next to schools, hospitals, and mosques, doing so in a deliberate manner intended to cause maximum collateral damage in a retaliatory strike. Hamas intentionally gets their own people killed or maimed in an at least partially successful public relations campaign.

And finally, the inhabitants of Gaza evidently freely elected Hamas, a terrorist organization, as their government and their representative to the world. As such, all of those who voted, evidently overwhelmingly, to elect Hamas, must bear a large part of the responsibility, almost as large as Hamas itself, and certainly far larger than Israel.

Only the children get any real sympathy from me. And possibly some of the women.

Couldn't agree with you more!  It would be like Europe telling us we couldnt go after Al-Queda after 9/11.  I know there is major difference between 9/11 and Hamas launching rockets into Isreal.  But no one wants their civilians being terrorized!! 

GO ISREAL!! Do what no other country would do!!
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO